Two reasons people skip Fargo/Freco:

1) Many of the top high school programs are wrestling folk year round.

2) Politics have corrupted some state organizations. It has become all about the money.

Both of these play on the other.

Year round folk??  Oh no!   Now we'll never get good at freestyle on the senior level!

Oh wait, we're the world champions in senor, junior, and runner ups in cadet...

Thoughts on Sage Mortimer wrestling Junior's Greco and placing 7th at 100lbs?

Only 11 competitors in the group so not the gauntlet of other weights. But still she still had to win two matches in that group to place 7th, so good for her. She also won thw first women’s national title in Utah. Edited by MadMardigain

Year round folk?? Oh no! Now we'll never get good at freestyle on the senior level!

Oh wait, we're the world champions in senor, junior, and runner ups in cadet...

Yes, but none of these guys and gals wrestle year round folk, thankfully.

It's great to see so many different areas of the country represented too.

It's a great time for USA Wrestling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, but none of these guys and gals wrestle year round folk, thankfully.

It's great to see so many different areas of the country represented too.

It's a great time for USA Wrestling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That makes sense.    Folk when it's part of the training and not the only training has allowed our freestyle team to rise to #1 in the world at nearly all levels.   And some want to do away with it despite the results.   

I really don’t think the folkstyle training is the reason we’ve won team titles this past year. If it were, we’d probably had won at a more frequent clip than once every couple decades. The biggest impact in our rise to #1 has been the RTC system, which is focused on the Olympic styles, and the influence that has had in the college rooms.

Edited by Lurker

Only 11 competitors in the group so not the gauntlet of other weights. But still she still had to win two matches in that group to place 7th, so good for her. She also won thw first women’s national title in Utah.

She ran through three tournaments, quite an accomplishment in and of itself, which ended with a stop sign at age group, a silver when she bumped to juniors, and a 7th in mixed gender juniors. Extremely impressive weekend that should not be watered down because of fewer competitors at her weight for her final tournament, which could be considered her most impressive feat by some.

She ran through three tournaments, quite an accomplishment in and of itself, which ended with a stop sign at age group, a silver when she bumped to juniors, and a 7th in mixed gender juniors. Extremely impressive weekend that should not be watered down because of fewer competitors at her weight for her final tournament, which could be considered her most impressive feat by some.

She also placed 4th in state in Utah as a freshman. Pretty impressive.

I really don’t think the folkstyle training is the reason we’ve won team titles this past year. If it were, we’d probably had won at a more frequent clip than once every couple decades. The biggest impact in our rise to #1 has been the RTC system, which is focused on the Olympic styles, and the influence that has had in the college rooms.

i think the biggest influence has been money.

and the RTC provides some of that i think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Yl5Tst1EM

Kharchla’s dad talks about his training philosophy.

This guy is a treasure.  His camps are the absolute best--be prepared to be pushed.  No 2-hour live sessions with 200 kids on the mat--a ton of intensive technique with strict personal attention to detail.  You have a young son or daughter and want them to experience a life-changing opportunity, send them to a Miron camp.

Sure, I'd absolutely agree the #1 reason USA has improved is due to a freestyle focus in training.  I also credit living the dream with our best guys sticking around because they can now afford it.   Clubs also help out.     I also STRONGLY believe the folk season allows eventual world level freestylers  the opportunity to take a break from freestyle while they focus on folk.  The American folk culture then works its magic of building that wrestler into a hard nosed, battle tested, winner.  When freetyle season rolls back around, the wrestler is mentally ready for a change and he gets one.  His freestyle focus is improved and enhanced due to having had little or no freestyle the passed few months.     Remove folk and I would expect the results on the world level in freestyle to dip.   

Anybody in the know, as to the age of the kid that took second at 182 pounds?? (Nathan Haas) Looking at his profile he looks to be extremely young for his grade. My spidey sense is tingling.

Sure, I'd absolutely agree the #1 reason USA has improved is due to a freestyle focus in training. I also credit living the dream with our best guys sticking around because they can now afford it. Clubs also help out. I also STRONGLY believe the folk season allows eventual world level freestylers the opportunity to take a break from freestyle while they focus on folk. The American folk culture then works its magic of building that wrestler into a hard nosed, battle tested, winner. When freetyle season rolls back around, the wrestler is mentally ready for a change and he gets one. His freestyle focus is improved and enhanced due to having had little or no freestyle the passed few months. Remove folk and I would expect the results on the world level in freestyle to dip.

