Sign in to follow this  
Heisenberg

Ten Million Dollar Gold Medal

The living the dream fund currently offers the following for medals:

World       Olympics

Gold         50K          250K

Silver        25K          50K

Bronze     15K          25K

If the those numbers were dramatically increased what long term influence would it have on USA wrestling?  Any at all?  I'm thinking of crazy numbers like ten million for gold, 5 mil for silver, 1 mil for bronze for both Olympics and worlds.  A big number that would draw the attention of mainstream news (espn, etc).  Would guys like Cejudo, Sanderson, etc have stayed in competitive wrestling longer?  Would it have no influence at all?  Thoughts?

(Fyi, I'm not a secret billionaire looking to add to the fund)

People may hang around a little longer, but overall the guys most capable stick with the sport "as is", no matter the size of the reward the fact is: everyone who is competing on the world stage from every country wants to win, the added pressure/incentive of 10 million dollars may change the dreams of the athletes but training is what effects results, if we threw an extra 10 million into our training/coaching/development program that would yield you more results than the proverbial carrot.

if you somehow had a $10million prize for winning an olympic gold but put no extra money anywhere else into the system I think you would see better results for USA but it would not be as effective as taking that $10million and distributed across a broader swath of the sport. 

i think a better use of $10million would be endowing 5 to 10 good paying full time RTC roster spots, or endowing a tournament with at least $50K/weight in prize money. 

but upping the living the dream fund by an order of magnitude or two would be cool too ;) 

The living the dream fund currently offers the following for medals:

World       Olympics

Gold         50K          250K

Silver        25K          50K

Bronze     15K          25K

If the those numbers were dramatically increased what long term influence would it have on USA wrestling?  Any at all?  I'm thinking of crazy numbers like ten million for gold, 5 mil for silver, 1 mil for bronze for both Olympics and worlds.  A big number that would draw the attention of mainstream news (espn, etc).  Would guys like Cejudo, Sanderson, etc have stayed in competitive wrestling longer?  Would it have no influence at all?  Thoughts?

(Fyi, I'm not a secret billionaire looking to add to the fund)

I wish it were more like:

World       Olympics

Gold         100K        1M

Silver        50K          100K

Bronze     35K           70K

I don't see why anyone earning a medal at the world level should have less than a median income, and everyone knows it's more competitive during the Olympics. Isn't the payout for an Olympic Gold repeat currently $500K? I like the idea of repeat medalists doing even better than their first time - it might keep some of the veterans involved for a little longer, which should keep the depth pool deep. 

And like JH said, spread the rest around so a greater depth of athletes can focus on training. 

It would have a big impact, but not a quick one.  $10 million is a huge number and it would cause a ton of guys to throw their hat in the ring.

More guys would skip folkstyle for sure.  If you're going to train either way, train for the big prize.  Truly elite recruits who did go to college would make their choice almost exclusively based on what it meant for their FS future (like prep basketball stars to schools who produce NBA stars more than to schools that win NCAA titles).  

A few more guys would stay away from MMA.  but most of the elite guys don't go there until after their olympic runs anyways.  Even more guys would take a 1 year break from MMA every Olympic year to try to win that.  A guy like Cormier might be 1 in 100 to win Olympic gold at his age, but I bet $10 million would make him skip 1 fight and spend a training camp prepping for OTTs.  If you make the team after 3-4 months you really go for it.  If not you've lost very little.  This might be the biggest impact on the sport.  If a bunch of recognizable MMA stars were competing in the OTT it would get tons more press.  Especially since ESPN just bought UFC media rights.  If they could put Cormier and a bunch of others they owned broadcast rights to on air for almost nothing, they'd outbid NBC or whoever to do it just to cross promote their UFC stars.  Plus you'd definitely see highlights/results of those guys on sportscenter.  We'd basically borrow mainstream stars for a few weeks.  And it'd be even better if Kyle Snyder smashed Cormier (likely).  He'd become the baddest man on earth.  

lol skipping college at the off chance you'll make the team and win an Olympic gold is pretty extreme... lol if it was 10 million for any gold medal world or olympic  it's just still such a pipe dream. If financial incentive was the goal, take 10 million, allow a certain percent for the #1 guy, the # 2 and the #3 ... where you could earn a decent living as a wrestler, and you'd see an increase in the desire for #1 over time, but seriously 250k is award enough, no athlete is like, "well I made it here, but with only 250k on the line not sure how much effort I will give"

10mil is a great reward but it simply doesnt change the skill level of the athletes, they would have to be trained better to beat athletes on the world level not just "want riches"

It would encourage some of our best athletes to stick around longer (i.e. Cael and Cejudo would've done more than one cycle), but I believe that's it as far as advantages go. It would not help our guys perform better. As others have mentioned everyone already wants to win. The pressure of a $10 million payout would probably have a negative impact on our performance. I think that was a big part of JB's problem in 2016. He was trying to provide for his family and build his legacy as the greatest American wrestler of all time. That's a lot of pressure. Imagine if he were just getting paid a decent living every year to train and he got that money no matter what his performance was at worlds/olympics. We would definitely be better off paying the top 3 or so guys at each weight a good living with no incentives on performance at worlds/olympics. The incentive to work hard is still there to remain in the top 3 (and to get to #1 since the pay would be higher), but they can then wrestle free of added pressure at the world and olympic championships. 

