Billyhoyle

Flo Announcers

Just as much data that the fans who claim that flo ISNT growing the sport.

Flo doesn't promote wrestling? Flo is constantly promoting their product both domestically and internationally.

The burden of proof is on those making the affirmative claim, which in this case is your camp. Show some data to support your claims that wrestling fans are leaving the sport at a slower rate, continuing to follow the sport, etc.

The burden of proof is on those making the affirmative claim, which in this case is your camp. Show some data to support your claims that wrestling fans are leaving the sport at a slower rate, continuing to follow the sport, etc.

And that affirmative claim was that Flo does nothing to grow the sport.

maybe this is a stupid question but what entity has "grown the sport of wrestling" and what have they done specifically to grow it?

thank you. 

I invite my friends over and give them free beer in exchange for watching wrestling meets they probably wouldn't have ever watched. Now a few occasionally go to Carver for big meets and follow guys like Gilman, Burroughs, and Dake internationally and are tangentially aware of when things are going on (mostly because I invite them over for free beer).

Please let me know where I can pick up my award.

I invite my friends over and give them free beer in exchange for watching wrestling meets they probably wouldn't have ever watched. Now a few occasionally go to Carver for big meets and follow guys like Gilman, Burroughs, and Dake internationally and are tangentially aware of when things are going on (mostly because I invite them over for free beer).

Please let me know where I can pick up my award.

that is tremendous. I am sending your likeness to the engraver as I type. 

maybe this is a stupid question but what entity has "grown the sport of wrestling" and what have they done specifically to grow it?

thank you.

I would think one can claim the UFC has grown the sport. Through their popularity, and the dominance of wrestlers who are, have worn the belt, more and more youngins are aware of the importance of wrestling in MMA. I don’t have any numbers to provide but just in talking to people involved with gyms and stuff I know there are kids training and following wrestling because of MMA

The only person who can tangibly claim to be growing the sport are the coaches that are actively and literally recruit youth kids to wrestle. 

The ones that are telling kids "Hey you should try wrestling"

Outside of that they're all evil and greedy leeches, like Flo. 

Flo profits and takes money from the sport of wrestling without doing anything to grow it. 

They're sooo evil!!! evil evil evil!!! (sarcasm obviously)

Edited by BigTenFanboy

thank you.

In this case USA wrestling has the responsibility for promoting and growing the sport. People like myself, question the decision to hide USA wrestling's premier product behind a subscription-based streaming service. This seems counter to the idea of growing the sport beyond the current boundaries.

In this case USA wrestling has the responsibility for promoting and growing the sport. People like myself, question the decision to hide USA wrestling's premier product behind a subscription-based streaming service. This seems counter to the idea of growing the sport beyond the current boundaries.

I would agree to an extent. I think there is no problem at all with partnering with a subscrition based service. However I think in terms of “growing the sport”, I think it would be good for USAW to have some language in the contract stating that after ‘X’ number of days after an event, archived video be available to the public. Live events and documentaries available to subscribers only.

I'm not asking who has responsibility. i'm asking who has grown the sport and what did they do, specifically, to grow it. 

thank you in advance. 

However I think in terms of “growing the sport”, I think it would be good for USAW to have some language in the contract stating that after ‘X’ number of days after an event, archived video be available to the public. Live events and documentaries available to subscribers only.

good news! that's exactly how it works. for instance, here is Burroughs v Chamizo from 2018's Beat the Streets

same deal for all USA Wrestling events, whether with Flo or anyone else. 

UWW has some the stipulation. Here's Snyder v Sadulaev from the Paris world championship

I'm not asking who has responsibility. i'm asking who has grown the sport and what did they do, specifically, to grow it.

thank you in advance.

I'm specifically addressing the relationship between USA Wrestling and Flo. Listing out every coach, organization, or entity who helps to grow wrestling isn't really relevant to that point. Edited by Missourimatman

good news! that's exactly how it works. for instance, here is Burroughs v Chamizo from 2018's Beat the Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEvML2SAWY&t=83s

same deal for all USA Wrestling events, whether with Flo or anyone else.

