Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Too Many D1 Programs?

Why not go back to the day's when NAIA, D2 & D3 wrestlers were allowed to compete  in the NCAA D1 National Championships for wrestling?  My guess is that some of the D1 schools don't want to take it on the chin to wrestlers from a lower division.

Why not go back to the day's when NAIA, D2 & D3 wrestlers were allowed to compete in the NCAA D1 National Championships for wrestling? My guess is that some of the D1 schools don't want to take it on the chin to wrestlers from a lower division.

That might be true, but I am guessing that the ESPN contract & revenue allocation probably complicates things also. But at least opening the tournament to D2 & D3 would be fun. That's essentially what mbb does. March Madness is all D1 but the mid-majors might as well be from D2/3 since there is such massive separation between the "blue blood" programs and the non-traditional basketball programs. That's why Cinderella runs are so great, and something fans look forward to every year.

I also noticed that men's gymnastics isn't just for all NCAA divisions but it looks like it is run more like an open tournament with D1-3, clubs and even high schoolers & jr high schoolers allowed to compete? Is that right? Maybe it's partly a gymnastics thing where gymnasts peak at a much younger age. Also I guess it's to be expected when there are only 16 or so NCAA teams.

I don't believe that NAIA only schools were ever allowed into the NCAAs. I think they had dual 'citizenship'. I saw a clip that said in 1972 there were 16 schools of this nature.

Also, my memory is that it wasn't the D1 teams that didn't want to compete but some NCAA bean counter that noted that D2/D3 already had more championship options available in wrestling than other sports and that D1 wrestling was over-represented.

you guys are spinning your wheels.

Tofurkey just wants to put emphasis/importance/eyeballs on the lower levels.

he's spewing nonsense, with nonsensical points, and not listening to valid rebuttals. 

I'll save you all the time: D1 >  all the other levels. In prestige, money, visibility, etc.

if you think cutting D1 to 40 programs is gonna make the masses become fans of Nebraska Kearney or Wilkes, you're outta your marbles. all it would do is make 40 fan bases out of 76.  less D1 programs would kill wrestling.

your whole premise is based on a hand full of teams winning titles. no mention of the fact that wyoming and sdsu had finalists. you know, there are other measures of success.

that Sacred Heart and VMI (or name your team) have no shot to win a team title has little to no effect on the health of the sport. what does have an effect is less programs at the highest level of collegiate wrestling. and precisely the reason why they (less successful programs) are less successful is either 1) the program is hamstrung by the admins in the form of scholly limits and/or admission requirements or 2) apathy in the form of not holding incumbent coaches accountable for success or giving them the tools to do so.

you want parity? i'll give you parity - Top 4 from each conference go to the dance. no wild cards, no rpi's.

it's one of the dumbest ideas and threads in the history of wrestling discourse. 

Edited by Husker_Du

what are you talking... all time...

more than 3 teams have won championships in football all time.

2016                                                 CLemson

2015 Alabama CFP 2014 Ohio State CFP 2013 Florida State

BCS

so all time... no.

not even more in the last nine years

You are not paying attention.

There has never, ever been an NCAA D1 champion on Football. Division 1A - yes, with North Dakota State University the current Champion.

Alabama is not the NCAA Champion because there is not and never has been an NCAA championship. It is polls, BCS and the like. That is why we have so much divisiveness in the top tier football programs. Every other NCAA sport has an actual championship. Football has AP/UPI/Coaches/BCS/Whatever. NO NCAA title.

Not even half; there are href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men" s_gymnastics_championships"="">16 men's gymnastics programs in the NCAA altogether.

Here's a source for the 50 figure; the text is:

I don't want to overstate what I know, here.  Men's Gymnastics does have a championship, and it appears to be for all divisions (15 of the 16 are DI). I've gathered, in conversation, that falling below 50 would be a Very Bad Thingtm for us, but I wasn't particularly thorough about finding out what would happen.

50 for the men, 40 for the women.

Where are all the women protesting this as discrimination? Being held to a lower standard than the men?

As for Men's Gymnastics championships - maybe they are grandfathered in from the days when there were many more teams?

You are not paying attention.

There has never, ever been an NCAA D1 champion on Football. Division 1A - yes, with North Dakota State University the current Champion.

Alabama is not the NCAA Champion because there is not and never has been an NCAA championship. It is polls, BCS and the like. That is why we have so much divisiveness in the top tier football programs. Every other NCAA sport has an actual championship. Football has AP/UPI/Coaches/BCS/Whatever. NO NCAA title.

so yeah, you are full of ****

you know there is champion.

so anyway, you must be saying we should get rid of the NCAA tourney and let the sportswriters determine the champion?