Sign in to follow this  
Badger Fan

Should Final X Include Greco Next Year?

If I remember right from and interview not long ago Lindland was not on board with being I included. Can’t remember his reasonings exactly but I don’t think it was just USAW brass.

But....yes I would like to see it for the sake of promotion. Greco is by far my favorite style.

I vote no. Maybe I need to watch more but the bit that I have watched is just too damn boring. The diehards will say I’m not sophisticated enough to appreciate the hand fighting - yup. You are right. I’m not. Oh well.

Show me the highlights — I enjoy them. But don’t make me sit through a whole match in order to see a freestyle match. It will push me away.

Sorry - kind of a downer post but it is an honest opinion.

Edited by nom

I have to wonder if one of the key factors to not being a part of final x is the participation numbers in Greco. In freestyle you may have some pretty full brackets for the trials where a person has 3-4 matches just to get to the best of 3. In Greco, some weights may only be 2-3 matches to get there. For example, Haze had to win 2 matches to get to the best of 3 final.

I think instead of three different days for men's and women's freestyle, they should have one day for men's FS, one for women's FS, and one for Greco. Sure the attendance for women's and Greco would not be good, but I think you could really increase the attendance for men's freestyle by having all the matches at once. I know the Lehigh final X was poorly attended anyway. I bet they get better total attendance this way.

Well I might be in a minority here, but I think we should include Greco in Final X. My reasoning is that as basically the same reason they did it for Men's and Women's Freestyle. Which I believe was to energize the fan base, and to provide the individual wrestlers some media exposure, as well as to highlight the various match ups.

If they do, it might be a good idea to schedule the greco matches on separate days as freestyle. Didn't someone post about an event not long ago where there were multiple mats with FS and GR going on at the same time, and that poster trying to explain what was going on to a new/novice fan?  I dunno, maybe it was a mix of free and folk.

I believe part of the reason he didn’t want in is so they guys who did not make it in FS could come over to Greco and give it a shot at the trials. But I don’t think it really turned out to be a factor so interesting to see what next year will bring.

Edited by Lurker

I believe part of the reason he didn’t want in is so they guys who did not make it in FS could come over to Greco and give it a shot at the trials. But I don’t think it really turned out to be a factor so interesting to see what next year will bring.

Lindland may still be juggling with what structure will yield the team best suited to compete at Worlds, and could tweet it again before the OTT. I had heard something similar about wanting some FS guys to give Greco a go, but I honestly doing think too many would make the jump right after losing the FS Trials. I’m assuming it may take a few years of Lindland putting a bug in their ear plus them realizing they aren’t moving past the quarter/semis of the FS bracket before someone would transfer over. There is enough of a skill gap train for and it’s really difficult to train both styles at that level at the same time. Sure a HWT did it but let’s be honest many HWT FS matches are close to Greco matches to start with. Hopefully Linland can find a few hidden GR guys lurking in FS and convince them to give GR a try. I’m sure a couple guys would transfer well enough to make the team with a little time working with the GR coaches. Not sure they would be World Medalist but it could breath some new life and added competition into our GR team.

One early interview I heard him say he liked to see how they preform in a more tournament setting similar to that of actual Worlds. The larger time gap and then a one match competition of Final X wasn’t as appealing to him.

In the past I know the Greco side has wrestled (pun intended) with weather it was best to promote the Open champion or World Medalist to the WTT finals or just make them the #1 seed at that tournament.

Edited by MadMardigain

In the recent past, they have all been done at the same time.  It seems that in just the last few years they have separated again.  What was it about before, that they decided to go separate again?

That said, I find current Greco boring. But that's just me.

mspart

Edited by mspart

I think it should be men’s freestyle and some combination of the big names in Greco and women’s freestyle. People might think that’s unfair to Greco or the women, but maybe the other matches can be on some type of undercard.

Edited by Billyhoyle

I don't know what the reason was for why they don't, but I do think it would be good to mix it in.  Especially if they stay with three separate final x events.  However, even if they don't and go to two days it could be good.  If they are concerned about letting guys have the opportunity for both, they could do opposite weights.  i.e. the upper weights of freestyle mixed with the lighter weight of greco.  I think those who would consider both will do so regardless, as long they were different competition dates.  Who probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but I am sure Coon would have liked to have had his two tournaments on separate weeks. 

I vote no. Maybe I need to watch more but the bit that I have watched is just too damn boring. The diehards will say I’m not sophisticated enough to appreciate the hand fighting - yup. You are right. I’m not. Oh well.

Show me the highlights — I enjoy them. But don’t make me sit through a whole match in order to see a freestyle match. It will push me away.

Sorry - kind of a downer post but it is an

Sorry - kind of a downer post but it is an honest opinion.

I follow you, but would rather see more coon/Smith type of matches and less green/chambo.

While I understand some may prefer Freestyle over Greco, others like to watch both, and it would allow Greco to have a bigger crowd.

Overall, the challengers did much better in the Greco Finals than the Freestyle Finals. Always fun to go to an event when the outcome is not as predictable.