Sign in to follow this  
rjs

BSU President who Dropped Wrestling Retires (early)

My disappointment with and disdain for Kustra is unrivaled...his parting "gift" to Idaho being the dismantling of the most successful sports program in school history solely to squeeze in his "pet project" (his actual words) before dancing off into the sunset.  Very close behind that though is my frustration with The Idaho Statesman, KTVB, and most of Idaho's other media sources for their failure to shine an unbiased light on the realities of his tenure (Kustra has been portrayed as nothing short of a super-hero by our largest media sources), and the State Board of Education's blind and borderline illegal allegiance to him, despite his blatant violation of their own ethics requirements.

Happy to see him leave...two years earlier than he originally announced...unfortunately there is now a TON of mess to undo in his wake!

Edited by rjs

so sad a man with Kustra's stature and cloud in the community didn't want to do things the right way. instead, he tarnished his legacy forever with his shameful behavior. what a pitiful set of circumstances for the people of Boise and the rest of Idaho.

what's even worse is Kustra's supporters buying into his lies and deceit and acting like it's an either/or choice between baseball or wrestling. wrestling was operating at a loss of a couple hundred thousand dollars, and perhaps much less depending on how you account for walk-ons and their burden to the school's budget. baseball will cost $10 million just to build a stadium, plus $2 million/year more just to operate, not to mention the increase in spending on women's programs to stay title IX compliant. 

meanwhile when the football team needs another ten million for upgrades just to keep up with rest of the Mountain West, let alone the Pac-12 and other power conferences, they are going to wonder why it's being spent on a terrible baseball team that has to start their season while it's still snowing. 

Kustra's folly is a stain on the entire community. 

so sad a man with Kustra's stature and cloud in the community didn't want to do things the right way. instead, he tarnished his legacy forever with his shameful behavior. what a pitiful set of circumstances for the people of Boise and the rest of Idaho.

Kustra had his own cloud?  I dislike the man, but that's impressive.

Once wrestling is gone, really really really hard to get it back.  They allowed a coach to run the program into the ground, hired a new one with promise and submarine him.  Really classy.

mspart

Once wrestling is gone, really really really hard to get it back.  They allowed a coach to run the program into the ground, hired a new one with promise and submarine him.  Really classy.

mspart

Agreed 2 - 3 points - I wasn't a Randall fan, but saying he ran it into the ground is an overstatement. He had some good top 10 teams, a couple national champions, AA etc. The last 2-3 years were not good, but I wouldn't say he ran it into the ground. Chris Owens and Kirk White did a fantastic job as assistants. 

Yep, Kirk White did a fantastic job I'll agree.  I like that guy.  Really gritty.  My brother used to go to the matches until the last few years.  Randall went mental according to him and drove the program into the ground.  I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.  But it would have been a lot more difficult to get rid of the team if they were really good I would think.

mspart

Yep, Kirk White did a fantastic job I'll agree. I like that guy. Really gritty. My brother used to go to the matches until the last few years. Randall went mental according to him and drove the program into the ground. I guess we'll have to disagree on that one. But it would have been a lot more difficult to get rid of the team if they were really good I would think.

mspart

Ehh success rarely matters when making those decisions

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/5781496/nebraska-omaha-wrestlers-win-national-title-lose-program/amp