Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Grand Prix of Spain and Dogu

SMITH, JOHN

Reinoso beat him the last 2 times they wrestled.  But it was a pool rather than a tournament where one loss would have ended it.  How concerned were we with Reinoso? Also Smith might have gotten beaten by Brands but quit while he was ahead.  Smith is great though. But they had him scouted well.  I don't recall him wrestling more than one really great Russian though. He seemed to get ones that were good, not great.  You are right, but it doesn't refute my point, basically. 

Reinoso beat him the last 2 times they wrestled. But it was a pool rather than a tournament where one loss would have ended it. How concerned were we with Reinoso? Also Smith might have gotten beaten by Brands but quit while he was ahead. Smith is great though. But they had him scouted well. I don't recall him wrestling more than one really great Russian though. He seemed to get ones that were good, not great. You are right, but it doesn't refute my point, basically.

What’s your point...?

He won the event, just like every other world and Olympic tourney he entered.

also had a complete meltdown against Burroughs at the 2017 world cup. hit a nasty cut back for 4 early in the match and then basically stopped wrestling. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ihjLLLcIY

Guys like this are confusing. They are incredible athletes, technical, hard workers, etc but something in their head limits them

This guy could be a world champ, but he won’t be

also had a complete meltdown against Burroughs at the 2017 world cup. hit a nasty cut back for 4 early in the match and then basically stopped wrestling. 

he wasn't wrestling to begin with. he was on one knee/both knees any moment that burroughs was standing.

Looking at draws for tomorrow:

61kg -- Garrett has a decently tough match out of the gate with Mirjalal (AZE), who took 5th at Euros in May.  Couple of other familiar names in his half... Tomar from India wrestled Colon at the world cup (Colon won 6-4).  Kaliev has had some decent results in the past at 57kg.  All told, not out of the question to reach the final.  Bottom half looks tougher.  

70kg -- Green wrestles Turkey 3 first... haven't heard of him, but he sounds tough.  Other guys in his half to watch for:  Kviatkovski (UKR) is tough, Yarygin bronze, Euro 5th, won the Ukrainian.  That will likely be Green's QF.  Mustafaev (AZE) is solid as well, but has historically been down at 65kg.  Could also see Zhumagaziev in the semis.  Green is a huge favorite to make the finals regardless.  

79kg -- Dake wrestles the championship match in his first match, which is pretty lame.  

92kg -- Cox's first match is also tough.  Boeke is fresh off a Bronze at Euros.That said, Cox should be fine.  Sharifov crushed Boeke, and Cox is more or less level with Sharifov IMO.  He should face Bolukbasi next, another solid opponent.  Semi probably against  Ebrahimizivlaei, Asian champ, really tough.  I could see him giving Cox some problems.  (by the way Seth if you read the forum... I think you missed him in your 92kg rankings).  

125kg -- Gwiz starts off against Sumit Sumit (IND), which is an A+ name, but not an A+ opponent.  Gwiz should roll that match then face Saidau (Rio Bronze). Saidau hasn't been quite the same since (shocker). Probably sees Mohebbi for the (3rd?) time in the final, unless Turkey has some other unknown monster stuck behind Akgul at 125kg that shows up.  

Taylor with THREE falls in a decent freestyle tournament. Does anyone get three falls in freestyle tournaments of this caliber? Seems like falls are so rare in freestyle. Taylor even pinned the guy folks are ranking #1 in his weight class.

Love what Taylor is doing. Anyone have insights on how he is getting the falls in this tourney? All different moves or consistent?

FLO's summary of the first day of action:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6233009-kyle-snyder-falls-to-alborov-in-yasar-dogu-semis

"Snyder and Alborov have met quite a few times over the years and this marks the second time he has beaten Snyder. This moves their record to 2-2 against one another with Snyder’s wins coming at last year’s World Championships (9-2) and at the 2016 World Cup (2-1)."

"Still in the hunt for gold is Thomas Gilman (57kg), Jordan Burroughs (74kg) and David Taylor (86kg). The Magic Man has been the most dominant on the day with three straight falls to make the gold medal match. Most notably he pinned last year’s World Championship runner-up Boris Makoev in the quarters before notching another fall in the semis."

Edited by dmm53

Chamizo is joining the NYC Regional Training Center:

NEW YORK, NY – Two-time World champion and 2016 Olympic bronze medalist Frank Chamizo will train with the Columbia Wrestling’s New York City Regional Training Center (NYC RTC), the club announced Friday. An experienced, veteran athlete on the international stage, Chamizo brings an explosive and dynamic style of wrestling to New York.

“When we launched the NYC RTC last April, I had a vision for creating a training environment that is not only the best in the Ivy League, but the best in the United States,” Columbia Head Wrestling Coach Zach Tanelli said. “With the great support of our alumni and donors, we were able to take another step closer to that goal today with the addition of Frank Chamizo.

