Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Grand Prix of Spain and Dogu

Well I saw SnyderMan say on a video that he was going to a tournament in Turkey at the end of July, so I have to assume he was talking about Dogu. I also believe that our Senior team is currently in training camp, and since this is a ranking series tournament, I have to believe that they will be all going. Hopefully an announcement will be forthcoming shortly.

Yes, I have heard rumblings about taking the entire World Championship qualifying team but its strange that there has been no official announcement or references to the trip on twitter accounts.  The fact that it is a ranking series and far enough out from the W.C. in October make it extra important.

Why not announce well ahead of time the travel plans? Some who would go in support could then get early flight discounts, motels and whatever lined up.

Most other sports groups announce where their athletes will be competing and when. Why not Wrestling?

Finally some news.  Looks like the whole team is going.  Good warm up for Worlds and also a chance to gain points for possible seeding there:

USA Men’s Freestyle World Team to compete at Yasar Dogu in Turkey, July 27-29
email.png

BY KORAL SUGIYAMA, USA WRESTLING | JULY 23, 2018, 3:44 P.M. (ET)

JamesGreenWorldSF400x250.jpg?h=250&w=400ISTANBUL, TURKEY â€“ The U.S. Men’s Freestyle World Team will compete this weekend at the respected Yasar Dogo International in Istanbul, Turkey, July 27-29. This is a tune-up for the World Championship and a UWW for seeding at the 2018 World Championship this upcoming October. 

Leading up to the competition, the team spent a week training at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. 

The tournament splits itself into three days of competition: 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg and 97 kg begin on Friday, July 27 and wrestle through the semifinals. Their competition finishes the next day – Saturday, July 28. The second set of weights begin their competition on Saturday and complete Sunday, July 29 (61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg and 125 kg).

Our 2018 Men’s freestyle World Team fills an impressive resume:

Two Olympic gold medalists lead the team. 2012 Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs at 74 kg and 2016 Olympic champion Kyle Snyder at 97 kg. Burroughs owns four World Championship gold medals, while Snyder also collected two gold medals from the World Championships. 

To continue the list, 2016 Olympic bronze medalist and 2017 World bronze medalist J’den Cox joins the team at 92 kg as well as 2016 World champion Logan Stieber at 65 kg. James Green, a 2017 World silver medalist and 2015 World bronze medalist, holds down 70 kg while 2017 World silver medalist Thomas Gilman competes at 57 kg. Nick Gwiazdowski earned a 2017 World bronze medal and made the 125 kg spot again this year. 

Three freestyle wrestlers made their first Senior World team this past June, but they are no strangers to success on the international stage: Nahshon Garrett at 61 kg, Kyle Dake at 79 kg and David Taylor at 86 kg.

Fans can enjoy Team USA in action at the Yasar Dogu live on Trackwrestling

2018 YASAR DOGU INTERNATIONAL 
at Istanbul, Turkey, July 27-29 (7 hours ahead of ET)

Schedule

Friday, July 27
4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Eliminations through semifinals (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)

Saturday, July 28
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Repechage (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Eliminations through semifinals (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)
5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Bronze and Gold medal matches (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)

Sunday, July 29
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m Repechage (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Bronze and Gold medal matches (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)

U.S. Men’s Freestyle Roster
57 kg/125.5 lbs. - Thomas Gilman, Iowa City, Iowa (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)
61 kg/134 lbs. - Nahshon Garrett, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
65 kg/143 lbs. - Logan Stieber, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
70 kg/154 lbs. - James Green, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. - Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. - Kyle Dake, Ithaca, N.Y. (Titan Mercury WC/New York RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. - David Taylor, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
92 kg/202.5 lbs. - J’den Cox, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)
97 kg/213.75 lbs. - Kyle Snyder, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. - Nick Gwiazdowski, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)

Men’s Freestyle National Coach: Bill Zadick, Colorado Springs, Colo. 
Assistant Men’s Freestyle National Coach: Joe Russell, Colorado Springs, Colo. 
Coach: Zachary Esposito, Stillwater, Okla. 
Coach: Mark Perry, Iowa City, Iowa
Coach: Mark Manning, Lincoln, Neb. 
Coach: Casey Cunningham, State College, Pa. 
Coach: Zeke Jones, Tempe, Ariz. 

Support Staff
Medical: Corey James, Colorado Springs, Colo. 
Referee: Ron Fazio, Wayne, N.J.

Two things.

One, glad the whole team is going. But... what dough head doesn't announce it until 5 days before the competition? JV marble tournaments get more advance notice! Cowpie throwing contests get more notice. Hell - even Hot Dog eating contests get more notice. What moron is in charge?

Two, sure hope David Taylor wins a World Title this year so we can quit joking with the Spanish Grand Prix as we are doing and instead start referring to it as a step along the way to a World Title.

FIVE days notice for an International Tournament, really?

Yes, I've been confused by the really late announcements that clearly are not in the interest of the larger wrestling community (i.e., fans, followers, and fellow wrestlers in the sport).

My speculation is that if there is a pragmatic rationale for the very late announcements it might have to do with (a) solidifying the exact wrestlers who (or team which) will be competing due to injuries, personal matters, coaching decisions, travel plans, money available for trips, etc. and (b) in some instances, perhaps not wanting opponents and their coaches or federations to be able to game plan, prepare, or view tape on the prospective competitors ahead of time.  

Even if (a) and/or (b) above are true (or partially the case), that would only be an explanation as to why these very late announcements are made and not necessarily a justification or valid defense of that approach given the larger issues at stake (the need to grow audiences, the threats to Olympic wrestling, the technical demands of planning video coverage of events, potential fan interest and enthusiasm for big tournaments, etc.). 

