Billyhoyle

Flo Announcers

I have love for the most part for FLO as well, the major problem I have is that they claim they are "taking on the big dogs" such as ESPN & Fox Sports but running an amateur hour operation down there in Texas.

If they are going to present themselves as THE LEADER in wrestling and a front-runner in the digital sports broadcasting space, you better be ready to backup that statement.  Not have your poster child & huge brand ambassador for the company getting drunk and running his mouth on twitter (willie) and have your announcers at what is essentially the superbowl for FLO (their creation & baby) screaming into the microphone like you're calling a middle school state championship basketball game.

Hey let's not malign middle-school sports broadcasts!

Could Flo could tighten up the commentary for live events?  Sure.  However, these guys love what they do, and I won't fault them for being enthusiastic on the call.  Minor issue, IMO. 

I'll never understand the hate people have for the company.  They've been 99.9% positive for the sport and have allowed me, personally, to watch about 10 times as much wrestling as I ever could before.  My annual subscription fee is the best money I spend all year, every year.  My only gripe is lack of capacity for the biggest events when the webcasts crash.  That does piss me off something fierce. 

Who cares if they love what they do? That doesn't really mean much. One can love doing something, yet be bad at it and unqualified. I don't get the mindset that it is Flo or nothing and the sub-mindset that within Flo, the current hacks on the mic are the only ones in the world capable of doing the job.

Wrestling's relationship with Flo is the equivalent of a domestic abuse situation. The wrestling community keeps getting beat on with poor production, failed feeds, poor billing practices,  etc. We keep coming back hoping things change, hoping that people will change and they never do. Bader has been with Flo for how long, and some of you still think he is going to "tighten up" or present himself in a professional manner? Flo has had feed issues for how many years?

What's sad is now many of you are convinced you don't deserve better and wrestling doesn't deserve any better and will stick with Flo no matter how much you get abused.

Surprised to see criticism of Bader. I for one appreciate Bader's presence at Flo. Bader's skilled as an interviewer, he's not a dick, he expresses no delusions of grandeur, he's not a podcast warrior, and he doesn't resort to snark in every statement he makes. Bader a good part of Flo.

Edited by jon

Over the last few years, Flo has gotten very good at understanding freestyle wrestling (the rules, tactics, and wrestlers). This has significantly improved their product and set themselves very much apart from anyone else who even attempts it.

I do agree that using a traditional pbp and color roles would help improve their live productions.

Surprised to see criticism of Bader. I for one appreciate Bader's presence at Flo. Bader's skilled as an interviewer, he's not a dick, he expresses no delusions of grandeur, he's not a podcast warrior, and he doesn't resort to snark in every statement he makes. Bader a good part of Flo.

He is also widely regarded as an obnoxious on-air personality when commentating on live events. He is pretty much a glorified fan boy who has not improved over years worth of chances,

Bader is a good part of Flo; he is not good on the mic for live events. Both of these statements can be true. 

Yup. I feel the same way about the podcast host -- whatever his name is. Annoying, combative, loud, offputting on the podcast but good during live events. I remember being impressed by his performance during, I think, Dennis v. Humphrey at WTT a few years ago.

EDIT: Maybe the match I remember is not Dennis v. Humphrey? Podcast host good during live events, not so much during podcasts, not so much during interviews.

Edited by jon

Yup. I feel the same way about the podcast host -- whatever his name is. Annoying, combative, loud, offputting on the podcast but good during live events. I remember being impressed by his performance during, I think, Dennis v. Humphrey at WTT a few years ago.

EDIT: Maybe the match I remember is not Dennis v. Humphrey? Podcast host good during live events, not so much during podcasts, not so much during interviews.

I've been very critical of flo and their staff. What has been said about Bader is true. Great interviewer; needs to work on his pbp. I actually think Pyles does great on both matches and podcasts. He keeps it professional and does a good job of reeling in the others on the podcast. He knows the rules and inside info better than anyone. Imo Willie has to go. If you listen to the podcasts he simply replays what everyone else says in a less fluent and understandable way or he just says something polarizing. He stammers and stutters his way through his thoughts. His ideas are not insightful enough to waste time listening to for how long it takes him to get them out of his mouth. Not sure what his draw is. Most of the time the other people on the podcasts need to update him on current wrestling events. Edited by russelscout

Lol at the end of the day they are just wrestling fans reacting to a match, they aren't professionally trained hosts... no biggie... when the NCAA's are on ESPN, we can get that "you talk then I talk" feel, but in the "wild-west" that is the rest of the season, we get full on fan-style reactions, just as we get full on blatantly misplaced support/build-up of certain athletes they personally like. Just the way it is and I'm ok with it

I honestly believe this is by design.  They do it this way to appeal to the younger adult/teen wrestlers.  I know this because Flo hired a guy I know to do the commentating in the grappling and he was instructed to commentate with the same style as what we had for Final X.  He was told that was the branding they wanted to go with.  Maybe that doesnt apply to the wrestling side, but it sure seems like it.

