Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Grand Prix of Spain and Dogu

Dake's strength from the body lock/front head when his opponent is in on his legs is unreal. We saw it against Zahid and he scores a few times this way in the match against Hasanov. 

I just rewatched Dake and Hasanov and the first period he is very hesitant to attack the legs after he gets countered for exposure on his first double leg. Then in the second period he ups his attack rate, gets the lead and forces Hasanov to attack his legs. 

That's why I like Dake's chances moving forward against the rest of the world-they will have to wrestle the perfect match and he has the ability to score both of his offense and defense.

Guys what if it turns out that Dake and Taylor were two of the best in the world this whole time, and JB has just been that good??? I'm sure no one has thought of this yet so keep your tin foil handy next to your grains of salt, but what if

This.

This also points to how good Zahid must be, but we knew that.

Guys what if it turns out that Dake and Taylor were two of the best in the world this whole time, and JB has just been that good??? I'm sure no one has thought of this yet so keep your tin foil handy next to your grains of salt, but what if

Taylor and Dake have gotten much better in the past few years and I think are definite medal contenders.  Especially Taylor.  But it's not like nobody knew JB wasn't GREAT this whole time.  I think a lot of people took for granted how good JB is.

Edited by CA_Wrestler

The losses of J'Den and Green were remarkably similar. Both controlled the majority of the match, didn't capitalize or didn't catch a break when they could have widened the gap. Then, shut down their offense with 2 minutes left and looked like they had nothing left in the tank. Disappointing but glad these types of matches are happening before Worlds. 

Nahshon is a different story. Looked like he got "out freestyled" but showed glimpses of incredible wrestling. If he gets a good draw at worlds and tightens up some of his freestyle deficiencies, he could medal. The world is tough though, and I put him and Logan as least likely to medal at worlds.

Gwiz and Dake look great so far. With the way they're wrestling, I'd be surprised if they both do not wrestle for medals at Worlds. I'm especially impressed with Gwiz-he seems to have added significant size and is so effective in his leg attacks. 

Was the new 2 hour weighin in effect?  J'den and Green pulling too much?

Was the new 2 hour weighin in effect?  J'den and Green pulling too much?

Very real possibility. Green was spent after his match-Laying on the ground like he had nothing left. And J'den looked like he was in physical pain, almost like how people respond to getting the wind knocked out of him. J'den actually wrestled a really good match despite the loss. He got to legs multiple times was in control until the last 90 seconds but had an odd exchange on the edge. He tossed his opponent out of bounds but only received a caution and 1. Should have at least got 2 maybe even 4.

Gwiz loses in that last few. Noticing a pattern here.

Good reminder of how good the world is. At our best we can repeat. Anything short of that and we can get blown out. A guy like Green or Gwiz going 0-1 and we have almost no chance.

Still picking us! Let’s go!

The losses of J'Den and Green were remarkably similar. Both controlled the majority of the match, didn't capitalize or didn't catch a break when they could have widened the gap. Then, shut down their offense with 2 minutes left and looked like they had nothing left in the tank. Disappointing but glad these types of matches are happening before Worlds. 

Nahshon is a different story. Looked like he got "out freestyled" but showed glimpses of incredible wrestling. If he gets a good draw at worlds and tightens up some of his freestyle deficiencies, he could medal. The world is tough though, and I put him and Logan as least likely to medal at worlds.

Gwiz and Dake look great so far. With the way they're wrestling, I'd be surprised if they both do not wrestle for medals at Worlds. I'm especially impressed with Gwiz-he seems to have added significant size and is so effective in his leg attacks. 

Totally agree with your comments. Anyone else notice J'Den did not sweat in his normal way? Don't laugh, but he may have cut every last ounce of water out of that body and could not re hydrate in his normal way and that would matter bigtime. That suggests his Oly year move is UP, not Down. 

Dake is such a sick athlete. That takedown at the beginning of the second period he had was literally him just running circles around Hasanov looking for an ankle. Hasanov looked bewildered like “wtf is this kid doing?”

None of these losses should be a shock. I do think there’s something to the weight cut and Green losing early. He’s been one of, if not the, biggest 70kg’s in the world for the past two years. He was bigger than Chamizo and even Chamizo moved up to 74.

You can pick us to win if you want... but we’re definitely underdogs.

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Dake is such a sick athlete. That takedown at the beginning of the second period he had was literally him just running circles around Hasanov looking for an ankle. Hasanov looked bewildered like “wtf is this kid doing?”

None of these losses should be a shock. I do think there’s something to the weight cut and Green losing early. He’s been one of, if not the, biggest 70kg’s in the world for the past two years. He was bigger than Chamizo and even Chamizo moved up to 74.

You can pick us to win if you want... but we’re definitely underdogs.

Agreed. I said we were underdogs after we won last year. We can still do it though. It isn’t like thinking the Braves will win it all this year

Why didn't Dake get more than 2 for the suplex out of bounds?

Was that the suplex that was so fast and high it went off camera?  If so, then apparently, if you don't see the throw; it can't be scored.

Edited by OKnowwhut

Was interested to see everyone's "Takes" this morning, but then disappointed. Seems like the overwhelming sentiment is Dake is talented.... 10-4

Nashon looked as out of his element as we expected, maybe a year from now he will be more refined, or maybe somebody else will be the guy, i would assume someone else but no idea who? Maple, Graff, Youngster, or are we doomed to lose here. 

James G has simply not been the same guy since last years world, I've noticed this but stayed mute because he still finds ways to win, but the gap continues to shrink with guys outside the top 5, he used to tech everyone he wrestled, but lately a 5-3 decision fending off late takedowns is about all you can expect, I had him penciled in to medal, but my least confident medal pick at this point.

Dake and DT,,,, They are just going insane, I've been a firm believer that DT gets teched by YAZ, and Dake ends up wrestling for Bronze at best, but man.... If they keep looking like this, I'll eat crow all day.

J'den, I've said it 10,245 times, when he is fully invested and everything is on the line, world/olympic/Dake/Taylor, etc.... tough man to beat, but when he is partially invested and you're in Turkey.... shocker,

Gwiz he is clearly behind the top 2 heavies but right there with the next 3, I would favor him against anyone else, I like him to medal when it all counts.

Also, Snyder I expect to win worlds, and I'm foaming at the mouth for JB/Chamizo.
Gillman will medal at worlds, Steiber has ..22245% Chance