• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

Why the hell would Romero deserve a title shot with Cormier?

#42 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:23 AM

Cormier specifically said he wanted big fights and wasn’t a go fight someone that can’t draw PPV buys and ticket sales. He said he would consider Gus, who has done good in sales before, if Gus can step up but in his next fight and show it. But DC was unsure, based PPV numbers on past performance, there was anyone else at 205 worth fighting at this point. He also said he didn’t feel Romero deserved a title shot since he’s not bring in large PPV numbers and he just lost a fight.

Correct but I bet Gus fights Romero. Winner gets to be Cormier's last fight. Romero won that title fight at 185 against Whitaker and he is killing himself at 185 making weight at 39 years old. Or Cormier could pick the best heavyweight after the end of year like say Werdum and then retire. Or a clean Jones. Those are looking like Dana's three options with Romero Gus winner being the biggest draw. This is all of course if Cormier beats Lesnar. And Cormier admitted Romero would outwrestle him. But Romero hardly ever uses his wrestling!

Edited by PRyan2012, 12 July 2018 - 03:26 AM.

#43 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Why the hell would Romero deserve a title shot with Cormier?

He really shouldn't be given a shot. He should fight GUS first. That winner would be a good money ending legit fight for Cormier.

#44 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

DC isn't fighting Romero or Gus. He doesn't want to do it (said so himself) and neither are particularly big fights to the point where the UFC will want to strong arm him into doing it. In fact DC's first fight with Gus was a flop and Romero isn't a draw. DC says he is willing to fight Shogun at LHW which is kind of laughable considering how past it Shogun is but understandable from his perspective. I'm guessing he wants a relatively easy win at then to fight Brock. First fight with Gus was a tough 5 round fight which he won by split decision and almost got finished when Gus connected with a knee, why go through that again? And to be honest I really think Romero beats him. DC too poor defensively and Romero too smart. Either way win or lose Romero hurts guys badly. I don't see the UFC making him fight Gus or Romero even though those are the two best fights. I think we see Gus vs Romero and DC just sits out until the Lesnar fight. 

Edited by Shiraz123, 12 July 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#45 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:17 AM

DC isn't fighting Romero or Gus. He doesn't want to do it (said so himself) and neither are particularly big fights to the point where the UFC will want to strong arm him into doing it. In fact DC's first fight with Gus was a flop and Romero isn't a draw. DC says he is willing to fight Shogun at LHW which is kind of laughable considering how past it Shogun is but understandable from his perspective. I'm guessing he wants a relatively easy win at then to fight Brock. First fight with Gus was a tough 5 round fight which he won by split decision and almost got finished when Gus connected with a knee, why go through that again? And to be honest I really think Romero beats him. DC too poor defensively and Romero too smart. Either way win or lose Romero hurts guys badly. I don't see the UFC making him fight Gus or Romero even though those are the two best fights. I think we see Gus vs Romero and DC just sits out until the Lesnar fight. 

But true wrestling/UFC fans if asked would want to see the winner of GUS vs Romero fight Cormier in his last fight after Lesnar. That is Cormier's toughest fight even tougher than a clean Jones.

#46 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:28 AM

that is a bold statement... "true" wrestling/UFC fans only want Gus/Romero?

i would consider myself a "true" wrestling/UFC fan and the fight i want to see is him and jones at heavy... that would be the defining moment for DC one way or the other... 

• PRyan2012, Yellow_Medal and boconnell like this

#47 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:31 AM

Will DC go back to 205 after fighting Brock? I doubt it. I think if he fights 205 again it's before the Brock fight not after. Remember Brock is not even allowed to fight until January due to USADA so DC has some waiting to do. I honestly don't see him taking the risk of a Romero or Gus fight. You are right that is the far tougher fight and it's what I would like to see but that's why it is not happening. An old past his prime Shogun is a relatively safe pay day and another title defence on his record which is why he called him out specifically. Romero breaks guys orbitals, detaches retinas, etc. Gus not as brutal but also has a good chance at beating DC also. Way too much of a risk before a Brock fight which is a big money fight for DC. Keep in mind DC on his own is not a draw, he needs a big name opponent to draw. It isn't like McGregor where he will get big PPV buys no matter who he fights. 

As far as Jones, he isn't even cleared. I'm sure DC would drop these other fights to get another shot at him but we'll have to see what punishment USADA hands him.  By the time Jones comes back DC may be retired.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#48 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

Have to get the fight/fights in before March of this year. DC promised his family he would be done for good when he turned 40.

Edited by MadMardigain, 12 July 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#49 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

DC will fight brock and then jones.  book it.

• KTG119 likes this

#50 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

DC will fight brock and then jones.  book it.

That would do him the best$$$. Would be considered GOAT if he could pull that off. A clean Jones! Would love to see Romero get in there if he beats GUS.

#51 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

I don't understand why he'd take a light heavy fight unless it was a big money matchup.  Otherwise why bother taking fights with a big weight cut in a division you cleaned out.  

The idea Romero beats him is absurd.  Romero just lost consecutive fights to a 185 lb man who isn't the P4P equal of Cormier.  Romero just doesn't fight to win rounds so he will lose to anyone who does.  Cormier will win rounds against him even if Romero does more 'damge'.  But either way it's a pointless fight and one Romero doesn't deserve.  

Cormier will fight Brock and then a farewell fight at heavy.  Maybe Jones if he's available, if not someone who is a name and can sell a fight.  Either way I bet Cormier never weighs 205 lbs again in his life.  He was 246 lbs for last week's win.

#52 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:39 AM

then a farewell fight at heavy. Maybe Jones if he's available, if not someone who is a name and can sell a fight.

So vs McGregor and Rousey at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users