WillieBoy

Stoll, J Robinson and the cops?

Stoll lied to the cops about being shot. Will most likely be prosecuted.

J Robinson lied to the cops. No prosecution.

Different States and different levels. But lying to the cops is not a good thing and prosecution should be the normal course of affairs. Even more so with a Coach than an athlete.

Different States and different levels. But lying to the cops is not a good thing and prosecution should be the normal course of affairs. Even more so with a Coach than an athlete.

Lying to cops shouldn't even be against the law.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Lying specifically wouldn’t be the problem. Impeding a criminal investigation due to giving false information would be the issue. That wouldn’t necessarily be covered under freedom of speech. You can let the new make up of the Supreme Court rule on that one. But you could also take the approch that blocking the process of a criminal investigation could be precieved as infringing upon the basic right of the public at large. Edited by MadMardigain

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Miranda v. State of Arizona

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Miranda v. State of Arizona

I think it's hilarious how they add "and will". As if everything you say could be used. Maybe you get arrested, sitting in the back of the cop car on the way to jail, and you say "Wow, what a beautiful day it is outside!".

I'd like to see them use THAT "against me" :D

I think it's hilarious how they add "and will". As if everything you say could be used. Maybe you get arrested, sitting in the back of the cop car on the way to jail, and you say "Wow, what a beautiful day it is outside!".

That could be used against you depending on how you say it. Also, the context would matter. Suppose it was a day where there was an earthquake, flood, or wildfires you were driving thru. Miranda is meant to be a catch all. 

At least the police will retain your words instead of bowing to pressure and deleting them.

Simply lying to the police is not a crime in Iowa. Filing a false "report" is a crime but that requres that someone take affirmative steps such as phoning 911 or otherwise summoning the police. "Providing" false information is only an offense if the police include the information in a citation or complaint against another. 

Sam did not phone the police. The cops came to the hospital to investigate when notified by the emergency room personal. So he "reported" nothing. Also, the information Stoll "provided" was not used to charge another. Nobody else was charged and in fact Sam's "lie" was denying that anyone else was involved.

If he has a decent lawyer this will get dumped. It's all pretty dumb, but it's not a crime in Iowa.

Edited by headache

Most places it's not illegal to lie to police, unless you are filing a false report or already in custody/detained for something else.

Example:  Officer asks me my name and I say I'm Christian Pyles when my name is actually Willie Saylor, he can't arrest me.  If he has arrested me for public intoxication, and then does that same thing, then I can be arrested.  At least in Florida.

Most places it's not illegal to lie to police, unless you are filing a false report or already in custody/detained for something else.

Example:  Officer asks me my name and I say I'm Christian Pyles when my name is actually Willie Saylor, he can't arrest me.  If he has arrested me for public intoxication, and then does that same thing, then I can be arrested.  At least in Florida.

Can't almost any circumstance be regarded as 'detained' and any lie is therefore obstruction?

On a different note, there is well established legal precedent allowing the police to lie.

Can't almost any circumstance be regarded as 'detained' and any lie is therefore obstruction?

On a different note, there is well established legal precedent allowing the police to lie.

In Florida, you're required to have a "reasonable, articulable suspicion" to be detained in anyway, and there must be probable cause to actually arrest them.

Vaguely recall the Minnesota case specifics regarding Robinson and what he did with the dope.   I believe he disposed of  it.      Taking possession of controlled substance and destroying evidence regarding to a case police specifically question someone about would seem to be in conflict with justice.   I' think J would be in some sort of a pickle here.   The Iowa case seems to me Stoll has suffered enough and no criminal intent here.