“Frank is arguably the most exciting wrestler competing in the world right now,” Tanelli noted. “Being in New York City, we have the ability to attract not only the best athletes in the country, but also the best in the world and that is what we are going to continue to do at Columbia. It is an exciting time for our program.”

“I am extremely excited to become a part of the NYC RTC and the Columbia Wrestling family,” Chamizo said. “This is a special place and a special city. I look forward to helping young wrestlers develop while continuing my training in the greatest city in the world.”

“We all know that he can wrestle, and that he is one of the best on the international circuit now,” Regional Training Center coach and 1996 Olympic gold medalist Kendall Cross added, “but the unique intangibles that Frank Chamizo brings to our RTC and to the Columbia program are what will make this training environment so extraordinary.

“He will elevate our training on the technical side,” Cross continued, “but will also bring an important energy into the wrestling room. Frank works extremely hard and does so with charisma and passion for the sport. We are lucky to have him at the NYC RTC.”

Born in Matanzas, Cuba, Chamizo earned the 55kg bronze medal for his home country at the 2010 UWW World Championships in Moscow, Russia when he was just 18 years old. After becoming a naturalized citizen of Italy, he now competes under the Italian flag. Ending the 35-year drought of World and Olympic gold medals, Chamizo captured two World Championships titles for Italy (2015 at 65kg and 2017 at 70 kg). Chamizo is also the 2016 Olympic bronze medalist at 65kg, bringing home the medal from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Columbia’s New York City Regional Training Center is a USA Wrestling-recognized RTC working in the support and cultivation of Columbia University wrestling student-athletes, as well as the ambitions of senior-level Olympic hopefuls.

Well I am pretty bummed that SnyderMan lost to Alborov. But honestly I have been worried about him for a while now. I even posted about this same thing after his Beat the Streets match with the Cuban. I am not sure what the deal is, I am wondering if he's gone away from certain things, or have some guys started to figure him out a little, or worst case scenario is that he's kind of got sidetracked with all his other activities. Anyway. I hope he eveserates whoever he wrestles for the Bronze. I am also bummed that I lost the feed last night so I missed his match. Hopefully someone can post a link, hint hint.

I think Snyder is just fine. Dude has been on one hell of a schedule, the likes of which nobody in this country has ever competed, for the last couple years non stop. Ultimately the goal is Tokyo 2020. My hope is that after Budapest he takes a break. Recovery is just as important in training as the training itself.

Snyder may have had a moment like Sadulaev did, where after Rio he got overwhelmed with many side activities...worse, I think he lost a bit of the fun (being asked every time why you win with small points is no fun...same with Snyder)....

Taylor...God damn....

where can we watch the finals tomorrow!?!

Taylor's final opponent, Suleymanov (AZE), wrestles pretty dirty.   Did so against Mark Hall (singlet pulling, hands to the face, fake handshake with 30 seconds to go) and was disqualified while leading against Borroughs with a minute or so to go in the match.  

Taylor might indeed need some scrap to respond to Suleymanov's slaps and other crap.

Edited by dmm53

Looking at draws for tomorrow:

61kg -- Garrett has a decently tough match out of the gate with Mirjalal (AZE), who took 5th at Euros in May.  Couple of other familiar names in his half... Tomar from India wrestled Colon at the world cup (Colon won 6-4).  Kaliev has had some decent results in the past at 57kg.  All told, not out of the question to reach the final.  Bottom half looks tougher.  

70kg -- Green wrestles Turkey 3 first... haven't heard of him, but he sounds tough.  Other guys in his half to watch for:  Kviatkovski (UKR) is tough, Yarygin bronze, Euro 5th, won the Ukrainian.  That will likely be Green's QF.  Mustafaev (AZE) is solid as well, but has historically been down at 65kg.  Could also see Zhumagaziev in the semis.  Green is a huge favorite to make the finals regardless.  

79kg -- Dake wrestles the championship match in his first match, which is pretty lame.  

92kg -- Cox's first match is also tough.  Boeke is fresh off a Bronze at Euros.That said, Cox should be fine.  Sharifov crushed Boeke, and Cox is more or less level with Sharifov IMO.  He should face Bolukbasi next, another solid opponent.  Semi probably against  Ebrahimizivlaei, Asian champ, really tough.  I could see him giving Cox some problems.  (by the way Seth if you read the forum... I think you missed him in your 92kg rankings).  

125kg -- Gwiz starts off against Sumit Sumit (IND), which is an A+ name, but not an A+ opponent.  Gwiz should roll that match then face Saidau (Rio Bronze). Saidau hasn't been quite the same since (shocker). Probably sees Mohebbi for the (3rd?) time in the final, unless Turkey has some other unknown monster stuck behind Akgul at 125kg that shows up.  

Turkey 3 is tough, but he's had trouble with Turkey 2 and Turkey 1.  Totally dominated Turkey 4 and Turkey 5, though.