UWW has some the stipulation. Here's Snyder v Sadulaev from the Paris world championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6a_i5q68o

There are a whoooooooole lot of past events and matches that cannot be watched unless you’re a subscriber. Trust me I hand out my log in to others enough to friends who want to watch matches, from some time ago. A charity event this year and world championships, which is operated by UWW and not USAW, does not equal “that’s exactly how it works”.

I’m on your guys side and respect what you’re doing, so let’s not be disingenuous.

Edited by Lurker

I'm specifically addressing the relationship between USA Wrestling and Flo. Listing out every coach, organization, or entity who helps to grow wrestling isn't really relevant to that point.

I asked a new question. you can keep talking about USAW and Flo if you want but I'm asking everyone who people think grows the sport and what they do exactly. you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, free country dude!

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

There are a whoooooooole lot of past events and matches that cannot be watched unless you’re a subscriber. Trust me I hand out my log in to others enough to friends who want to watch matches, from some time ago. A charity event this year and world championships, which is operated by UWW and not USAW, does not equal “that’s exactly how it works”.

I’m on your guys side and respect what you’re doing, so let’s not be disingenuous.

my man, i'm not lying to you. the deal is that after a certain period of time (not exactly sure but I think it's about 2 weeks), USAW and UWW is free to distribute their content however they wish. usually, that means putting the matches up on youtube but there's nothing forcing USAW and UWW to do so. but in fact that is exactly how it works. ask USAW and UWW you don't believe me. 

Jaroslav, did they ever announce the live gate attendance at each Final X venue? Also is it possible to announce how many viewers watched Final X on Flo? (Like they do with TV ratings.) 

Thanks.

my man, i'm not lying to you. the deal is that after a certain period of time (not exactly sure but I think it's about 2 weeks), USAW and UWW is free to distribute their content however they wish. usually, that means putting the matches up on youtube but there's nothing forcing USAW and UWW to do so. but in fact that is exactly how it works. ask USAW and UWW you don't believe me. 

let me amend that and just say I don't know **exactly*** how it works so USAW or someone higher up the food chain at Flo should correct or clarify anything I've written but within a pretty brief period of time, all USAW and UWW matches *should* be up on youtube, free to watch. if they are not, don't ask me why, I just know that's how it is supposed to work!

Jaroslav, did they ever announce the live gate attendance at each Final X venue? Also is it possible to announce how many viewers watched Final X on Flo? (Like they do with TV ratings.) 

Thanks.

I am not aware of any live attendance announcements but the numbers may be out there. I don't think Flo every announced them. also that's a negative on the viewership numbers. maybe when Netflix starts publishing their viewer data we will join in as well ;)

I am not aware of any live attendance announcements but the numbers may be out there. I don't think Flo every announced them. also that's a negative on the viewership numbers. maybe when Netflix starts publishing their viewer data we will join in as well ;)

I think wrestling fans will be saddened to see lower viewership numbers and unfairly compare them to more mainstream and viral video numbers.

here is the Hidlay v Deakin U23 mfs final from Akron from less than a month ago. 

Here's IMar v Nazar from the finals of the WTT challenge tournament in Rochester from mid May

to be honest I don't know if Final X is under a separate deal or not so no promises for those matches. 

junior duals from like a week ago are also already up if you just go to the USAW youtube page and scroll down. 

the latest women's rankings series from China is up on UWW youtube page as well. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

let me amend that and just say I don't know **exactly*** how it works so USAW or someone higher up the food chain at Flo should correct or clarify anything I've written but within a pretty brief period of time, all USAW and UWW matches *should* be up on youtube, free to watch. if they are not, don't ask me why, I just know that's how it is supposed to work!

I can concede I based my previous statement off the fact I get asked about watching this match or that match. So I take you at your word and if that’s how it’s supposed to work within the contract, kudos to you guys because that’s how it should be to grow the sport. And I do know you guys are wrestling enthusiasts first, making a business out of that passion.