Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Hawkeye Strenth and Cond Coach Still Open $40k a year

Amigos that strenth and conditioning coach openings still open and its time for Tommy to grow a pair and buttonhole Barta and tell him gent you got that $30 M a  year coming from the B1G each and every year nows time to share the wealth hombre sweeten that $40k a year offer to $140K and go get Jaden Cox from Mizzou you get a gent what can wrestle won hisself the bronze in the Olys a reel name what can bring some recruits and teach them upper weights to wrestle and put your program on the map again instead of in the wings crying like a little ***** and talking about wait for next year Tommy them young freshman was in 2nd grade playing with there power rangers the last time you was in the money and it dont look like much is changing take a good long look at Dwayne Goldman and decide if thats your future because its a getting it done type of career and you aint getting it done.

Amigos that strenth and conditioning coach openings still open and its time for Tommy to grow a pair and buttonhole Barta and tell him gent you got that $30 M a  year coming from the B1G each and every year nows time to share the wealth hombre sweeten that $40k a year offer to $140K and go get Jaden Cox from Mizzou you get a gent what can wrestle won hisself the bronze in the Olys a reel name what can bring some recruits and teach them upper weights to wrestle and put your program on the map again instead of in the wings crying like a little ***** and talking about wait for next year Tommy them young freshman was in 2nd grade playing with there power rangers the last time you was in the money and it dont look like much is changing take a good long look at Dwayne Goldman and decide if thats your future because its a getting it done type of career and you aint getting it done.

Nothing at all against Jaden Cox but why on God's green earth would you hire him as a strength & conditioning coach.  What is his experience level at being a top flight strength & conditioning coach?  On a chart of the top 10 college strength & conditioning coaches with Scott Cochran (University of Alabama) being at the top would any of the current wrestling strength & conditioning coaches  even rank in the Top 10?  My guess is NO due to wrestling coaches trying to hire a wrestling guy that knows little if anything about strength & conditioning other that what they did as student athletes.  Everyone should know that Scott Cochran probably makes more than the Iowa AD but I would begin by talking with Scott and looking at one of his assistant coaches.  Training wrestlers and DB's would be very similar in that both need to be quick and have explosive power.

Edited by cbg

If I were still competing, I would much rather hear what 3x NCAA  champ and world bronze medalist Jden Cox has to say on strength and conditioning training than someone who has a shiny masters degree from wherever/Univ. and has never had any success in wrestling and possibly never even wrestled. 

Champions generally had great coaching and training and have a pretty good idea on what it took to win.  

If I were still competing, I would much rather hear what 3x NCAA  champ and world bronze medalist Jden Cox has to say on strength and conditioning training than someone who has a shiny masters degree from wherever/Univ. and has never had any success in wrestling and possibly never even wrestled. 

Champions generally had great coaching and training and have a pretty good idea on what it took to win.

yeah, but even if jden had great coaching and training, can he still put a program together for a 30-40 man team with different needs? Jden is a stud and super talented, but he also may be a bronze medalist in spite of his weight training and not because of his weight training. You dont know that. Even if he did have a great strength program, I am sure it was coached by a certified strength coach.

I think as an athlete I would have felt the same way. Fill this position with a great wrestler. Anyone can figure out sets and reps. Now that I am a little older I don't feel the same.

I have a buddy who heads a college S&C program and about two years ago(In my old age) I pulled a hamstring doing some sprints so bad I could hardly walk. My buddy was able to put together a program of active movements for me to get back to doing full sprints in just a week. I don't think someone without that knowledge would have been able to do that for me.

It would be great to have someone like Jden in there but I Iowa shouldnt throw their S&C to the wayside. It's too important for athletic performance, weight management and injury prevention.

You may think little of that masters degree, but these strength coaches have a greater understanding of how to get the body to work optimally. Plus I believe that the Ncaa has requirements for certifications for strength coaches.

Somewhat related, Flo did a video walking around touring Wisconsin with Bono the other week.  Around the 10-11 minute mark, they talk with their nutritionist.  Amazing that they have different foods packed for different guys, depending on their time from weighing in to actually wrestling.  They definitely look at every detail they can.

