Sign in to follow this  
nom

Our Men’s FS world team

This team is pretty damn close to a dream team for me. Freakin excited about every single guy in the lineup. Every single one can get a medal. Several are real gold medal threats. Super damn pumped.

Wish it wasn’t 4 months away as a fan. But I figure it is good for the guys to get a bit of a break and then really train for the international skill set.

57k Thomas Gilman

61k Nahshon Garrett

65k Logan Steiber

70k James Green

74k Jordan Burroughs

79k Kyle Dake

86k David Taylor

92k J'Den Cox

97k Kyle Snyder

125k Nick Gwizdowski

Now that's what I call a lineup!

Would anyone be shocked if all 10 weights brought home a medal?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

57k Thomas Gilman

61k Nahshon Garrett

65k Logan Steiber

70k James Green

74k Jordan Burroughs

79k Kyle Dake

86k David Taylor

92k J'Den Cox

97k Kyle Snyder

125k Nick Gwizdowski

Yes, I would be. That is highly unlikely to happen.

I’m one who would be very shocked if we came home with ten medals. Not being a Debbie Downer, and yes I’m as excited about this team as any in a long time. But we need to come down to earth a little and remember that in many cases it takes a good draw and some good fortune to medal. It’s not like we are top four in the world at each weight. If I had to lay down $100 on each weight, yes or no to medal:

Gilman: no (but I’d think on it for a bit)

Garret: no (consistency)

Steiber: no (I’d have to think it a bit, but again consistency)

Green: yes (he could take that final step)

Burroughs: (yes and I’d put the 100 on gold)

Dake: yes (it’s his time)

Taylor: yes (his too)

Cox: yes (good shot at gold if Sad is up)

Snyder: yes (100 on gold Sad or no Sad)

Gwiz: yes (solid bronze, not beating Tak Or Pet)

I would be surprised if we didn’t defend the team title.

Edited by Lurker

57k Thomas Gilman

61k Nahshon Garrett

65k Logan Steiber

70k James Green

74k Jordan Burroughs

79k Kyle Dake

86k David Taylor

92k J'Den Cox

97k Kyle Snyder

125k Nick Gwizdowski

All team members have a chance to medal.

I know the world stage is a different level, but I think we will have to implode to not get 5 medals.  My logic is this...

JB: 6 medals in 7 competition, and what, a combined 3 loses to international wrestlers in his career. 

Snyder: 3 for 3 Gold.

+2 very likely medalist with those two, and probably Gold. 

Cox: Olympic and Bronze Medalist

Green: 2X World Medalist

At least +1 medalist between time 

3 Potentials, but not highly probable

Gilman, Logie, Garrett:  Gilman and Logie both made the finals in their first world team trip. We seem to always pop someone into the medals who isn't really expected.  So I feel one out of this group of 3 will sneak through.  I am going to go with Garrett.  I said it in another part of the forum.  He has world class speed that is hard to train for.  He is unknown and will be less scouted.  Logie medaled his first time through, Gilman did, Zain was right there.  I think Garrett will be the one that pops.  Even if not, someone in this group will likely get a favorable draw.  

So +1 medals from this group.

Taylor and Dake: Both on their first world team, but I don't think anyone in the world doesn't think they are a threat.  I know it is the worlds and there are a lot of variables, but it is hard to imagine both of them not placing. At least one should get their world medal

So +1 medal

Gwiz:  Returning world medalist.  I know heavy weight is tough.  I put Gwiz by himself and not with Logie, Giman, and Nashan, despite Gilman taking Silver last year.  I don't know where I really stand with his chances.  He just seems to be improving at such a fast rate.  He looks even better than he did at the last worlds.  So I say he is a 50/50 chance.

So like I said, I think we have to implode big time to not get 5-medals.  Realistically I think we walk away with at least 6-medals.

Gilman and Stieber are both flukes. No medal between the two.

Garrett, finishes sloppy could be a semi finalist or go out early.

Cox and Green - good wrestlers with high medal potential but anti US bias hits and both finish 5th.

Dake and Taylor - Big unknowns. Had success at various tourney against great opponents. I can see first time jitters or steamrolling through. Maybe a bronze between the two though not both.

JB and Snyder - Nuff said

Gwiz - can he repeat past success?

I really want to see a huge medal haul, however this is the big stage and the rest of the world is good too and too many variables. Officiating is always suspect.

I know you all know this, but picking our guy's world placings is 180 degree different than picking something like the NCAA's.  I think that with the exception of Snyder, you could flip a coin at each weight.  Then again, Snyder could get caught early on by Salas minus the comeback..  I thought Gilman was a definite no medal last year.  Someone I think has no shot will medal this year, hopefully multiple.  

