70 Romanov, 1

74 Tsabolov, 4

79 Gadzhimagomedov, 1

86 Naifonov, 3

92 Urishev, 5

97 Sadulaev, 2

125 Makhov, 3

Edited by ThorsteinV

We must not forget. The ten weights does good for us because it opens up for Dake and Taylor. But the Russians have that same situation in just about every weight class.

And it creates the same opportunities for Azerbaijan,Iran, Georgia, Uzbekistan, etc etc.

Edited by Lurker

It will be interesting how Taylor vs. Naifonov goes, last time Taylor mangled him, but Naifonov improves every month very much and is young, he looked much better at the Euros already. I don't like his style though; I am afraid he may win the worlds with an ugly style. Gadji @79kg however will be very tough to beat by anyone, I suspect he will win the worlds.

2007 - six golds and a bronze in seven weights... though the seventh gold medalist (Sahin "from" Turkey) grew up in and trained in Dagestan with the likes of Adam Saitiev, Farniev (the bronze medalist that year at that weight), Makhach Murtazaliev, the Batirov brothers, et al.

Way to go and burst my bubble guys! I was enjoying all this talk of this is our best team ever... then you have to go and post the Russian team's rankings. I did not realize they had that many guys ranked that high! I still think we have a shot at a team title, but it looks like they are the heavy favorite on paper. 

It will be interesting how Taylor vs. Naifonov goes, last time Taylor mangled him, but Naifonov improves every month very much and is young, he looked much better at the Euros already. I don't like his style though; I am afraid he may win the worlds with an ugly style. Gadji @79kg however will be very tough to beat by anyone, I suspect he will win the worlds.

I agree Gadji is the favorite after his performance at Yarygin, but he did look vulnerable at Euros, scraping by a couple matches.

Here is a list of Russia's top ranked wrestling, according to the Flo rankings:

57 Uguev, 4

61 Rashidov, 1

65 Bekbulatov, 2

70 Romanov, 1

74 Tsabolov, 4

79 Gadzhimagomedov, 1

86 Naifonov, 3

92 Urishev, 5

97 Sadulaev, 2

125 Makhov, 3

Daaaaaaaaaaamn. Russia is ranked to medal in al but one weight...where they are ranked to miss by a match...but USA fans are chanting we're number one...

You do have to wrestle to win though, and I hope we can pull off another win like last year. 

Our world rankings at 79 are about as good as I've ever seen the USA stack up against Russia in terms of depth. That is encouraging for our future/systemic success. 

You’re convinced only Russian dopers, er, wrestlers improve.

The Americans guys practice occasionally as well.

I’ve heard Taylor also does pushups a few nights per week.

Here's how I see it: 

57kg - Uguev -- Russia is surprisingly weak at 57kg at the moment.  Uguev is solid but very beatable, and there doesn't seem to be an heir apparent sitting in wait to replace him.  His ceiling is Bronze IMO.  

61kg - Rashidov -- It's his weight to lose.  

65kg - Bekbulatov -- Maybe the most accomplished wrestler alive without a world medal?  Whoever the rep is here should medal--nationals should be interesting.  Watch out for Chakaev.  

70kg - Ramanov or Kurbanaliev -- Either would be the favorite. 

74kg - Tsabalov -- I have a hunch Tsabalov loses at nationals... he hasn't been far ahead of the pack domestically at 74kg and he looked off at Euro's.  Usmanov is interesting... maybe Sidakov or Zaseev down at 74kg can make a leap. 

79kg - Gadzhimagomedov -- Clear favorite... hasn't lost a single match at 79kg to my knowledge.  R. Valiev could push him but I don't see an upset at nationals. 

86kg - Naifonov -- Seems clear the Federation believes Naifonov is the guy.  Wouldn't be shocked to see V. Valiev again.  Either probably ends up with Bronze. 

92kg -  Urishev / Sadulaev -- I know what the reports are and what Sadulaev said.  Still doesn't make sense to me.  Urishev isn't a lock for the spot if Sadulaev is at 97kg.  Look out for the kid Tsakulov.  

97kg - Baitcaev / Sadulaev -- Both would be favored to make the finals, depending on brackets.  Baitcaev pushed Sadulaev to the limit last year, and closed the gap massively on Snyder between their last two meetings.  This is not a foregone conclusion as Sadulaev's weight... Baitcaev will also have to fight the crowd and officials, though.  

125kg - Makhov -- Bronze medal, we just need Gwiz to avoid him.  

As I said, not sure Makhov wrestles...they urgently need a replacement for him.

I am not convinced of Tsabolov. He is too inconsistent. I would like to see some other dude get a look this year. 86kg Naifonov is not a lock if Geduev participates. Geduev has been quite absent recently. I hope Valiev does not wrestle, that dude is impossible to watch, boring as hell.

For Russia, I predict Gold for Ramonov, Sadulaev, Rashidov and Bekbulatov (finally). Gadji can win, but not a lock in. The others can go more or less in any direction. 

