Sign in to follow this  
Missourimatman

Bacone Drops Wrestling

Bacon(e)! You'll fry for this.*

* Original credit to Shakespeare on the Mr Peabody and The WayBack Machine cartoon. If you remember this you are older than dirt .... way older. One of the top 10 so-bad-its good kid cartoon jokes of ancient times.

http://www.sirbacon.org/links/hollywood.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

Bacon(e)! You'll fry for this.*

* Original credit to Shakespeare on the Mr Peabody and The WayBack Machine cartoon. If you remember this you are older than dirt .... way older. One of the top 10 so-bad-its good kid cartoon jokes of ancient times.

http://www.sirbacon.org/links/hollywood.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. What a rotten joke.

You must be a real HAM

NAIA right? I'm just waiting for this to happen to many more colleges. Many of these schools added a bunch of sports to try and draw kids to their school. Give them a 3,000 dollar scholly and then expect the kids to pay the rest of the $35000 a year. But hey, you get this great chance to be a college athlete, and pay out the @$$ to do it. Seeing the schools in the Midwest with sports like men's vball, cheer, and lacrosse, when virtually none of the local high schools play those sports was confusing to me. Until i realize that's how you recruit the coasts.

No way this was going to work for every school or forever as that tuition cost just keeps climbing and climbing.

NAIA right? I'm just waiting for this to happen to many more colleges. Many of these schools added a bunch of sports to try and draw kids to their school. Give them a 3,000 dollar scholly and then expect the kids to pay the rest of the $35000 a year. But hey, you get this great chance to be a college athlete, and pay out the @$$ to do it. Seeing the schools in the Midwest with sports like men's vball, cheer, and lacrosse, when virtually none of the local high schools play those sports was confusing to me. Until i realize that's how you recruit the coasts.

No way this was going to work for every school or forever as that tuition cost just keeps climbing and climbing.

100% correct. The D3 & NAIA schools added wrestling to generate revenue and also to add males to the student body. If these goals aren’t met, wrestling will be dropped real fast. The next economic bust will be tuition funded colleges. Once the federal government clamps down on student loans, many small liberal arts schools will close their doors.

Edited by gowrestle

100% correct. The D3 & NAIA schools added wrestling to generate revenue and also to add males to the student body. If these goals aren’t met, wrestling will be dropped real fast. The next economic bust will be tuition funded colleges. Once the federal government clamps down on student loans, many small liberal arts schools will close their doors.

I don’t think the federal government is going to clamp down on student loans unless they couple it to increased/free enrollment at public universities. It would cause chaos among students/families if they stop that program. I agree though that many of these NAIA/small d3 programs are not a long term solution and will close their doors if they fail to drive enrollment. As you point out, recession could trigger that and I agree with it.

Apparently this school is on the verge of closing and only has 5 full time employees. I don’t think this has much to do with wrestling.

I don't know about that, but the from the article it's apparent the President of the school is struggling to keep it open.

I don't know about that, but the from the article it's apparent the President of the school is struggling to keep it open.

There were 44 kids on the 2017-2018 roster. That’s quite a few people paying tuition. If they paid of course, apparently that was an overall problem the school had.

I don’t think the federal government is going to clamp down on student loans unless they couple it to increased/free enrollment at public universities. It would cause chaos among students/families if they stop that program. I agree though that many of these NAIA/small d3 programs are not a long term solution and will close their doors if they fail to drive enrollment. As you point out, recession could trigger that and I agree with it.

State schools like Lock Haven and Endinboro have empty seats. If a kid wants to attend a school like Gettysburg with its bucolic campus and “touchy-feely” atmosphere that’s okay with me. However using federally funded student loans while state schools have openings at half the cost, then that student should foot the $50,000 plus bill, not hard working Americans. Sooner or later someone will be leading this country that has what it takes to eliminate deficit spending. When that happens, student loans will be one of the first programs to be eliminated.

State schools like Lock Haven and Endinboro have empty seats. If a kid wants to attend a school like Gettysburg with its bucolic campus and “touchy-feely” atmosphere that’s okay with me. However using federally funded student loans while state schools have openings at half the cost, then that student should foot the $50,000 plus bill, not hard working Americans. Sooner or later someone will be leading this country that has what it takes to eliminate deficit spending. When that happens, student loans will be one of the first programs to be eliminated.

Do you understand what a loan is?  By definition students are footing the bill because they are paying them back (the difference between a loan and a grant).  The government currently makes money from student loans, so it is a profitable enterprise.  And student loans are not like housing loans where you default, give up the house to the bank, and wash your hands with the whole thing. It's virtually impossible to default from student debt. All the program does is help lock in a lower interest rate/increase the number of people that can qualify for the loan. 

In addition, I'm not sure where you get this nonsensical idea that students are stealing from "hard working Americans". Unemployment is lowest among college graduates, so therefore the hardest working Americans are those taking the loans to attend college. Welfare is highest among those who haven't gone to college. I guarantee you that college graduates pay a disproportionate amount of the taxes in this country, so it seems like loans for people to attend college aren't the worst use of taxpayer money.  