That said, the standard set by Burroughs (which led to the team title last year) & other leaders on the team, I believe we're back to back World Champs this year.

1.) Yes I would be shocked if we took home hardware at every weight. Like the other posters have said, these are the BEST wrestlers the rest if the world has to offer, an unfavorable draw with multiple hammers on your side, hopefully you lose to the right one or you won't have a shot at bronze.... if we bring home 6-7 medals and that team title I'll be happy but an over/under of 5.5 is where I'd set it. Maybe 4.5... but like the above poster said 5 seems to be Kind a of the "expected"... but like always something unexpected happens. Should be fun.

2.) Did we ever learn what happened to Maple? That's my least confident weight and given a good tourney he could've placed.

3.) Gwiz looked great I can't see him beating the top 2 but would love to see him gain the confidence/momentum of upsetting one. He seems to "know" he is better here lately, and really taking some scoring initiative. Here's hoping for big thangs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My predictions:

57k Thomas Gilman : no medal
61k Nahshon Garrett  : no medal
65k Logan Steiber : no medal
70k James Green : bronze
74k Jordan Burroughs : gold
79k Kyle Dake : bronze
86k David Taylor : silver/gold
92k J'Den Cox : no medal
97k Kyle Snyder : silver 
125k Nick Gwizdowski: bronze

Its a great team, but won't beat Russia for team title, too weak at the lower weights. It will be a toss up between U.S. and AZE for 2nd. 

I'd love for Taylor to win gold but I am not sure he beats Yazdani or Geduev. 

I am most curious how Taylor does, IMO, he may be currently the best wrestler in the world and he may prove that at the worlds.

Edited by wfan24

My predictions:

57k Thomas Gilman : no medal

61k Nahshon Garrett : no medal

65k Logan Steiber : no medal

70k James Green : bronze

74k Jordan Burroughs : gold

79k Kyle Dake : bronze

86k David Taylor : silver/gold

92k J'Den Cox : no medal

97k Kyle Snyder : silver

125k Nick Gwizdowski: bronze

Its a great team, but won't beat Russia for team title, too weak at the lower weights. It will be a toss up between U.S. and AZE for 2nd.

I'd love for Taylor to win gold but I am not sure he beats Yazdani or Geduev.

I am most curious how Taylor does, IMO, he may be currently the best wrestler in the world and he may prove that at the worlds.

Gedeuv at 86?

Spladle08 - I like how you broke that out. I we don’t get 5 medals I will be surprised. 5+ is a fair target. I think 6 is about right.

Fair points by many. Rest of the world has many studs. New studs will appear. But I am optimistic.

Spladle (not 08) seems to be a pessimist but it’s good to keep euphoria in check!

Agree with others that there's a big difference between having 10 that are capable of medaling and actually getting 10 medals. Even if you have Snyder and Burroughs at 100% to win and all others at 80% each, that's still only a 15% chance of 10 medals.

we didn't  even go 10/10 in '84...

Straw argument, no-one is predicting 10 medals. OP is saying there are POTENTIAL medalist at all 10 weights. Doesn't mean he (or anyone) thinks they will all in fact medal. 

Gilman and Stieber are both flukes. No medal between the two.

Garrett, finishes sloppy could be a semi finalist or go out early.

Cox and Green - good wrestlers with high medal potential but anti US bias hits and both finish 5th.

Dake and Taylor - Big unknowns. Had success at various tourney against great opponents. I can see first time jitters or steamrolling through. Maybe a bronze between the two though not both.

JB and Snyder - Nuff said

Gwiz - can he repeat past success?

I really want to see a huge medal haul, however this is the big stage and the rest of the world is good too and too many variables. Officiating is always suspect.

So you are predicting worst case scenario with three former medalist not repeating and still coming up with 3-4 medals. That's a strong team, personally I think the U.S. wins 5-6 medals. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Straw argument, no-one is predicting 10 medals. OP is saying there are POTENTIAL medalist at all 10 weights. Doesn't mean he (or anyone) thinks they will all in fact medal. 

no, I just provided a fact, for consideration and perspective.  

Edited by KTG119

Great lineup , then I go look at rankings and Russia is stacked.

But just rankings, we wrestle are best we can win.

I think, Taylor and Dake strengthen team tremendously.Especially how weight classes worked and they where able get slotted in.

if they wrestle as they can we can win this year.

Excited

Edited by cangemi