Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Grand Prix of Spain and Dogu

I'd also want to see Taylor's matches...he is just crushing these world class wrestlers like chickens...what is going on? :)

I bet he mangles Naifonov again from Russia, only interesting opponent for Taylor is Yazdani. 

Taylor may be the best wrestler in the world right now. His attacks are so varied, he is actually hard to get scouted properly.

JB/Chamizo was just crazy...again...Chamizo is too hazardous to win 74kg imo though at the worlds...JB will edge him but I feel it will be neither who is the champion

Taylor is wrestling again like he did in his PSU college days where he just rung opponents up for TF of FALL, whichever comes first. NLWC doesn't really like Taylor's finals opponent from Azerbajan. I figured Taylor would wreck that dude. 

Dake is also basically ridiculous now. He broke that guy in rd 1. 

Edited by TBar1977

JB/Chamizo was just crazy...again...Chamizo is too hazardous to win 74kg imo though at the worlds...JB will edge him but I feel it will be neither who is the champion

Never going to be a fan of the Chamizo wrestles to wild to win theory, he medals (usually wins) everything he competes in, he is a scrambling wizard but it's not like he's wrestling like Nashon, he is soooo tough to score on

Right now tayor or Dake may be our best, although they don't have the targets on their backs like Kyle or JB.  JB and Kyle are being actively scouted and practiced for.  That make it much harder.  Stayniig on top is much harder than getting there as most should know. Still, DT is wrestling tremendously. His match with the Iranian, should they meet, will be great. 

Yes completely agree.     

Burroughs has lost a step.  He's no longer on that insane run and he's far more human now.  He's been teched out of the Olympic games, made to look human in the come back worlds (he did  manage to win gold) was psuhed to the brink by Dake at the trials, has been pushed and had some close bouts.  He's looked nothing like that beast of a champion he once was.   Still #1 in the world, however.    perhaps #2 after today, losing while surrendering 10 points.        Burroughs is probably wrestling our 4th best right now.  

Snyder was thrown to his back by the Penn State wrestler and soundly beaten by the Michigan star (an outstanding greco wrestler).   He won a nail biter int he NCAA final but he impressed no one.    A 2 time defending champ and multiple time world champ, Olympic champ pushed to the brink by a college guy?      Not Kyle's best moment.    Then the thumping he was taking at BTS before winning by 1.     And then yesterday beaten and bounced from the championship.  Snyder is probably the 2nd best wrestler in the division and deserving of a top ranking for the time being, but he's wrestling at about our 3rd best.     

Dake has looked amazing.    He's running through medalists like they're cereal in the morning.  He looks unstoppable.    

Taylor is on a different level than anyone in USA.   He' s   head and shoulders above.   

Snyder was thrown to his back by the Penn State wrestler and soundly beaten by the Michigan star (an outstanding greco wrestler).   He won a nail biter int he NCAA final but he impressed no one.    A 2 time defending champ and multiple time world champ, Olympic champ pushed to the brink by a college guy?      Not Kyle's best moment.    Then the thumping he was taking at BTS before winning by 1.     And then yesterday beaten and bounced from the championship.  Snyder is probably the 2nd best wrestler in the division and deserving of a top ranking for the time being, but he's wrestling at about our 3rd best.     

Its worth noting that Kyle Snyder was ALSO a college guy last year.

Dake has looked amazing.    He's running through medalists like they're cereal in the morning.  He looks unstoppable.    

Mean this with no other intentions, has he been crushing medalists not named Hasanov? If so I just want to know so my arguments moving forward are more informed, I simply didnt think there were many medalists at the weight?

For the most part agree with Cletus except maybe the commentary regarding Snyder/Coon. Got to give a little acknowledgement to the tremendous size difference as well as the unbelievable schedule he has kept over the last two years. Going to catch up with you particular in the grind of a college season. I hate to say it but I think he loses to Sad this time around, however we have yet to see the best version of Snyder.

Burroughs is still the best at 74kg. He’s past his peak but so damn good past his peak is still one of the very best in the world. He should have won that match today, lost because of a bad decision on the review and a bad call at the end. Loss is still a loss, no excuses, but I think he gets him in Buadapest.

Dake took the loss to the Russian in Russia but he continues to look better each time out. I like him in the rematch should there be one.

Taylor has pretty much just ran through anyone not named Cox the last two years. He and Yaz are on a collision course and I’m every bit looking forward to that one as much as I was Snyder and Sadulaev last year.

Edited by Lurker

Because he barely won on the ice-rink, and then lost their first match on a dry mat, he knows he "Will" beat him the next time out and it takes pressure off.....

With Chamizo already being the underdog, and then winning... i would assume it takes the pressure off him and piles it onto JB aka the FACE of USA wrestling, especially with DT/KD/and Snyderman, trying to take your shine.... dude has to be feeling tremendous pressure.

I'm saying in Burroughs mind he will beat him next time. In reality it is definitely a toss up but I would give a slight edge to Burroughs. There is tremendous pressure either way at the world championships. IMO it is amplified if you are the undefeated favorite to win.

I'm saying in Burroughs mind he will beat him next time. In reality it is definitely a toss up but I would give a slight edge to Burroughs. There is tremendous pressure either way at the world championships. IMO it is amplified if you are the undefeated favorite to win.

OOOOOOOKKKKK you are saying Burroughs coming in with no losses would add to the expectations, now that Chamizo has a win, not everyone is expecting Burroughs to win the title so he can wrestle a little more open, that's fair.

I just wonder about the confidence boost it gives to Chamizo, and if it planted a deeper seed of doubt with JB.

Either way, if they arent on the same side come worlds this could be a great final, but obviously Tsabalov and Demirtas are lurking.