My sense is that Track Wresting, Flo, and other companies that stream the events would like to know of these decisions and announcements further ahead of time in order to generate advertising and interest in them (i.e, create a bigger revenue stream) and certainly fans and followers of the support would like to know as well in order to make plans to view the events, travel to them, and discuss them on wrestling forums and other venues.  

USAW is not the only NGB that announces like this. I’ve worked with others and was team manager on a number of trips and in some cases, we’d take a picture once we got to the country, send it back, and they’d do the article. A lot of it does have to do with making sure each athlete makes the trip, and I’m sure in USAW’s case there is some tactic/gamesmanship involved.

Those who are saying things related to this being a detriment to the growth of wrestling, I think that’s a bit “extra”. It’s really not a big deal at all. People can decide to watch an event a month ahead, or the morning of. It really makes no difference when they announce. I guess it would give us longer to talk about it on message boards, so there’s a valid argument...

Well now that we know that they are all going, hopefully our guys face some good competition and are able to produce an outstanding effort with spectacular results. Go Get'em Team USA.

I think they will. It is a ranking event.

I hope so too

Just of note that USAW is down a full time staffer in Communications. Gary and Taylor are coming off Fargo as is the intern. Taylor is also coming off Cadet Worlds straight to Fargo. That office needs the third full timer. Fargo was the priority last week.

Just speaking from experience here ...

Does anyone know the teams that will be there?  Maybe next p.r. guy can begin putting that basic information out there.  Inquiring minds want to know! Not that I'm complaining...

Dogu field looks to be pretty strong this year.  Here's what I've seen so far:

57kg:  Edisherashvili, Rezazadeh, Yatsenko, Gilman, Atli

61kg:  Topal, Garrett

65kg:  Alyev, Stieber

70kg:  Green, Kaya, Uslu, Kviatkovski, Boruta

74kg:  Burroughs, Chamizo, Dadashpoor

79kg:  Dake, Hasanov

86kg:  Taylor, Gostiev, Yasar, Erdin

92kg:  Sharifov, Cox, Karimi, Bolukbasi

97kg:  Snyder, Alborov, Gudarzi, Yildirim, Erdogan

125kg:  Gwiz, Khotsianivski, (no Akgul, no Petriashvili)

Dogu field looks to be pretty strong this year. Here's what I've seen so far:

57kg: Edisherashvili, Rezazadeh, Yatsenko, Gilman, Atli

61kg: Topal, Garrett

65kg: Alyev, Stieber

70kg: Green, Kaya, Uslu, Kviatkovski, Boruta

74kg: Burroughs, Chamizo, Dadashpoor

79kg: Dake, Hasanov

86kg: Taylor, Gostiev, Yasar, Erdin

92kg: Sharifov, Cox, Karimi, Bolukbasi

97kg: Snyder, Alborov, Gudarzi, Yildirim, Erdogan

125kg: Gwiz, Khotsianivski, (no Akgul, no Petriashvili)

Amazing field.

Hoping to see Cox - Sharifov, Burroughs - chamizo, Dake-hasanov and Aliev-steiber. There are a bunch of other good ones too.

Dogu field looks to be pretty strong this year.  Here's what I've seen so far:

57kg:  Edisherashvili, Rezazadeh, Yatsenko, Gilman, Atli

61kg:  Topal, Garrett

65kg:  Alyev, Stieber

70kg:  Green, Kaya, Uslu, Kviatkovski, Boruta

74kg:  Burroughs, Chamizo, Dadashpoor

79kg:  Dake, Hasanov

86kg:  Taylor, Gostiev, Yasar, Erdin

92kg:  Sharifov, Cox, Karimi, Bolukbasi

97kg:  Snyder, Alborov, Gudarzi, Yildirim, Erdogan

125kg:  Gwiz, Khotsianivski, (no Akgul, no Petriashvili)

also no Soner Demirtash at 74 but still a very nice field. should be some monster match ups. 

also no Soner Demirtash at 74 but still a very nice field. should be some monster match ups. 

I'm actually glad Demirtas won't be there (at least, reportedly).  Burroughs/Chamizo was probably my most anticipated match of 2018 so far... I just didn't realize the first go-round was going to be on an ice rink. 

This last beat the streets was a debacle.

Yeah, the event had the potential to be the best BtS event yet with the quality of competition, but ended botched on more than one front.  Don't want to beat a dead horse though, back to the topic at hand:

Yasar Dogu will be available for free on trackwrestling.  Here is the schedule:

7/27/2018 (3:00 a.m. - 05:00 a.m. CT) Qualification: FS 57, 65, 74, 86, 98; WW 50, 55, 59, 65, 72
7/27/2018 (8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. CT) Qualification and Semi-finals: FS 57, 65, 74, 86, 98; WW 50, 55, 59, 65, 72
7/28/2018 (3:00 a.m. - 09:00 a.m. CT) Qualification and Semi-finals: FS 61, 70, 79, 92, 125; WW 53, 57, 62, 68, 76
7/28/2018 (3:00 a.m. - 09:00 a.m. CT) Repechage: FS 57, 65, 74, 86, 98; WW 50, 55, 59, 65, 72
7/28/2018 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. CT) Finals: FS 57, 65, 74, 86, 98; WW 50, 55, 59, 65, 72
7/29/2018 (3:00 a.m. - 04:00 a.m. CT) Repechage: Repechage (61-70-79-92-125 Kg) (53-57-62-68-76 Kg)
7/29/2018 (4:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m. CT) Finals: FS (61-70-79-92-125 Kg), WW (53-57-62-68-76 Kg)

I'm actually glad Demirtas won't be there (at least, reportedly). Burroughs/Chamizo was probably my most anticipated match of 2018 so far... I just didn't realize the first go-round was going to be on an ice rink.

JB will compete in 89 more days so I guess he will not be there. According to his website