It would encourage some of our best athletes to stick around longer (i.e. Cael and Cejudo would've done more than one cycle), but I believe that's it as far as advantages go. It would not help our guys perform better. As others have mentioned everyone already wants to win. The pressure of a $10 million payout would probably have a negative impact on our performance. I think that was a big part of JB's problem in 2016. He was trying to provide for his family and build his legacy as the greatest American wrestler of all time. That's a lot of pressure. Imagine if he were just getting paid a decent living every year to train and he got that money no matter what his performance was at worlds/olympics. We would definitely be better off paying the top 3 or so guys at each weight a good living with no incentives on performance at worlds/olympics. The incentive to work hard is still there to remain in the top 3 (and to get to #1 since the pay would be higher), but they can then wrestle free of added pressure at the world and olympic championships. 

It's hilarious that you guys think that guys won't work any harder for $10 million but they will feel more pressure for $10 million.  More pressure means you care more.  Search the world over and the bigger the money the higher the level the sport is performed at.  This wouldn't be the most efficient way to spend $10 million by a longshot, and the impact would not be quick, but it would definitely make a difference over time.  

Search the world over and the bigger the money the higher the level the sport is performed at. 

Are you telling me that the better the athlete the more money they get paid.... #mindBlown

So you're trying to tell me Kevin Durant makes more than College kids? You have the nerve to try to convince me Tom Brady makes more than high-school kids? You have the unmitigated gall to sit here, with a straight face and tell me Kyle Snyder earns more than Jason Chamberlin? Makes no sense, and if it is provable, somebody correct me but as for now I will maintain that, the lower level the athlete the higher the salary.

Note* You might be onto something though, with the new TV deals and salary cap, I expect at least 2 NBA players to become at least 80% shooters from full court, because they have the potential to earn outrageous money, and given a big enough carrot, athletes feel no pressure, just incentive to get paid.... probably by the end of 2018 you'll see Curry 7.0

*Sports salaries are direct results of how much the club/sport is bringing in and the importance of that particular athlete to the overall results.

Giving a mediocre athlete more money doesn't change his skill level. Every professional mainstream athlete has the incentive of a bigger contract.

Edited by spladle08

It's hilarious that you guys think that guys won't work any harder for $10 million but they will feel more pressure for $10 million.  More pressure means you care more.  Search the world over and the bigger the money the higher the level the sport is performed at.  This wouldn't be the most efficient way to spend $10 million by a longshot, and the impact would not be quick, but it would definitely make a difference over time.

How much harder do you think guys like Burroughs and Snyder can train before they are over training? Many people think Americans overtrain already... I know Metcalf was accused of it. I agree more money can definitely give them extra motivation, but my point was they are already highly intrinsically motivated. $10 million dollars would add an extremely high level of extrinsic motivation which has been shown to have some negative side effects (such as added pressure).

I don't really agree that the bigger the money the higher the sport is performed at. The more valuable a player is to a rich organization, the more money they make. In the NBA, NFL, etc. generally the better players are more valuable so they make the most money. USA wrestling doesn't have the money that the NBA has but Burroughs and Snyder are performing at GOAT levels. They are both better at their sport than Kevin Durant but don't make near the money

It would be better for the sport if a guy wins a gold medal that the top 5 guys get a portion of that money also.

1st- $5mil

2nd- 2 mil

3rd- 1.5 mil

4th- 1mil

5th- 500,000

I like that idea.  No one would avoid Burroughs and Snyder in that system.  Additionally the lower level guys would have incentive to push/improve the top guy where the 10 mil for first idea would give then incentive to see the top guy fall or stagnate.

It would be better for the sport if a guy wins a gold medal that the top 5 guys get a portion of that money also.

1st- $5mil

2nd- 2 mil

3rd- 1.5 mil

4th- 1mil

5th- 500,000

This is very interesting.

I have long thought that we need to put more money into the rest of the guys to ensure that the guys who are in the 3-5 range stick with it longer and can develop more but of course, money is scarce.

I hadn't thought about rewarding the guys at the weight on the world team. Could think of it as a caddy cut or a training partner bonus. It might actually pay more to be a second guy at a weight than a top guy at a weight who doesn't make the Olympic team or makes it and goes 0-1.

May have delayed it another Olympic cycle, but Pico was pretty set at going MMA from an early age. I would say he would have still jumped brfore his freestyle decline if a decent MMA offer was on the table if he made a World/Olympic team during that time.

Edited by MadMardigain

Well I don't have a stat sheet in front of me listing all our medals we have won at the various levels and styles, but I would say that over the last few years we are enjoying a lot of success. And even though our wrestlers are not getting huge payouts, we must be doing something right with our money, (along with all the other things that we are doing to help our wrestlers have the best opportunity to be successful). So while it would be nice for our guys and girls to get an increase in their medal fund, I just hope that whatever we do, we insure our continued successful trajectory.

Money like this might keep a guy like Pico out of MMA. That would be the main difference. These guys all train like madmen already. 

There's no way.

Aaron's already made $180k in his 3 wins, which came a little over a year from his debut.

Edited by CA_Wrestler