Sign in to follow this  
rocklobsta

Why no love for Nahshon

Been a big fan of Nahshon since his early college days.  Seems like a good kid, has overcome more than most of us will ever know.  Beats Colon with a statement in match three when it seemed like Colon had his number.  Looks like he's starting to put together a par terre game.  Terrific athlete who seems to still be getting better.  Don't understand why so many of these boards give him no shot at a medal.

Been a big fan of Nahshon since his early college days. Seems like a good kid, has overcome more than most of us will ever know. Beats Colon with a statement in match three when it seemed like Colon had his number. Looks like he's starting to put together a par terre game. Terrific athlete who seems to still be getting better. Don't understand why so many of these boards give him no shot at a medal.

Big congrats on beating the always scrappy Colon and making his first world team but.... It's a tough weight and he tends to get in shootouts which is a recipe for getting destroyed in this level of tournament, fun to watch, but with such little defense he just isnt likely to advance very far, could he medal... I mean if he gets hot, and has a great draw, sure...but the the consensus is we simply don't have a "world level" wrestler at this weight, so him beating a field of other non-medal contenders, hasn't really changed his chances in a lot of people's minds....

Hopefully everyone's wrong and he techs his way through but personally I'd be impressed with 2 wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

He's definitely got a shot bc he can score on anyone. But guys that struggle to defend have a really hard time running off 5 wins in a row at the top level. Big fan of him and his story but most of us on this intl board are guys in our 30s, 40s, 50s that have seen lots of guys with slick offense but limited defense and sometimes questionable gas tank struggle at their first worlds. But I hope I'm stupid and wrong!

Not sure why you think he has such a low ceiling.  He's fairly new to FS and has made tremendous strides in the past year alone.  Give him a little experience and I think he'll be able to go with anyone.  Not only that, but he's quickly becoming must see given the number of points that are scored in his matches. We need more wrestlers with this mentality.

What is his story?

Absentee father died of pancreatic cancer when he was in middle school. 

Mother with drug, alcohol, and gambling problem. Lost their house when he was young. She did some time in prison. 

Alcoholic and drug addict brother who he brought out to NY to help get him away from the life but it only made it worse and he had to kick him out when the cops showed up at their apt. 

This is on top of academic and financial struggles he had while at Cornell. 

Not sure why you think he has such a low ceiling.  He's fairly new to FS and has made tremendous strides in the past year alone.  Give him a little experience and I think he'll be able to go with anyone.  Not only that, but he's quickly becoming must see given the number of points that are scored in his matches. We need more wrestlers with this mentality.

I think the biggest is reason is that 61kg is likely going to be an extremely tough weight.  It was certainly not very kind to Stieber last year.  

Mother with drug, alcohol, and gambling problem. Lost their house when he was young. She did some time in prison. 

Alcoholic and drug addict brother who he brought out to NY to help get him away from the life but it only made it worse and he had to kick him out when the cops showed up at their apt. 

I've heard he also did a little wrestling on top of that.

Gotta give Nashon huge props for carving out a good life given those circumstances. 

With the stacked US team and his little international experience/success he kinda becomes an after thought. He has made some good strides recently, his floor is probably the lowest on the team and his ceiling isn’t anywhere near the studs on the team ie.. Burroughs and Snyder.

Actually, they all have pretty much the same ceiling.  It's the Gold Medal.  There is no one on the team that has no chance of winning 5 matches and going home with the Gold.

Gotta give Nashon huge props for carving out a good life given those circumstances.

Something we can agree on. Knew some of the story but not all of those details. MAJOR props. That’s a familiar story to many kids who end up on the streets, or worse.

I think the biggest is reason is that 61kg is likely going to be an extremely tough weight.  It was certainly not very kind to Stieber last year.  

Different wrestlers and different year. I mean, I'm a Stieber fan, but Logan's losses are certainly not transitive in measuring Nashon's potential. 

I agree completely. With his athleticism and past accomplishments I see no limit to his ceiling. His floor has been the confounding part - unraveling with some great leads and losing some head scratchers...who can forget that loss to Ramos in the OTT 2016? 

I've heard he also did a little wrestling on top of that.

