Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Hearing Aids

Guy I coached with has age related hearing loss and needs hearing aids. Because of his cauliflower ears, he cannot be fitted for the latest “high tech” model where the device is inserted into the ear canal. His comment to me was, “I wish I wore my headgear.”

I had a professor in college tell us that some day we will regret abusing our bodies when we were younger. Fellow was right.

Guy I coached with has age related hearing loss and needs hearing aids. Because of his cauliflower ears, he cannot be fitted for the latest “high tech” model where the device is inserted into the ear canal. His comment to me was, “I wish I wore my headgear.”

I had a professor in college tell us that some day we will regret abusing our bodies when we were younger. Fellow was right.

Has your friend checked into cochlear implants? I know an associate at work who was nearly deaf who got the implant and now he can hear everything. He hears a good deal better than I do now, in fact.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/cochlear-implants

Edited by TobusRex

Has your friend checked into cochlear implants? I know an associate at work who was nearly deaf who got the implant and now he can hear everything. He hears a good deal better than I do now, in fact.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/cochlear-implants

I don’t think his insurance company will pay. He has typical age related hearing loss. In the olden days, we would say, hard of hearing. Hearing aids will help at this time but I will send along your suggestion. Thx.

He can try to be retro and bring back the ear trumpet.

Those things are seriously cool. I'll use one when I get even older, crabbier, and harder of hearing. Just so I can say "eh" disproportionately loudly as I put it to my ear.

If he has any interest at all in it, plastic surgery might be an option to help fix his ears for the hearing aids.

That’s a good option but it would be considered elective surgery hence not covered by insurance.

I am pleased to find that I largely regard my abuses of my body with the sort of indifference I'd anticipated.

Obviously you are walking basically pain free, have approximately normal hearing, and don’t suffer from CTE. Glad to learn that the indiscretions of your youth have not yet come to haunt you. 😊

If he has any interest at all in it, plastic surgery might be an option to help fix his ears for the hearing aids.I

I had my ears scooped after I was done competing. Pretty simple and recovery was quick.

Now mine was relatively minor, I didn't have  potato ears, but I did have deformities. They cut the back of my ears, behind were the scar tissue was, and removed or "scooped" the scar tissue and deformed cartilage out. It was local anesthesia and only took about an hour each ear. The scars have faded and since they were behind my ear, you couldn't see them anyway.

Edited by HokieHWT

My daughter (now 12) is bi-laterally (both ears) cochlear implanted - the system allows her to function normally. At the time (2007), the surgery cost $90,000 for each ear - and was covered by insurance. I would bet that elective surgery wouldn't be covered by insurance.

What is an ear scooping?

When they dig the wax out of somebody's ears, maybe? I remember my nephew having a hard time hearing when he was a teenager. The doctor said his ears were completely PACKED with wax. Long gross story short, they dug the wax out and his ears were fine.

I hear fine now he said!!!

When I was in college, I was in a band and the drum cymbals did my left ear in.  It is noticeably weaker in hearing than my right ear.  

Coclear is good, but it is not cheap.  I'm not sure it is used for age related issues, more like damage to the inner ear.

mspart

Obviously you are walking basically pain free, have approximately normal hearing, and don’t suffer from CTE. Glad to learn that the indiscretions of your youth have not yet come to haunt you. 😊

I have various injuries, though they could be worse.  As I see it, you have objectives, so you make tradeoffs and take risks.  Obviously it's good when you aren't unhappy with your decisions later.  When weighing it all, though, you should really keep in mind what you got, as well as what you gave up.

Gable's a lot worse off than I am, in terms of injuries.  I asked him once if it had been worth it.  He laughed and was clearly surprised by the question... of course it was.  I doubt he'd change his answer if he lost his legs tomorrow.  That doesn't make his answer right, or other people's wrong; we all just value different things.

I have various injuries, though they could be worse. As I see it, you have objectives, so you make tradeoffs and take risks. Obviously it's good when you aren't unhappy with your decisions later. When weighing it all, though, you should really keep in mind what you got, as well as what you gave up.

Gable's a lot worse off than I am, in terms of injuries. I asked him once if it had been worth it. He laughed and was clearly surprised by the question... of course it was. I doubt he'd change his answer if he lost his legs tomorrow. That doesn't make his answer right, or other people's wrong; we all just value different things.

Earl Campbell has been confined to a wheelchair for some time now. He has been asked if the fame and fortune of football was worth it. Campbell has always said yes. It’s almost a silly question because his answer, like Gable’s is what most would expect. I believe deep in their hearts both Dan & Earl would trade some notoriety and a few championships for the ability to move relatively pain free now.

Edited by gowrestle

Earl Campbell has been confined to a wheelchair for some time now. He has been asked if the fame and fortune of football was worth it. Campbell has always said yes. It’s almost a silly question because his answer, like Gable’s is what most would expect. I believe deep in their hearts both Dan & Earl would trade some notoriety and a few championships for the ability to move relatively pain free now.

I don't know Earl Campbell, or of him, so I can't say on that account.  As far as Gable:  I have every reason to take what he says at face value; frankly, I think he'd probably take that trade in the opposite direction.

And again, I don't want to belittle anyone's priorities.  I think Gable's choices were good, because they suited him; they'd be terrible choices for someone else.  People genuinely value different things.

As I see it:  it's just my body.  I ride around in this thing.  I like it when it works well, and I enjoy playing with it.  But it's not me.  It does communicate with me, and of course there are levels of pain I could not endure, but avoiding pain still ranks low on my priority list.  I'd take it over an equivalent dose of emotional distress any day.

I don't know Earl Campbell, or of him, so I can't say on that account. As far as Gable: I have every reason to take what he says at face value; frankly, I think he'd probably take that trade in the opposite direction.

And again, I don't want to belittle anyone's priorities. I think Gable's choices were good, because they suited him; they'd be terrible choices for someone else. People genuinely value different things.

As I see it: it's just my body. I ride around in this thing. I like it when it works well, and I enjoy playing with it. But it's not me. It does communicate with me, and of course there are levels of pain I could not endure, but avoiding pain still ranks low on my priority list. I'd take it over an equivalent dose of emotional distress any day.

Well said.....

Consider what Earl would've been if it wasn't for football and his athletic prowess. He came from a poor, large family. If it wasn't for football Earl Campbell likely would be living in poverty in Tyler, Texas right now. Earl is a wealthy man now. So what people are REALLY asking Earl is this: would he rather be famous, a sport's hero to millions, and wealthy , while being physically incapacitated, or if he'd rather be poor and unknown, maybe even in prison (Earl said he was a thug when he was a kid).

Consider what Earl would've been if it wasn't for football and his athletic prowess. He came from a poor, large family. If it wasn't for football Earl Campbell likely would be living in poverty in Tyler, Texas right now. Earl is a wealthy man now. So what people are REALLY asking Earl is this: would he rather be famous, a sport's hero to millions, and wealthy , while being physically incapacitated, or if he'd rather be poor and unknown, maybe even in prison (Earl said he was a thug when he was a kid).

Interesting but I’d prefer hearing Campbell’s thoughts.