• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:43 AM

Guy I coached with has age related hearing loss and needs hearing aids. Because of his cauliflower ears, he cannot be fitted for the latest “high tech” model where the device is inserted into the ear canal. His comment to me was, “I wish I wore my headgear.”

I had a professor in college tell us that some day we will regret abusing our bodies when we were younger. Fellow was right.
  • MikePorcelli likes this

#2 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

Guy I coached with has age related hearing loss and needs hearing aids. Because of his cauliflower ears, he cannot be fitted for the latest “high tech” model where the device is inserted into the ear canal. His comment to me was, “I wish I wore my headgear.”

I had a professor in college tell us that some day we will regret abusing our bodies when we were younger. Fellow was right.

Has your friend checked into cochlear implants? I know an associate at work who was nearly deaf who got the implant and now he can hear everything. He hears a good deal better than I do now, in fact.

https://www.nidcd.ni...chlear-implants

Edited by TobusRex, 12 July 2018 - 12:59 AM.

#3 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:47 AM

Has your friend checked into cochlear implants? I know an associate at work who was nearly deaf who got the implant and now he can hear everything. He hears a good deal better than I do now, in fact.

https://www.nidcd.ni...chlear-implants

I don’t think his insurance company will pay. He has typical age related hearing loss. In the olden days, we would say, hard of hearing. Hearing aids will help at this time but I will send along your suggestion. Thx.

#4 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

He can try to be retro and bring back the ear trumpet.
  • BadgerMon, gowrestle, TobusRex and 1 other like this

#5 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

He can try to be retro and bring back the ear trumpet.

Those things are seriously cool. I'll use one when I get even older, crabbier, and harder of hearing. Just so I can say "eh" disproportionately loudly as I put it to my ear.

#6 Sheerstress

Sheerstress

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:57 AM

If he has any interest at all in it, plastic surgery might be an option to help fix his ears for the hearing aids.

#7 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:57 AM

Is your friend Jim Jordan? If so, I think he had trouble hearing even back in the '90s.

• TobusRex and Yellow_Medal like this

#8 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:58 AM

If he has any interest at all in it, plastic surgery might be an option to help fix his ears for the hearing aids.

That’s a good option but it would be considered elective surgery hence not covered by insurance.

#9 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

I am pleased to find that I largely regard my abuses of my body with the sort of indifference I'd anticipated.

#10 stp

stp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:12 AM

What?

• Buckeyebison likes this

#11 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:47 AM

I am pleased to find that I largely regard my abuses of my body with the sort of indifference I'd anticipated.

Obviously you are walking basically pain free, have approximately normal hearing, and don’t suffer from CTE. Glad to learn that the indiscretions of your youth have not yet come to haunt you. 😊

#12 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

If he has any interest at all in it, plastic surgery might be an option to help fix his ears for the hearing aids.I

I had my ears scooped after I was done competing. Pretty simple and recovery was quick.

#13 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

What is an ear scooping?

#14 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

I had my ears scooped after I was done competing. Pretty simple and recovery was quick.

Be great if you could share the details.

#15 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:42 AM

Now mine was relatively minor, I didn't have  potato ears, but I did have deformities. They cut the back of my ears, behind were the scar tissue was, and removed or "scooped" the scar tissue and deformed cartilage out. It was local anesthesia and only took about an hour each ear. The scars have faded and since they were behind my ear, you couldn't see them anyway.

Edited by HokieHWT, 15 July 2018 - 01:43 AM.

#16 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

https://www.myplasti...ear-repair.html

#17 npope

npope

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

My daughter (now 12) is bi-laterally (both ears) cochlear implanted - the system allows her to function normally. At the time (2007), the surgery cost $90,000 for each ear - and was covered by insurance. I would bet that elective surgery wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Nat Pope

#18 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:21 AM

What is an ear scooping?

When they dig the wax out of somebody's ears, maybe? I remember my nephew having a hard time hearing when he was a teenager. The doctor said his ears were completely PACKED with wax. Long gross story short, they dug the wax out and his ears were fine.

• Plasmodium likes this

#19 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

I hear fine now he said!!!

When I was in college, I was in a band and the drum cymbals did my left ear in.  It is noticeably weaker in hearing than my right ear.  

Coclear is good, but it is not cheap.  I'm not sure it is used for age related issues, more like damage to the inner ear.

mspart

#20 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

Obviously you are walking basically pain free, have approximately normal hearing, and don’t suffer from CTE. Glad to learn that the indiscretions of your youth have not yet come to haunt you. 😊

I have various injuries, though they could be worse.  As I see it, you have objectives, so you make tradeoffs and take risks.  Obviously it's good when you aren't unhappy with your decisions later.  When weighing it all, though, you should really keep in mind what you got, as well as what you gave up.

Gable's a lot worse off than I am, in terms of injuries.  I asked him once if it had been worth it.  He laughed and was clearly surprised by the question... of course it was.  I doubt he'd change his answer if he lost his legs tomorrow.  That doesn't make his answer right, or other people's wrong; we all just value different things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users