The example you used for schools only further proves my point.  Gettysburg college is much more prestigious than Lock Haven and Edinboro.  If somebody wants to take out a loan to attend that college, I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure that the default rate among Gettysburg college graduates who receive student loans is very low-so the government is making money from them.  Most default comes from pretty terrible schools-and I agree with you that these types of "for profit colleges" should be highly scrutinized.  Bacone may be one of these places.  The solution though is to go after the individual schools, not to dismantle the entire program. 

If you have a problem with deficit spending-then I recommend you go complain about medicare, social security, welfare, medicaid, tax cuts, and the military.  Everything else is just peanuts compared to those factors.  Student loans are definitely not an issue. 

Do you understand what a loan is? By definition students are footing the bill because they are paying them back (the difference between a loan and a grant). The government currently makes money from student loans, so it is a profitable enterprise. And student loans are not like housing loans where you default, give up the house to the bank, and wash your hands with the whole thing. It's virtually impossible to default from student debt. All the program does is help lock in a lower interest rate/increase the number of people that can qualify for the loan.

In addition, I'm not sure where you get this nonsensical idea that students are stealing from "hard working Americans". Unemployment is lowest among college graduates, so therefore the hardest working Americans are those taking the loans to attend college. Welfare is highest among those who haven't gone to college. I guarantee you that college graduates pay a disproportionate amount of the taxes in this country, so it seems like loans for people to attend college aren't the worst use of taxpayer money.

The example you used for schools only further proves my point. Gettysburg college is much more prestigious than Lock Haven and Edinboro. If somebody wants to take out a loan to attend that college, I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure that the default rate among Gettysburg college graduates who receive student loans is very low-so the government is making money from them. Most default comes from pretty terrible schools-and I agree with you that these types of "for profit colleges" should be highly scrutinized. Bacone may be one of these places. The solution though is to go after the individual schools, not to dismantle the entire program.

If you have a problem with deficit spending-then I recommend you go complain about medicare, social security, welfare, medicaid, tax cuts, and the military. Everything else is just peanuts compared to those factors. Student loans are definitely not an issue.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Federal-Student-Loan-Program/242426

Certainly there are other more pressing issues leading to the national debt. The default rate on student loans is increasing and currently the government is not making a profit on the student loan program. There is an economic professor out of Emory University who is predicting that the next “bust” will be the failure of privately supported colleges. It’s no secret that the federal loan program has put people in debt and many of those people regret making the decision that put them there. It’s clearly gross negligence for the federal government to support someone attending a private school when a public university can provide the same (and sometimes better) education at a fraction of the cost.

I agree that the other programs you mentioned need the axe but so far no one has the gumption to do the right thing.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Federal-Student-Loan-Program/242426

Certainly there are other more pressing issues leading to the national debt. The default rate on student loans is increasing and currently the government is not making a profit on the student loan program. There is an economic professor out of Emory University who is predicting that the next “bust” will be the failure of privately supported colleges. It’s no secret that the federal loan program has put people in debt and many of those people regret making the decision that put them there. It’s clearly gross negligence for the federal government to support someone attending a private school when a public university can provide the same (and sometimes better) education at a fraction of the cost.

I agree that the other programs you mentioned need the axe but so far no one has the gumption to do the right thing.

You said confidently in this thread that the next economic bust will be from tuition funded colleges.  All your link says is that the loan program is at risk to start losing money. Even if the loan program did lose money, which it currently doesn't, that wouldn't cause an economic bust.  It would just mean that University tuition is partially subsidized by the government (instead of interest/risk being subsidized like it currently is). So you could add it to the very long list of things the government subsidizes. If you have an issue with that, address the programs that are causing the problem (predatory colleges) instead of blowing up the entire system. 

And like I said, there are many things much higher in likelihood to cause an economic bust. 

You said confidently in this thread that the next economic bust will be from tuition funded colleges. All your link says is that the loan program is at risk to start losing money. Even if the loan program did lose money, which it currently doesn't, that wouldn't cause an economic bust. It would just mean that University tuition is partially subsidized by the government (instead of interest/risk being subsidized like it currently is). So you could add it to the very long list of things the government subsidizes. If you have an issue with that, address the programs that are causing the problem (predatory colleges) instead of blowing up the entire system.

And like I said, there are many things much higher in likelihood to cause an economic bust.

You don’t know what you are talking about regarding the economics of student loans. The potential bust will involve mostly small colleges that prey on uncertain young folks that borrow money that they can’t afford. The bust I refer to will result in many of these schools closing their doors. If the student loan program is reduced, the only private colleges that will withstand the hit will be those that have large endowments. You are seriously misguided if you think the federal government makes a profit on anything it does! You are right about factors that may spell economic doom for the larger picture.