• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

After going 0-forever against GOAT's Sanderson 0-6, Gatsalov 0-3 and Jones 0-2 Cormier finally wins the mega match at 39 years old! Never give up! Never give up! After Lesnar he could be the wealthiest guy in our sport. Never would have thought that. His last 3 fights could make $$$. He wants one more this year and 2 next year then retire. 

Edited by PRyan2012, 07 July 2018 - 10:46 PM.

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

Why not put this in the MMA section of the forum? There's already a thread there. 

Edited by Billyhoyle, 07 July 2018 - 11:31 PM.

• PRyan2012 likes this

#3 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:44 PM

39? O-fer huh? That’s amazing!

If you use Tapatalk and follow multiple forums displayed by “timeline” you’ll see this either way.

#4 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:02 AM

A huge kudos to Cormier for his win last night.  What  spectacular finish.   I can't imagine he will out earn McGregor or GSP no matter the Brock fight, but despite the match up being entirely meritless and a complete joke of their belt system (Brock zero wins in last 8 years and currently suspended by USADA for a PED failure and gets a title shot anyways) I'm happy for Cormier.   He should make some good coin on that one.    $5M or so would be my guess.    Good for him.     

• tbert likes this

#5 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

Loses to the proven cheater Jones should not count against him. JMO
  • silver-medal, cjc007 and tbert like this

#6 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Only 1 is on his record, the other fight was ruled a No Contrst after Jones blood test results showed the violation.

#7 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:57 AM

I get that but I am not buying Jones got caught the first time he cheated so IMO loses to a multiple time proven cheat will not hurt Cormier’s legacy.

#8 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:00 AM

After going 0-forever against GOAT's Sanderson 0-6, Gatsalov 0-3 and Jones 0-2 Cormier finally wins the mega match at 39 years old! Never give up! Never give up! After Lesnar he could be the wealthiest guy in our sport. Never would have thought that. His last 3 fights could make $$$. He wants one more this year and 2 next year then retire. 

Thanks for posting

• PRyan2012 likes this
MAGA!

#9 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:23 AM

Do people feel the same way about Jordan Oliver or Obe Blanc as they do Jon Jones?
  • PSUMike likes this

#10 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:29 AM

JO and Obe versus Jones? Is that a serious question?? I recommend you Google Turinabol before you compare taking amphetamines to taking one of the most potent steroids ever.

Cormier is a class act, an infectiously positive role model, and deserves all the success he has had and will continue to have until he retires. He is a true champion in sport and life.
  • silver-medal and tbert like this

#11 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

So are there levels to cheating? How long was Jones suspended for Turinabol? According to Angry Fish JO was suspended two years for his positive test so it must have been pretty serious.

#12 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

JO and Obe versus Jones? Is that a serious question?? I recommend you Google Turinabol before you compare taking amphetamines to taking one of the most potent steroids ever.

Cormier is a class act, an infectiously positive role model, and deserves all the success he has had and will continue to have until he retires. He is a true champion in sport and life.

I haven't liked Cormier since he trash talked Dean Morrison at the open or the trials one year and thought he was a pud when he threw a punch at the Iranian when he lost the bronze medal match in Athens. Then I really thought he was a loser for what he did in Beijing. As much as I don't like Lesnar either, I hope he punches a hole in Cormier's face. 

• Cletus_Tucker likes this
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#13 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

So are there levels to cheating? How long was Jones suspended for Turinabol? According to Angry Fish JO was suspended two years for his positive test so it must have been pretty serious.

If JO used his cheating to win a few gold medals that were later stripped it would be viewed differently.  JO cheated to become one of the best Americans for a short while.  Jones cheated to become the greatest in the (short) history of his sport.  When you are in the GOAT conversation you are judged more harshly because people care more.  

Additionally Jones has other suspensions for recreational drugs and arrests as well.  Those things color how cheating is perceived.  

Edited by boconnell, 08 July 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#14 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

Suspended for 1 year.

#15 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,938 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

Is this a serious question?  Of course there are levels to cheating.

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#16 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

The reason I posted is because of the story of perseverance! Not many people get this many shots at GOAT's in their careers and lose to all of them every time until now....and then actually beat a GOAT at 39 years old like Cormier did !!! There is no one left to fight for him really. He should fight Lesnar and make some $, then give the #1 guy at Lt Heavy or Heavy a shot, then fight a clean Jones and retire.  

#17 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:43 AM

You're very naive. 

#18 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:11 AM

The reason I posted is because of the story of perseverance! Not many people get this many shots at GOAT's in their careers and lose to all of them every time until now....and then actually beat a GOAT at 39 years old like Cormier did !!! There is no one left to fight for him really. He should fight Lesnar and make some $, then give the #1 guy at Lt Heavy or Heavy a shot, then fight a clean Jones and retire.

It’s great that you’re excited, but there’s a great thread in the MMA section about this. Cormier hasn’t been relevant in freestyle for a decade. I will say his move to MMA has been great because the last two to compete at his weight in freestyle have both made weight and won Olympic gold medals.
  • jchapman likes this

#19 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:36 AM

It’s great that you’re excited, but there’s a great thread in the MMA section about this. Cormier hasn’t been relevant in freestyle for a decade. I will say his move to MMA has been great because the last two to compete at his weight in freestyle have both made weight and won Olympic gold medals.

Haha. I was upset also. Especially for Damien Hahn-really hurt for that guy. But it does have to bite that the next two guys at his weight won Olympic Gold-never really thought about that. But you have to admit not many people I know get a shot at so many greats like Cormier did!

Edited by PRyan2012, 09 July 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#20 airmail

airmail

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:18 AM

I was there & watched.  Was ridiculous how they morphed it into a WWE circus afterward.   Everything aside about Jones, he handled himself with absolute class after he beat Cormier the 2nd time, said respectful things about Daniel.    

Stipe Miocic deserved a helluva lot more respect than what he was shown.  Good for Cormier on his upcoming payday, but I'll be enjoying the next fight from the comfort of my local watering hole, where I can get Bacardi & Cokes spilled on me by people I know anyway.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users