Excellent reply! He was a 4x All American and undefeated champ at 133 in 2016, pinning Brewer in the semis before taking out runner-up Cory Clark. 

I was stoked on Nashon in 2016, and I've been anticipating his success. I see why we have doubts about our light weights vs the World, but Garrett's potential is very high. It seems to me that his training and coaching has worked in his favor for the last couple years too. His reaction time and re-attacks are awesome to watch. He's getting some turns going too. I think the international experience will be a good one for him...and our best talents often enjoy international success in their first World appearance. 

Well on the plus side is that Nahshon has speed, and with speed, that can create opportunities for Nahshon and big problems for his opponents. But I do think Nahshon's defense is still very susceptible. My hope is that with roughly four months until the World's, that the coaches can work on things that can help solidify his defense. I am also hopeful that he can gain a lot of experience at any international tourneys that Team USA may be planning to attend this summer.

Big congrats on beating the always scrappy Colon and making his first world team but.... It's a tough weight and he tends to get in shootouts which is a recipe for getting destroyed in this level of tournament, fun to watch, but with such little defense he just isnt likely to advance very far, could he medal... I mean if he gets hot, and has a great draw, sure...but the the consensus is we simply don't have a "world level" wrestler at this weight, so him beating a field of other non-medal contenders, hasn't really changed his chances in a lot of people's minds....

Hopefully everyone's wrong and he techs his way through but personally I'd be impressed with 2 wins.

Spladle,

I don't disagree with you.  I will say, I was very shocked and impressed with the series of guts he hit on Colon.  That was a dynamic I did not expect from Garrett, and really what took Colon out of the match.  The difference I felt between match 1 & 2, and his third match was confidence.  It seems like after he won match 2 he had this level of confidence and belief in himself that I hadn't seen before.  He about blew it in match 2 but if he can learn to strategize a little better and not implode with a lead he could do it.  I do think he will get overlooked and that his insane speed gives him a sleepers chance. That ankle pick and his last re-attack with the double was sick.  I don't think people will be ready for that speed.  It is like hitting balls off a pitcher with a consistent 99 mph fast ball, and then a pitcher steps up and throws a few pitches right after at 102mph.  That small difference in speed takes a few pitches to adjust to.  If he can blast a shot an follow with 1 or 2 of those guts, he could create enough separation to hold opponents off.  If he doesn't give up passivity from avoiding contact or take a crazy shot that costs him. 

I think a lot of us saw massive potential in Nahshon, especially given the seemingly immediate transferability of his skillset to freestyle... it's just that his results the last couple of years were a bit lackluster.  Making the team is a massive step. 

Watch Final X match 3 and you'll think he can be a world champ tomorrow.  Watch matches 1 and 2 and you probably think he doesn't win a match at World's.  Really hope he can put it together, but the tactical side of his game right now is miles behind the international level. 

Spladle,

It seems like after he won match 2 he had this level of confidence and belief in himself that I hadn't seen before. He about blew it in match 2 but if he can learn to strategize a little better and not implode with a lead ....

If he had multiple matches against each guy, he would surely win one convincingly, but like you said, him wrestling so solid in the 3rd match against Colon (somebody you also wouldn't expect to medal) was something you hadn't seen before.

We are all in agreement on any given day, a Nashon who is getting-to/finishing his attacks, is a threat against anyone, but as you hinted, that's not the "norm"....

So when we make these predictions we factor in the overall Freestyle career... I think a close comparison would be Reece Humphrey a few years back, athletic as can be, they did a whole marketing campaign deal with the Flo-Machine, but at the end of the day, just not enough defense for the world stage, he lacked the world level results but people got caught up in that high flying style.

I can't remember the last wide-open guy we had to win a world medal, the whole "give up 2 to get 3 approach" ...

Logie was kind of that way, and before him maybe Herbert ?

My point is that out of everyone on the team he has the best chance to lose his first match and be done. That is what I meant by lowest floor.

It sounds like he needs to tune his in-match/situational strategies, which isn't surprising since he hasn't exactly had much senior level (any?) experience internationally. That will come with wisdom and coaching. Where is he training these days?