Yes completely agree.

Burroughs has lost a step. He's no longer on that insane run and he's far more human now. He's been teched out of the Olympic games, made to look human in the come back worlds (he did manage to win gold) was psuhed to the brink by Dake at the trials, has been pushed and had some close bouts. He's looked nothing like that beast of a champion he once was. Still #1 in the world, however. perhaps #2 after today, losing while surrendering 10 points. Burroughs is probably wrestling our 4th best right now.

Snyder was thrown to his back by the Penn State wrestler and soundly beaten by the Michigan star (an outstanding greco wrestler). He won a nail biter int he NCAA final but he impressed no one. A 2 time defending champ and multiple time world champ, Olympic champ pushed to the brink by a college guy? Not Kyle's best moment. Then the thumping he was taking at BTS before winning by 1. And then yesterday beaten and bounced from the championship. Snyder is probably the 2nd best wrestler in the division and deserving of a top ranking for the time being, but he's wrestling at about our 3rd best.

Dake has looked amazing. He's running through medalists like they're cereal in the morning. He looks unstoppable.

Taylor is on a different level than anyone in USA. He' s head and shoulders above.

Your trolling used to be better

I will say this. I don’t know it’s logical to say two guys who have never competed in a world championship are our best over two defending world champs with six world and two Olympic golds between them. Having said that, DT and KD winning gold this year, and KS and JB not, is not out of the question. But they have to do it first.

You need to take the blinders off

True. Ask Varner about Taylor. He has beaten Varner at times and only because of size does Varner or Cael beat him. Taylor has past them both on skill. The only thing missing is that World title. Taylor is going to work Yazdani. His only weakness is getting caught by a big muscle freak-Yazdani is not that guy! Taylor is on the weaker side of things and I think some of the Cuban muscle freaks are the only guys who could get him.   

Edited by PRyan2012

I watched the Burroughs final. It looked like Chamizo should have lost because the ref hit him with a caution and one near the end of the first period, but it didn't go on the board. He should have definitely lost. That 4 point throw was a joke, Burroughs didn't expose at all. Burroughs will adjust and beat him at worlds. 

I watched the Burroughs final. It looked like Chamizo should have lost because the ref hit him with a caution and one near the end of the first period, but it didn't go on the board. He should have definitely lost. That 4 point throw was a joke, Burroughs didn't expose at all. Burroughs will adjust and beat him at worlds. 

And you would have said the same if one official out of three asked for a caution against JB? Sometimes the on the mat ref asks for a caution not expecting to be confirmed just hoping the wrestler will get the message.

anyone else notice who stupid the challenge was at the beginning? I don't know if I would want Zadick in my corner....

The challenge right off the bat in the first round by either Zadick or Manning ultimately cost Burroughs the match. 

I was kind of puzzled when the challenge came in for two reasons. 

1. The call looked spot on correct and I couldn't even guess what the challenge was for (I am guessing they wanted a 2 pt TD rather than a step 1 pt step out, but it was not there).

2. Why would you challenge to get one more point while leading by 1 to risk giving up 1 with a much higher probability of the latter happening?

At the time the challenge was thrown, Burroughs was leading 1-0 on the step out.  After they lost the challenge Burroughs was trailing 1-1, criteria.  It made no sense to risk that. That also changed the strategy of the match from Burroughs leading at the time, to losing.

Utimately Burroughs loses 10-10 criteria. That one point hanging out there bigger than ever.  

My point is someone will beat you at some point.  Reinoso beat Smith twice the last few times they wrestled. Smith still won worlds.  But as a Smith fan back then I was mortified and quite worried about Reinoso after the first time he beat John. At some point the best get beat. Who really cares if its earlier in the season?

You are right. Osamu Watanabe won 189 consecutive wrestling matches, as well as gold in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics

Watanabe competed in wrestling tournaments in Europe, America, Asia and won every match. He was known as the “Animal” for his strength, and as the “Swiss Watch” for his technique. He dominated in his career, and in the Tokyo Olympics, coming in as the favorite having won the 1962-1963 World Champion in the men’s featherweight freestyle division .

In the end, when Osamu Watanabe (渡辺長武) took down Soviet wrestler, Nodar Khokhashvili, he had won his 186th and final match without a blemish in the loss column. In fact, during the Tokyo Games, Watanabe was not even scored upon.

But, you are right that someone will beat you at some point. Watanabe lost a Senior world match at the age of 63.

Everyone is throwing the corner under the bus for the challenge. A challenge is ultimately up to the athlete, which is why when the brick is thrown the official goes to the athlete to confirm they want to challenge. In this case, JB called for it.

Everyone is throwing the corner under the bus for the challenge. A challenge is ultimately up to the athlete, which is why when the brick is thrown the official goes to the athlete to confirm they want to challenge. In this case, JB called for it

Expecting the athlete to overrule his coaches in the heat of battle is kind of absurd.  I realize that is does happen now and then, but generally most athletes defer to the coaches figuring that they saw something that the wrestler might have missed while in a flurry.  Don't blame the wrestler for a poor challenge decision by two experienced coaches. 

What I’m saying is ultimately it’s up to the athlete. In this situation JB called for the challenge. As a coach there is a sentiment of having your athletes back. And making sure your athlete knows you have his back. If this were the world championship, maybe a different story. If it were later in the match, maybe a different story. But what I’m saying is in this particular situation, your five time world/Olympic champ said I want to challenge this. I don’t agree with the decision, but I’m not going to throw them to the wolves about it. I.E “I wouldn’t want Zadick in my corner”, “Manning is a cheer leader, not a coach”.

A bit extra, all I’m saying.