Sign in to follow this  
ccrider55

Zalesky wins national title.

Can you imagine being 6-7 years old and having to experience that miserable **** of a fanbase during Zalesky's late tenure as head coach of Iowa?

Not a shock he didn't wrestle.

Yeah I’m sure a 6 year old was real tuned in to Hawkeye Report in 2004.

pretty sure anybody would be in tune to the invective being leveled at his father

How? Does he read his dads emails? The message boards? 

It's not like people were stopping Z on the streets and telling him he was doing a sh*tty job. Z had plenty of supporters at the time and a 6 year old is focused elsewhere. 

One of the players on this OSU team (Grant Gambrell) had a brother that wrestled for Clovis HS on one of their State Championship teams. Madison Gambrell was a CA state placer (8th in 2009 at 103s) and second at Senior Nationals.

That's kinda weird. 8th in state (didn't know they went down that low!), and runnerup at Sr Nationals! Wonder what got into his Wheaties?

Maybe Zalesky and the other wrestlers whose kids played bball or swam wouldn't allow them to wrestle?  Wrestling is certainly more dangerous than a girly sport like bball, don't have to worry about your kid getting a broken neck like Ray Murphy, or other wrestling maladies (cauliflower ear, bent spines, etc). I loved playing football and was good at it, but I'd never allow a son of mine to play football (for his own good, unfortunately), even if he was a huge strong kid that would make a perfect offensive lineman. CTE, man. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have just stuck to wrestling/track.

Edited by TobusRex

I think wrestling is much harder to follow in the footsteps of a father who achieved the highest level of success in the sport when compared to other sports.

I don't think either Sanderson's wrestle or at least aren't serious about it, you do see Cunningham's sons competing at events.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe Zalesky and the other wrestlers whose kids played bball or swam wouldn't allow them to wrestle?  Wrestling is certainly more dangerous than a girly sport like bball, don't have to worry about your kid getting a broken neck like Ray Murphy, or other wrestling maladies (cauliflower ear, bent spines, etc). I loved playing football and was good at it, but I'd never allow a son of mine to play football (for his own good, unfortunately), even if he was a huge strong kid that would make a perfect offensive lineman. CTE, man. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have just stuck to wrestling/track.

Some baseball players are killed most every year. Fans as well.

Baseball is much more dangerous than wrestling. Any pitch can result in a foul ball that fractures a skull. A pitch that fractures an eye socket or results in a broken arm.

Wrestling is a combat sport and Baseball is not. Yet each year people die on and close to the diamond from that little white "girly ball".  Wrestling damage is limited to the two on the mat, maybe a referee. Baseball is anyone on or close to the field. From the actual game to infield warmups the ball is in play and dangerous.

As for Coach Jim Zalesky and his son. Congratulations to them both. Jim is a good coach and a gentleman. I hope his son is as well.

Edited by WillieBoy

I really dont buy all this CTE stuff for us regular people.

We will see how i react in another 10 years.

I probably had 5-10 concussions and a handful more 'bad' hits that i wasn't fazed by in college playing.

none of us, take hits for as long as these NFL guys did back in the day, not even 'most' college players.

but I agree there is something there, but I dont believe for your average high school football player.

all you have to do is look at the military suicide rate. the bombs going off next to their vehicles have to be like getting hit by a LB 50 times and your head slammed to the turf each time. maybe worse.

How? Does he read his dads emails? The message boards? 

It's not like people were stopping Z on the streets and telling him he was doing a sh*tty job. Z had plenty of supporters at the time and a 6 year old is focused elsewhere. 

never heard of a radio show?

how about kids talking at school. they always say what their dad says at home.

or their buddies dad says... they can't wait to hear and share that crap.

just ask the pelinis in lincoln.