• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#1 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Some guys have a knack for finishing the deal, when it means the most.  I've seen them in wrestling, especially coaching, and I've seen it in pool rooms watching the short stops and the pros play.  Some guys just simply over perform when the cash is on the line.  Some guys find another gear...they have IT.  IT.   To me, it was John and Kenny, and Pat and Lee Roy, and Mike and Johnny Jake and the Kellers, and Fujita and Pat M, and Cael and the list goes on and on.  Penn State and Cornell certainly have their share, as do the Hawkeyes, and a few others.  Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Snyder are my heroes, but the job is still hiring.  I've seen all of them since 1972 I guess.  This team, as great as it is, will be in an all out battle with at least two other serious contenders...you can't make this stuff up.

• TobusRex and rstrong like this

#2 Mokoma

Mokoma

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

What in the serious F are you even talking about.
  • scribe, spladle08 and jcjcjc like this

#3 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

He is talking about the painfully naive, gross, fan mentality based theory that some people are sprinkled with magic winner dust. 

• spladle08, GockeS and jcjcjc like this

#4 Cooch1

Cooch1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

I think he's a fantastic fan, really psyched about next year, and all previous years, to 1972.

• JHRoseWrestling, TobusRex and Cletus_Tucker like this

Vic Marcucci

#5 rstrong

rstrong

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Some guys have a knack for finishing the deal, when it means the most.  I've seen them in wrestling, especially coaching, and I've seen it in pool rooms watching the short stops and the pros play.  Some guys just simply over perform when the cash is on the line.  Some guys find another gear...they have IT.  IT.   To me, it was John and Kenny, and Pat and Lee Roy, and Mike and Johnny Jake and the Kellers, and Fujita and Pat M, and Cael and the list goes on and on.  Penn State and Cornell certainly have their share, as do the Hawkeyes, and a few others.  Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Snyder are my heroes, but the job is still hiring.  I've seen all of them since 1972 I guess.  This team, as great as it is, will be in an all out battle with at least two other serious contenders...you can't make this stuff up.

Couldn't agree more - Like the best of the best, Penn State has always come up big when it matters - but it's a new year this fall and the battles will begin all over again. Maybe we will have a new set of heroes...

However it shakes out, in all likelihood, it's going to be one of the best seasons in wrestling history.

Thanks for your post, Peso.

Edited by rstrong, 10 July 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#6 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

No magic in winning. It’s innate athleticism, skill acquisition, and hard work. The impact of coaching is more relevant at the younger levels. Sometimes luck plays a role.

Edited by gowrestle, 11 July 2018 - 05:35 AM.

#7 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

Peso got into the whiskey a little early yesterday, huh?

• spladle08, PSUMike and Peso like this

#8 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:26 AM

He is talking about the painfully naive, gross, fan mentality based theory that some people are sprinkled with magic winner dust. 

There's no doubt some guys perform better under pressure than others.  IMO the "painfully naive, gross, fan mentality" is the idea that their guy won because he "wanted it more." 

#9 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

I've seen it first hand too, Peso. Some guys just know how to bring it when it matters, when the whole enchilada is on the line.

#10 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:35 AM

Lol

I think he's a fantastic fan, really psyched about next year, and all previous years, to 1972.

I agree.  Nothing wrong with a little positive enthusiasm around here. 

There's no doubt some guys perform better under pressure than others.  IMO the "painfully naive, gross, fan mentality" is the idea that their guy won because he "wanted it more." 

I'm always amazed at how well certain athletes handle pressure.  Watching something like the US Open or The Masters in golf, with these guys holding it together for four straight days when one bad shot would spell disaster, is incredible.

#11 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:20 AM

its how they train

#12 denger

denger

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:42 AM

its how they train

I agree, that's most of it. But I think there's something about faith that takes a few people further. 

I think athleticism at the highest level is razor thin when comparing champs too - obviously different athletes have different natural gifts, which leads to some wrestlers being better matched against some than others.  Although, I've heard Zain described as "not particularly athletic, just hard nosed and determined", which makes me happy to be wrong about this.

Back to that point about faith - When I look at Burroughs and Snyder, I do see them as having an unusual level of belief in their ability to perform. Maybe that's just what they exude. Maybe it's only observable because of their success. But the "All I See Is Gold" thing worked out great for JB. And I stand by my thoughts on Snyder from a few years ago, that he had no business going out there and beating the world...until he proved us all wrong! 

I'm pretty sure religious faith supports that greater than faith. I suspect that an atheist would be way to logical to beat someone who thinks it's their destiny. 

#13 PhiferFuqua

PhiferFuqua

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:59 AM

Harsh.

But funny.

#14 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

I agree, that's most of it. But I think there's something about faith that takes a few people further. 

I think athleticism at the highest level is razor thin when comparing champs too - obviously different athletes have different natural gifts, which leads to some wrestlers being better matched against some than others.  Although, I've heard Zain described as "not particularly athletic, just hard nosed and determined", which makes me happy to be wrong about this.

Back to that point about faith - When I look at Burroughs and Snyder, I do see them as having an unusual level of belief in their ability to perform. Maybe that's just what they exude. Maybe it's only observable because of their success. But the "All I See Is Gold" thing worked out great for JB. And I stand by my thoughts on Snyder from a few years ago, that he had no business going out there and beating the world...until he proved us all wrong! 

I'm pretty sure religious faith supports that greater than faith. I suspect that an atheist would be way to logical to beat someone who thinks it's their destiny. 

I have heard Nolf say on three occasions that he never thinks he will lose. That is some strong belief. 

• denger likes this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#15 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:24 AM

You can be atheist and believe in yourself.  In fact, atheists tend to believe in themselves over all else.

• jcjcjc likes this

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#16 BigBrog

BigBrog

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

It is called mental toughness.  It is really simple to see who has it and who doesn't, but really difficult to teach yourself to be mentally tough if you aren't naturally.

I had the physical and athletic and technical skill to be a multiple time state champ...but had the mental capacity of a nat...aka, no state titles...couldn't win the big matches...mentally folded.

• jchapman likes this

#17 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

It is called mental toughness.  It is really simple to see who has it and who doesn't, but really difficult to teach yourself to be mentally tough if you aren't naturally.

I had the physical and athletic and technical skill to be a multiple time state champ...but had the mental capacity of a nat...aka, no state titles...couldn't win the big matches...mentally folded.

I had the physical, athletic and technical skills to be a one time sectional qualifier.  

• krippler, TobusRex and denger like this

#18 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

How can you type all that without Jordan Burroughs, who has more clutch in his pinky toe than the rest of us have collectively?

#19 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

It is called mental toughness. It is really simple to see who has it and who doesn't, but really difficult to teach yourself to be mentally tough if you aren't naturally.

Sometimes mental toughness comes later.

#20 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

How can you type all that without Jordan Burroughs, who has more clutch in his pinky toe than the rest of us have collectively?

I've got belly lint that weighs more than Jordan Burroughs.

• Idaho and BigTenFanboy like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users