I'd much rather have someone that has experience with creating programs for athletes to help with their specific needs. Having training and experience is way more valuable than being a current or former elite athlete. Wrestling people need to get it out of their head that elite athletes are the only ones they can take instruction from. 

Who are three of the top wrestling coaches that the NCAA has seen in the last 30 years.  Arguably Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, and John Smith. 

Hmmm, what do they have in common as competitors?

I don't recall anyone saying that wrestlers should ONLY listen to elite athletes, but if I have the choice of listening to someone who succeeded at the top level in wrestling and someone who has a pocket full of certificates, I'll go with the former.  

Who are three of the top wrestling coaches that the NCAA has seen in the last 30 years. Arguably Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, and John Smith.

I don't recall anyone saying that wrestlers should ONLY listen to elite athletes, but if I have the choice of listening to someone who succeeded at the top level in wrestling and someone who has a pocket full of certificates, I'll go with the former.

Sanderson Gable and Smith didn't succeed in the highest level of programming and weight training, and they are even smart enough to delegate that job to someone who knows what they are doing.

Smith, Gable, and Sandersons success doesn't prove that a wrestler who wrestled at the highest level is the best coach. It further perpetuates top talents need to get instruction from top athletes. J rob and pat pop have shown it does not have to be that way.

Edited by russelscout

Given the improvements that seemed evident to me when Rutt joined the program, who had specialized training and degrees in the field, I'd prefer a dedicated S & C guy to just a great wrestler.

You don't have to worry about Rutt being a "great wrestler" :D

Smith, Gable, and Sandersons success doesn't prove that a wrestler who wrestled at the highest level is the best coach. It further perpetuates top talents need to get instruction from top athletes. J rob and pat pop have shown it does not have to be that way.

Hahaha. Yep, no proof at all. Pure coincidence. 

Also, you do realize that Jay Robinson made two world teams and was on our 1972 Olympic team, right. 

I'm not so sure I swallow that "top talents need to get instruction from top athletes" bit, either.

Edited by TobusRex

I agree an experienced and credentialed strength coach would do better with the strength and conditioning of the team than an elite wrestler without those skills. However, someone like J'Den Cox could add a lot more to the program. The biggest thing would be recruiting... Big names = big recruits. Recruiting is the single most important ingredient to a teams success. Strength training is important but not even close to recruiting, technique, and the mental aspect. Cox could provide all of the latter. 

Hahaha. Yep, no proof at all. Pure coincidence.

Also, you do realize that Jay Robinson made two world teams and was on our 1972 Olympic team, right.

No, not a coincidence.(do you know what coincidence means?) I directly followed up my statement that it's not proof they are better coaches with the fact that all the best talent go to these coaches almost immediately after they become coaches. Im suggesting that athletes, parents, everyone worship the the coaches who were the very best athletes although others have shown you don't need to be an Olympic champ to coach NCs.

Yes, I am aware that J rob made some Greco world teams. Two on one, do you really think that's the same thing?

Edited by russelscout

If it ain't Cael - it ain't Coaching!

Who are three of the top wrestling coaches that the NCAA has seen in the last 30 years.  Arguably Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, and John Smith. 

Here is a list of 3x and one 4x champ....how come these guys aren't the best coaches in the country right up there with Smith, Gable, and Sanderson? Only two of them have coached a DI championship.

Tom Brands (Iowa)  1990-1992
Barry Davis (Iowa)  1982-1983, 1985
Jim Zalesky (Iowa)  1982-1984

Pat Smith (Oklahoma State) 1990-1992, 1994
Jake Rosholt (Oklahoma State) 2003, 2005-2006
Greg Jones (West Virginia) 2002, 2004-2005
Stephen Abas (Fresno State)  1999, 2001-2002
Eric Guerrero (Oklahoma State) 1997-1999
Joe Williams (Iowa) 1996-1998
Lincoln McIlravy (Iowa) 1993-1994, 1997
TJ Jaworsky (North Carolina) 1993-1995
Carlton Haselrig (Pittsburgh-Johnstown)  1987-1989