Sign in to follow this  
Don Mog

Greco needs shirts

Okay. After checking the new greco rules and attending a few competitions using them, I'm now a firm believer in change.

Greco-roman wrestling attire needs shirt-shorts -combination.

Wrestlers all around the world have hoped that rules would be more open with less rules and referee deciding the outcome of the match. Now these "passive wrestling" -rules make greco even more referee maintained sport. Okay, there are more bodylock moves and throws, but arm throws are gone. Like totally gone.

A simple fix to all of this is to change the attire. There are no longer any reasons not to change into technical shirts with short or long sleeves. These make throws easier to execute even in later in the match. At the same time there would be less skin diseases, it would help the sport look better on tv, and help sell more wrestling stuff

Greco lives and dies by it's throws. No casual viewer cares about mat rolls.

Fix this before greco dies.

When wrestling was on the Olympic chopping block and looking for ways to save it, they proposed drastic changes to the uniform, one of them being Greco would be shirtless with spandex pants. I couldn't remember the details, so I googled "olympic wrestling uniform change greco roman no shirt", and apparently the gay community was really happy with the proposal... https://www.outsports.com/2013/5/6/4304014/greco-roman-wrestling-olympics-shirtless-ioc-fila

When wrestling was on the Olympic chopping block and looking for ways to save it, they proposed drastic changes to the uniform, one of them being Greco would be shirtless with spandex pants. I couldn't remember the details, so I googled "olympic wrestling uniform change greco roman no shirt", and apparently the gay community was really happy with the proposal... https://www.outsports.com/2013/5/6/4304014/greco-roman-wrestling-olympics-shirtless-ioc-fila

It was stupid as hell. Greco has always had a problem with wrestlers not being able to execute attacks because of sweat. The above just proves that no wrestlers are discussed with when they are deciding these things. 

Also: It's not a good thing that you have to change the rules constantly to get wrestlers execute more throws-especially when a shirt would fix pretty much everything.

But no, because reasons.

Its actually way harder to gut wrench with compression tops because you cant grip them very well and when both guys are wearing them, there is no friction and you slide.  Same with bodylocks.

Fantastic. Less gut wrenches for greco would be fantastic! No one cares about gut wrenches, not even the wrestlers. Definitely not the viewers. What compression shirts do help with is arm throws and the like. Pulling your hand away with a shirt is much harder than without a shirt. All wrestlers know this.

And still, I am for a change of attire instead of making constant silly changes to the rules. I have over 30 years of wrestling (greco&freestyle)behind me, and even I am starting see the seams in greco. Some examples of some of the rules that have been tried and or are in use:

- You have to wrestle chest to your opponent, and not side first. Because if your opponent sucks at attacking you at this position, he can't execute moves!

- You have to put your arms into dangerous positions, because statistically more moves are executed like that (Doh!).

- Your head has to be up at all times regardless of how your opponent is wrestling you because this helps him execute moves.

- The most ridiculous rule change ever n. 1, the clinch. Because greco is all about wrestling like a drunken sailor in some habor.

- Grabbing the wrist is fordbidden if you do not execute attack straight away. Because sure, greco is all about those quick, ankle-pick like moves. 

- The most ridiculous rule change ever n. 2, the Karelin killer: don't fix the lock, otherwise your opponent gets a point!

- No overtime. Who cares about tiring out your opponent, since no opponent is going to tire in a few minutes? 

- Forced parterre. If you want your opponent to the mat, yous should PUT him there.

- Defending lifts. You can only defend a lift this way, not this way. God forbid if you defend a lift this way!!

- Rules in general are ridiculous. So many rules. No wonder the older wrestling fans have no idea what's happening on the mat. Even some top level wrestlers seem to be at loss during a match. 

All these stupidities could be avoided. Change the attire to actually make the sport better for the viewers and the wrestlers. Constant rule changes towards a smaller usable moveset is not a great way to enhance the sport. 

Edited by Don Mog

aside from the sky is falling mentality that everyone has towards greco, i will just say a couple of things...

Hazewinkel won a spot on the world team by scoring almost exclusively with arm throws... 

gut wrenches are the absolute most impressive thing in international wrestling... both attacking and defending... a wrestler with a quality gut wrench (attacking and defense) got that way by sacrifice... no one likes practicing them because they suk to perfect both attacking and defending... and the absolute best thing about gut wrenches is they steal your soul... you can see someone defend defend defend then just give up... it is the absolute best thing in wrestling...

don't appreciate guts?

don't appreciate greco as a whole?

kick rocks, nerd...

So, no gut wrenches, shirts with sleeves...  Sounds like Judo

No-one cares about gut wrenches. No-one. Definitely not some random sports viewers. I get it, it the easiest move in (greco-roman)wrestling to get points. It's also the most boring.

And judo is different, and it is also suffocating in it's rulebase. No attacks to the legs unless an immediate move is executed? Come on! It's almost like the people deciding wrestling rules are the same people who are ruining judo...

Edited by Don Mog

Fantastic. Less gut wrenches for greco would be fantastic! No one cares about gut wrenches, not even the wrestlers. Definitely not the viewers. What compression shirts do help with is arm throws and the like. Pulling your hand away with a shirt is much harder than without a shirt. All wrestlers know this.

And still, I am for a change of attire instead of making constant silly changes to the rules. I have over 30 years of wrestling (greco&freestyle)behind me, and even I am starting see the seams in greco. Some examples of some of the rules that have been tried and or are in use:

- You have to wrestle chest to your opponent, and not side first. Because if your opponent sucks at attacking you at this position, he can't execute moves!

- You have to put your arms into dangerous positions, because statistically more moves are executed like that (Doh!).

- Your head has to be up at all times regardless of how your opponent is wrestling you because this helps him execute moves.

- The most ridiculous rule change ever n. 1, the clinch. Because greco is all about wrestling like a drunken sailor in some habor.

- Grabbing the wrist is fordbidden if you do not execute attack straight away. Because sure, greco is all about those quick, ankle-pick like moves. 

- The most ridiculous rule change ever n. 2, the Karelin killer: don't fix the lock, otherwise your opponent gets a point!

- No overtime. Who cares about tiring out your opponent, since no opponent is going to tire in a few minutes? 

- Forced parterre. If you want your opponent to the mat, yous should PUT him there.

- Defending lifts. You can only defend a lift this way, not this way. God forbid if you defend a lift this way!!

- Rules in general are ridiculous. So many rules. No wonder the older wrestling fans have no idea what's happening on the mat. Even some top level wrestlers seem to be at loss during a match. 

All these stupidities could be avoided. Change the attire to actually make the sport better for the viewers and the wrestlers. Constant rule changes towards a smaller usable moveset is not a great way to enhance the sport. 

Not fighting the lock in par-terre has always seemed the most ridiculous to me, but it's a helluva list.

Put them in compression rash-guard tops, it's worth a try.

Also, make the mat MUCH smaller...get them pushing so they don't go out...you will see people get launched regularly.

Re: Guts: Anyone who has wrestled Greco knows, They take guts to do, and the take guts to defend, and i don't see any reason why they are less interesting than a tilt, lace, or cradle?