im confused.

I thought that real wrestling was freco.

many on these boards proclaim it superior frequently.

yet,

I see no discussion of our young up and comers.

Edited by GockeS

Not sure what you're expecting.  The Cadet and Junior WTT are more interesting IMO. 

Anyway, here are a few random observations re: Juniors:

1) Depth of the field overall seems a bit weak.

2) Decatur and D'Emilio could meet in the final.  Both are headed to Ohio State next year and are ranked 5th and 26th by Flo, respectively. 

3) 170 is an interesting weight.  Kharchla / Wittlake up top and Plott / Starocci on the bottom.  Plott is #2 class of 2020, Starocci and Kharchla are #6 and #24 in the class of 2019, respectively.  All of these guys remain uncommitted, with the exception of Wittlake obviously.  

4) Cassioppi and Parris are about to meet in the semis, which should be pretty entertaining.  We're going to see this matchup often over the next 5 years.

5) A number of high seeds have been knocked off... Artalona, Schwartz, McKee (his stock has taken quite the hit over the past 18 months, huh?)

Have you seen the activity on the High School board?  That age level and not a tournament that is truly affiliated with the International system.  Of course there is nearly nothing on here................

nothing there either.

but this is the international 'style' forum.

Edited by GockeS

Not sure what you're expecting.  The Cadet and Junior WTT are more interesting IMO. 

Anyway, here are a few random observations re: Juniors:

1) Depth of the field overall seems a bit weak.

2) Decatur and D'Emilio could meet in the final.  Both are headed to Ohio State next year and are ranked 5th and 26th by Flo, respectively. 

3) 170 is an interesting weight.  Kharchla / Wittlake up top and Plott / Starocci on the bottom.  Plott is #2 class of 2020, Starocci and Kharchla are #6 and #24 in the class of 2019, respectively.  All of these guys remain uncommitted, with the exception of Wittlake obviously.  

4) Cassioppi and Parris are about to meet in the semis, which should be pretty entertaining.  We're going to see this matchup often over the next 5 years.

5) A number of high seeds have been knocked off... Artalona, Schwartz, McKee (his stock has taken quite the hit over the past 18 months, huh?)

I agree with everything here.

however, there is NEVER much talk on here about fargo.. weak field or not.

Cassioppa’s size and freestyle experience gave him a clear advantage over Parris in their semi.

I think Cassioppi is underrated. Outside of Gable and losing to Schultz in Greco, he has been seriously dominant at the high school levels. Wrestles everywhere. He’s going to be a good one for Iowa.

I think Cassioppi is underrated. Outside of Gable and losing to Schultz in Greco, he has been seriously dominant at the high school levels. Wrestles everywhere. He’s going to be a good one for Iowa.

Cass definitely showed Parris today that you can’t get away with being a novice level freestyler when you are against a well versed veteran of the game. 2-2 match in folk match with Cass winning out on the size war, that he turned into a 12-2 Freestyle tech. The future Hawkeye has definitely been putting in the mat time against toug guys over the last year to get prepared for the Big10 gauntlet to come. Edited by MadMardigain

Cass definitely showed Parris today that you can’t get away with being a novice level freestyler when you are against a well versed veteran of the game. 2-2 match in folk match with Cass winning out on the size war, that he turned into a 12-2 Freestyle tech. The future Hawkeye has definitely been putting in the mat time against toug guys over the last year to get prepared for the Big10 gauntlet to come.

Hard to say that was a 2-2 match in folk. It ended early. Cass was in clear control and would be in folkstyle aswell imo Edited by WildTurkey44

Anybody in the know, as to the age of the kid that took second at 182 poundds?? (Nathan Haas) Looking at his profile he looks to be extremely young for his grade. My spidey sense is tingling.

Rising jr. born March 02. Spot on age/grade

Hard to say that was a 2-2 match in folk. It ended early. Cass was in clear control and would be in folkstyle aswell imo

No I was saying it was a 2-2 folkstyle score from what we have. Would it have been the same after 6 min. who knows, but they both only scored 1 takedown in folkstyle from the footage. Cass scores the majority of his points on freestyle moves that may not have resulted in any actual folkstyle related score. With Parris having very little freestyle experience over last several years it not hard to tell Cass should have the advantage in those positions. Cass’s use of his size definitely gave Parris fits with his go to high crotch/dump takedown, something Mason will need to adjust to with moving up to face athletic HWT’s.

Fargo isn't close what it used to be and is irrelevant for international wrestling. It's like complaining why nobody talks about NAIA on the college wrestling forum. Cadet/Junior trials and worlds are discussed here plenty.

I tend to agree. It’s not even remotely close to what is used to be, in terms of quality and depth.

Maybe the expense of travel? For whatever reason, it simply doesn’t have the same quality.

No I was saying it was a 2-2 folkstyle score from what we have. Would it have been the same after 6 min. who knows, but they both only scored 1 takedown in folkstyle from the footage. Cass scores the majority of his points on freestyle moves that may not have resulted in any actual folkstyle related score. With Parris having very little freestyle experience over last several years it not hard to tell Cass should have the advantage in those positions. Cass’s use of his size definitely gave Parris fits with his go to high crotch/dump takedown, something Mason will need to adjust to with moving up to face athletic HWT’s.

But not really 2-2. Cass hit two guts after his first takedown and they were brought back to their feet. Doesn’t happen in folkstyle. Tactics on the mat are entirely different. Maybe Cass turns and pins him. Maybe Parris hits a reversal to Cass’s back.

What we have is Big Cass opening up a can of whoop ass on Parris with the agreed upon rule set for that match.

But for the record, I see Cass by 5 or 6 in folkstyle. That size and athleticism will wear Parris out in folkstyle.

Edited by wrestlingphish

I've been impressed with Cassioppi, he's going to be good.  Might even snag a title while Gable takes an ORS.  

Not a huge fan of what I've seen of his attitude, but he'll fit in where he's headed. 

Cassioppi is a good kid and loves to wrestle. I have had a few conversations with him and he is level headed and down to Earth.