Russia really misses a wrestler like Gatsalov, who can lead the team. That dude just always came out on top, amazing wrestler. I don't think Sadulaev is at that level. Gatsalov really handled Snyder easily at the Medved, at 33y old, same year Snyder became Olympic champ. Gatsalov imo a step up from both Sad/Snyder. Gadisov had a relatively brief stunt at the international level, then retired (talented, but never too disciplined). It would be interesting if Sad can fulfill the shoes left by Gatsalov. Damn Gatsalov went up to HW and got gold (!).  Crazy. What a wrestler.

Russia's heavies are also pathetic right now...they haven't had a good one in years...Makhov is just injured all the time and hardly training.

Edited by wfan24

NJWC,

Gosh this Sadulaev...despite all this specially dosed vitamin S...still can't put on 3 pounds to save his life...but JB/Snyder, those technical Gods with bodies like Saitiev who never get tired at the end of matches...hmm...who would EVER think they'd touch the secret sauce, eh? :)

NJWC,

Gosh this Sadulaev...despite all this specially dosed vitamin S...still can't put on 3 pounds to save his life...but JB/Snyder, those technical Gods with bodies like Saitiev who never get tired at the end of matches...hmm...who would EVER think they'd touch the secret sauce, eh? :)

Do you really want to compare the history of Russian doping which th that of US athletes? It’s state sponsored in Russia, has been since steroids have been around.

Here's how I see it: 

57kg - Uguev -- Russia is surprisingly weak at 57kg at the moment.  Uguev is solid but very beatable, and there doesn't seem to be an heir apparent sitting in wait to replace him.  His ceiling is Bronze IMO.  

61kg - Rashidov -- It's his weight to lose.  

65kg - Bekbulatov -- Maybe the most accomplished wrestler alive without a world medal?  Whoever the rep is here should medal--nationals should be interesting.  Watch out for Chakaev.  

70kg - Ramanov or Kurbanaliev -- Either would be the favorite. 

74kg - Tsabalov -- I have a hunch Tsabalov loses at nationals... he hasn't been far ahead of the pack domestically at 74kg and he looked off at Euro's.  Usmanov is interesting... maybe Sidakov or Zaseev down at 74kg can make a leap. 

79kg - Gadzhimagomedov -- Clear favorite... hasn't lost a single match at 79kg to my knowledge.  R. Valiev could push him but I don't see an upset at nationals. 

86kg - Naifonov -- Seems clear the Federation believes Naifonov is the guy.  Wouldn't be shocked to see V. Valiev again.  Either probably ends up with Bronze. 

92kg -  Urishev / Sadulaev -- I know what the reports are and what Sadulaev said.  Still doesn't make sense to me.  Urishev isn't a lock for the spot if Sadulaev is at 97kg.  Look out for the kid Tsakulov.  

97kg - Baitcaev / Sadulaev -- Both would be favored to make the finals, depending on brackets.  Baitcaev pushed Sadulaev to the limit last year, and closed the gap massively on Snyder between their last two meetings.  This is not a foregone conclusion as Sadulaev's weight... Baitcaev will also have to fight the crowd and officials, though.  

125kg - Makhov -- Bronze medal, we just need Gwiz to avoid him.  

excellent takes. will be interesting to see how Russia handles 86-97. I think Naifonov, Sadulaev, Baitcaev is their strongest team but I still think Sadulaev goes back up to 97. 

I also doubt we see Makhov. Maybe for 2019 because of Tokyo qualifications. 

anyway, the main point is Russia remains absurdly stacked and upsetting them in Budapest (and it will be an upset if it happens) will be a very difficult task for Team USA. 

excellent takes. will be interesting to see how Russia handles 86-97. I think Naifonov, Sadulaev, Baitcaev is their strongest team but I still think Sadulaev goes back up to 97. 

I also doubt we see Makhov. Maybe for 2019 because of Tokyo qualifications. 

anyway, the main point is Russia remains absurdly stacked and upsetting them in Budapest (and it will be an upset if it happens) will be a very difficult task for Team USA. 

Any news on Makhov? I've googled a bit but haven't seen anything regarding 2018 worlds. 

So I read today that Makhov will 100% not be at the worlds. He has undergone a very heavy spinal surgery, was not able to move for a while, and its not even clear he continues wrestling. Only in September he may know whether he can train again. That may be it for him, he has had too many injuries.

So I read today that Makhov will 100% not be at the worlds. He has undergone a very heavy spinal surgery, was not able to move for a while, and its not even clear he continues wrestling. Only in September he may know whether he can train again. That may be it for him, he has had too many injuries.

Interesting, too bad for the big man, I thought he was just dinged up.  Didn't realize it was that serious.  On the flip side, this could be good for the US.  Kushkhov is probably their next best, and he's certainly no guarantee to be the rep.  Regardless of who it is, there's a good chance they come away without a medal at heavy. 

With that in mind, it's very possible that Russia doesn't medal at: 57kg, 74kg, 92kg (assuming Sadulaev is at 97kg), and 125kg.  I realize that means potentially banking on Uguev, Tsabalov, Urishev, and Kushkhov to all miss the podium, which is unlikely, but if Russia comes away with 7 medals, we can match that without needing a perfect tournament.