Respectfully but completely disagree with the last part of your post. On a couple fronts. First, I don’t know of any other sport where the worlds best take an 6-8 (August/September-February/March) month break from the discipline to focus on another discipline. That is what you are saying, and it’s just simply not the case in any other sport, nor in any of the countries that regularly finish ahead of us in this sport. Secondly, being hard nosed and battle tested is one of our characteristics for sure, but it keeps us in the game. At the end of the day in the big picture it’s technique and tactics that win. I’ll repeat what I said previously, if it was the folkstyle influence that put us over the top this past year, it wouldn’t be so rare that it happened for the first time in twenty two years. What has changed in the recent past that leads to the success at all levels in the past 15 months? Certainly not a national focus on folkstyle. It’s been the RTC system that provides the opportunities to train full time AND brings influence of the international styles in the college rooms. That is evidenced by a couple of things. First, the 1995 senior team had a ton more freestyle experience than last years team. Last year we had three first timers, and JB was the most experienced with 7 world teams made. In 95, there was not one first timer, and three athletes had more experience than JB. On average the 95 athletes had made 5.3 teams, ‘17 average was 2.5. So, was there not folkstyle in 95? The difference is exposure to the international styles. Which the RTC’s provide more of, and regular exposure earlier in their careers, directly in the college rooms. Add to that the recent trends of Olympic champions (Slay and now KJ) working our developmental program, and you see or recent success. Folkstyle has always been there. Winning team world titles is a rare event for us. If folkstyle focus has such an impact on recent results, those results would be more regular.

Respectfully but completely disagree with the last part of your post. On a couple fronts. First, I don’t know of any other sport where the worlds best take an 6-8 (August/September-February/March) month break from the discipline to focus on another discipline. That is what you are saying, and it’s just simply not the case in any other sport, nor in any of the countries that regularly finish ahead of us in this sport. Secondly, being hard nosed and battle tested is one of our characteristics for sure, but it keeps us in the game. At the end of the day in the big picture it’s technique and tactics that win. I’ll repeat what I said previously, if it was the folkstyle influence that put us over the top this past year, it wouldn’t be so rare that it happened for the first time in twenty two years. What has changed in the recent past that leads to the success at all levels in the past 15 months? Certainly not a national focus on folkstyle. It’s been the RTC system that provides the opportunities to train full time AND brings influence of the international styles in the college rooms. That is evidenced by a couple of things. First, the 1995 senior team had a ton more freestyle experience than last years team. Last year we had three first timers, and JB was the most experienced with 7 world teams made. In 95, there was not one first timer, and three athletes had more experience than JB. On average the 95 athletes had made 5.3 teams, ‘17 average was 2.5. So, was there not folkstyle in 95? The difference is exposure to the international styles. Which the RTC’s provide more of, and regular exposure earlier in their careers, directly in the college rooms. Add to that the recent trends of Olympic champions (Slay and now KJ) working our developmental program, and you see or recent success. Folkstyle has always been there. Winning team world titles is a rare event for us. If folkstyle focus has such an impact on recent results, those results would be more regular.

You have piqued my curiosity - Dave S & Big Bruce both had more FS experience than JB does now, which is impressive.  Who was the 3rd member of that team who had as much FS experience as JB?  I know both KJ and M Douglas were about the same age as JB but they certainly didn't have an equal level of FS experience? 

Yes it is. Unfortunately though, not one medal.

Interesting stat!

I think that is far less likely today. With the right draw, almost anyone who makes a US team can medal. Over 9 tries you are bound to get a solid draw. Not to mention, I’d you make the US world team 9 times, you are damn good.

Not bashing Gilman or Cox, as I’m a fan of both, but they both had dream draws last year. There were probably 3 Americans in each of their weights that would’ve medaled with those draws.

Respectfully but completely disagree with the first  part of your post.    

What other sport are we the reigning world champs?       

baseball as well...

and any other sport or event that americans participated in that have a world championship yearly... those would include track and fields sports... all sorts of winter sports... and surely hundreds more than i am unaware of...

it is patently ridiculous to claim that participating in another sport for the majority of your time will make you better in another sport than if you devoted full time to latter...

Respectfully but completely disagree with the first part of your post.

What other sport are we the reigning world champs?

I don’t know off of the top of my head and won’t be able to look it up for a bit, but I will. In the meantime I’ll throw a few Olympic sports out there where I am guessing we are among the top two or three teams in the world MUCH MORE regularly than wrestling:

Basketball

Swimming

Gymnastics

Volleyball

Track and field

Like I said I don’t know for sure so I will look it up when I have time later this evening. But you honestly can’t think wrestling is the only sport we are currently top in the world. And you can’t think our one in 22 years ratio is the best among American Olympic sports??