Sign in to follow this  
fanta

PA needs an Olympic Gold Medalist

There are high-level, naitonally broadcasted folkstyle competitions today that were non-existent 10 years ago. FloNationals, Super 32, etc.

Fargo is still important, but it's fallen off, without a doubt.

Yeah, definitely agree with you. For PA guys, they'll gladly go to those than go out of their comfort zone and do international styles.

The only argument in favor of Fargo vs those others is that there is nearly 100% D1 coaching presence there. The others will have strong attendance, but if you are really trying to catch some attention, Fargo is the place to be.

Their offense was still in neutral when they left NJ. Manning and snyder are responsible for putting it in high gear.

Jordan won a national title as a senior in Hs with barely any mat wrestling.

James was never a great mat wrestler.

Get a clue.

Yeah, definitely agree with you. For PA guys, they'll gladly go to those than go out of their comfort zone and do international styles.

The only argument in favor of Fargo vs those others is that there is nearly 100% D1 coaching presence there. The others will have strong attendance, but if you are really trying to catch some attention, Fargo is the place to be.

The same college coach I was talking to was holding a PIAA State Championships program and he said, "every year, there is a national championship team in this program, you just have to pick the right 10 kids".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I believe Spencer Lee will one day win the Olympic Gold medal.

Yeah, it's not like PA has been non existent. There was Herbert and Gavin and the current crop coming into the senior level soon is very good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Our last Olympic Medalist was Coleman Scott (Bronze).  I think Lee can be our next (Gold).  We have to start from the ground up. Our folkstyle is phenomenal but our international styles are horrible.  We don't have any native PA reps on the team this year.  With so much talent that shouldn't be the case.  What can help us get more of our guys on the U.S. teams?

gotta be an explanation...

Edited by hammerlockthree

The dearth of olympic champs is likely because they are really local minded.

They get pumped up too much by a bunch of losers who take some sort of pathetic vicarious satisfaction in Pennsylvania's high school prowess and never see the big picture. No wonder the last medalist was Scott. He left, got a severe okie accent and never looked back.

Edited by hammerlockthree

in PA it's all about being a state champ in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grade, etc. Maniacal parents pushing their kids in every local folk tournament and having him lift weights at the age of 8. That's PA wrestling, it's where i'm from and i see it often. Winning at all costs in elementary school has led PA to lead the world in burning out wrestlers by the time they reach college. Very few even wrestle past high school or crash and burn in college.

the list is long. Could Spencer change all of that? not sure, but he is special.

and what has already been said, kids continue wrestling folk into the summer, attend folk camps, wrestle folk tournaments as their crazy dads don't know FS or Greco.

Very few even wrestle past high school or crash and burn in college.

Huh? Pa leads every year in the most NCAA qualifiers. Often nearly 2-1 over the next states. Pa has the most D1 schools with wrestling mostly with in state kids.

a few years ago, i was talking to a guy who was high up in the administrative food chain of USA wrestling in OK... as such he had access to actual numbers of USA cards issued per state... at the time, OK had just over 3000 USA cards issued to kids, parents, coaches... PA had well over 20,000...

so, take that as an example of the sheer number of kids who are wrestling in PA... when someone says very few wrestle past HS or crash, then it is a much more realistic statement no matter how many D1 qualifiers come from the state...

i have personally talked to one of the more infamous cases that came out of PA and he does not even want his son to wrestle at all after what he was put through...

a few years ago, i was talking to a guy who was high up in the administrative food chain of USA wrestling in OK... as such he had access to actual numbers of USA cards issued per state... at the time, OK had just over 3000 USA cards issued to kids, parents, coaches... PA had well over 20,000...

so, take that as an example of the sheer number of kids who are wrestling in PA... when someone says very few wrestle past HS or crash, then it is a much more realistic statement no matter how many D1 qualifiers come from the state...

i have personally talked to one of the more infamous cases that came out of PA and he does not even want his son to wrestle at all after what he was put through...

Total number of cards doesn't break it down by age. Most cards are kids division. My point was that Pa HSs likely generate more college wrestlers than other states. Perhaps there is more of a percentage dropoff from HS than elsewhere but that wasn't the claim. At least not the evident claim.

in PA it's all about being a state champ in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grade, etc. Maniacal parents pushing their kids in every local folk tournament and having him lift weights at the age of 8. That's PA wrestling, it's where i'm from and i see it often. Winning at all costs in elementary school has led PA to lead the world in burning out wrestlers by the time they reach college. Very few even wrestle past high school or crash and burn in college.

the list is long. Could Spencer change all of that? not sure, but he is special.

and what has already been said, kids continue wrestling folk into the summer, attend folk camps, wrestle folk tournaments as their crazy dads don't know FS or Greco.

This is true, I've seen it!!  Cental Dauphin has a couple of "CLOSET FREAK DADS"....

There are a few reasons why PA has not shown up in force in Fargo and the Cadet and Junior duals. Many of the prominant and established clubs in PA do not participate in FS and GR in the summer because the PAWF has alienated them, The PAWF is run as a personal for profit business. 

The coaches basically decide where the kids will wrestle. The coaches either put PAWF FS and GR on the schedule or they choose to wrestle folk. The kids will follow the coaches lead and advice. You can search the forum and see how club teams like Angry Fish lead by Moore and Brinzer had great runs in FS. There are plenty of coaches in PA that are well versed in teaching FS and GR, that's not the issue at all.