I honestly believe this is by design.  They do it this way to appeal to the younger adult/teen wrestlers.  I know this because Flo hired a guy I know to do the commentating in the grappling and he was instructed to commentate with the same style as what we had for Final X.  He was told that was the branding they wanted to go with.  Maybe that doesnt apply to the wrestling side, but it sure seems like it.

That's odd that they want the commentators talking over each other.  I get them telling the announcers to act excited by the action, but the simultaneous play by play/color commentary thing is by design-strange?

I don't think teens/young adults actually like this.  

Who has done more to grow the sport of wrestling in the United States than Flo in the last 10 years? 

espn?

everyone can watch espn. 

Flo has done a great job of providing insiders with info and matches for the last 10 years.

grow the sport? not really.

cement it with the base? yes.

non to avg fans are not going to watch flo and say hey, thats cool.

I don’t mind the “informal” announcing but I’ll say I’m embarrassed when my wife listens in. I usually lower the volume rather than explain why someone brought their hips to the party.

i dont mind that ... its a little weird. 

but listening to the cws this year on espn, they have gone to so much jargon and their little inside crap that sometimes they are almost getting to the level of flo... 

espn?

everyone can watch espn.

Flo has done a great job of providing insiders with info and matches for the last 10 years.

grow the sport? not really.

cement it with the base? yes.

non to avg fans are not going to watch flo and say hey, thats cool.

Certainly one way to look at it.

Another is that Flo has retained/captured wrestling fans that would have typically left following the sport outside of the Olympics and NCAA Finals. Its arguable that this infact has grown the viewership of the sport.

So while Flo may not have brought in non-wrestling people to start watching wrestling, it absolutely has retained wrestling people who otherwise in previous years would have probably walked away from the sport.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Certainly one way to look at it.

Another is that Flo has retained/captured wrestling fans that would have typically left following the sport outside of the Olympics and NCAA Finals. Its arguable that this infact has grown the viewership of the sport.

So while Flo may not have brought in non-wrestling people to start watching wrestling, it absolutely has retained wrestling people who otherwise in previous years would have probably walked away from the sport.

exactly what i was saying... they cemented the base... to a certain degree.

is that like jobs saved being reported as job growth? 

exactly what i was saying... they cemented the base... to a certain degree.

is that like jobs saved being reported as job growth?

If those jobs never previously existed then yes that's job growth. Flo has created a market that previously didnt exist thus viewership has grown. My point in growing the sport is that there are more people watching wrestling now than there was in say 2003.

Don'tcha think viewership would be *even better* in times of 'big boy media'? In other words: No yearlong lock-in, no flaky streaming, no offputting personalities, no Flobros-circlejerk-let's-screenshot-eachother's-tweets-and-post-on-Instagram-rather-than-actually-doing-something-to-grow-the-sport, no 'greatest mind' nonsense, no mocking Tony Rotundo, no calling Jason Bryant irrelevant, no defiance and denial??

Billie strives to be Vince McMahon and he sounds a lot like Dana White but he doesn't have the results to back up so much bravado.

Flo's been great for Flo. And for wrestling documentaries. No more and no less.

Edited by jon

If those jobs never previously existed then yes that's job growth. Flo has created a market that previously didnt exist thus viewership has grown. My point in growing the sport is that there are more people watching wrestling now than there was in say 2003.

the viewers existed. they didn't have a place to view. yes, there are more viewing now than before.

are there more people wanting to view now? people who didn't want to view before?

that is the question.

if not, they are not 'growing' wrestling. only viewership 

dont think i dont appreciate what they are doing.

but they are not the answer to GROWING the sport.

Edited by GockeS

I'm sure the play by play would improve if FLO hired Brent Musberger or Howard Cosell!

Fact is there aren't many pro commentators on real wrestling. But there's still some good ones that Flo should consider tapping into: Lee Roy Smith is superb and probably my favorite. Jack Spates enthusiasm for the sport is still limitless and he knows his ****, too. Flo's problem is they keep getting the young guys who are too interested in being funny or "cool" than just calling it like it is. I'd suggest an old timer like Lee Roy and one of the new guys team up. The old timers make the pertinent comments, the youngsters can make the pithy/funny comments to their heart's content.

Jack Spates is a fun guy to listen to, but I wouldn't say his commentary is great. It is okay.

I just don't understand most people on this forum...we want wrestling commentary to resemble other sports? It would resemble other sports' commentary if its action resembled other sports, but it is unique. Commentary for wrestling is going to be weird because action is not as predictable. You don't march towards points like football and even soccer. The best reaction from fans in wrestling is the surprised "ooooh." That is much different than all other sports that feature commentary. 

Also, as someone who is knowledgable about wrestling and not knowledgeable about football, I'm bored and annoyed with football announcers because they almost never tell me something I'm not seeing on tv or just already know from watching football as a kid. Wrestling announcers should not try to emulate football announcers really in any way. If you see traditional sport announcers as a professional standard, then I guess I just will not see it this way, and we can high five and both wish for different things. 

I don’t mind the “informal” announcing but I’ll say I’m embarrassed when my wife listens in. I usually lower the volume rather than explain why someone brought their hips to the party.

If you're embarrassed about wrestling, everyone else will be too. 

Do football fans blush when the QB puts his hands on the center's ass to start every play?