Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Wow- Breaking News

Assuming the decision hasn't already been made, it sounds like the biggest factor is his freestyle aspirations. Perhaps another factor is scholarship $, but who knows. For the sake of discussion... this is how I see it:

Oklahoma State -- Think we can just throw them out. Re-opening your commitment just to go back would be strange, not to mention they're (arguably) the worst of the four in terms of freestyle training environment. John Smith is John Smith... but that's really all they have going for them.

Nebraska -- Not sure of the scholarship $$$ situation for any of these schools... I'd guess all of them can cobble together an attractive offer one way or another. In terms of NCAA lineups, Nebraska would be the path of least resistance. They have a proven track record of success internationally with Burroughs and Green, not so much at the upper weights though. Is Dom Bradley training at Nebraska RTC? Maybe not the exact right fit training partner-wise.

Ohio State -- IMO the best fit for freestyle training. All four of these programs have tremendous coaches, but only one of them has Snyder. Based on his style, I could see Tervel being a huge asset to his development. He'd also have a group of young talented training partners in Myles and Moore. On the other hand, have to assume he (likely) supplants a top 10 RS FR recruit with good promise in Singletary. Who knows if Kerkvliet is willing to redshirt, or if the Ohio State coaching staff would be willing to make that move.

Penn State -- Can't go wrong here either. DT, Cael, Varner... plenty of $$$ and a clear post-grad path for freestyle competition. And who wouldn't want to wrestle for PSU? I'm sure he likes fun. On the other hand, he forces out Nevills. That could be... awkward. Both Ohio State and Penn State have done it before.

He'll succeed wherever he goes. Our future is exceedingly bright at 125kg, and NCAA heavyweight is shaping up to be one of the most exciting weight classes for a change (at least for the next 5 years).

Didn’t his quote say “it’s more than just my 5 years of wrestling in college”? I could be wrong but I’d assume that means he’s planning to redshirt.

Didn’t his quote say “it’s more than just my 5 years of wrestling in college”? I could be wrong but I’d assume that means he’s planning to redshirt.

Good point.  Still, seems doubtful Nevills would want to stay on the same roster knowing there is a guy waiting to take his spot after 1 year. 

So.... Kerkvliet?

I can see him at Nebraska.  UNL needs consistency at HWT.   They have a good transfer coming in and 2 other HWTs,  so I think they bring him in and RS him in 19-20 season to add good weight to him, and then he starts 4 years for the Huskers and trains with Green, Burroughs, and Dom Bradley along with having Manning as a coach.  

I can see him at Nebraska.  UNL needs consistency at HWT.   They have a good transfer coming in and 2 other HWTs,  so I think they bring him in and RS him in 19-20 season to add good weight to him, and then he starts 4 years for the Huskers and trains with Green, Burroughs, and Dom Bradley along with having Manning as a coach.  

They just brought in Austin Emerson, 2x MI State Finalist and last year's champ, alson won Senior Nationals and just took 5th in Free(losing only to Parris 2xs) and 2nd in Greco(losing to Cass) at Fargo.  That gave him 6 AA finishes in total there.

I get that Kerkvliet is a guy you go after if you can, but they DO have a strong recruit already rostered.

So is it the official stance of the PSU sheep that Cael doesn't recruit kids after they are committed or that he can do it because other people probably do it to?

So Carl goes to RTC to work out and recruit the kid after he's committed elsewhere.

Basically sizing the kid up vs incoming recruit Nevliss.

Unreal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So Carl goes to RTC to work out and recruit the kid after he's committed elsewhere.

Unreal.

Interesting sporting dynamics - where else can a collegiate head coach actually "get on the field/court" with a recruit and use that interaction as a recruiting tool?

Interesting sporting dynamics - where else can a collegiate head coach actually "get on the field/court" with a recruit and use that interaction as a recruiting tool?

I hear coach K does this.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I hear coach K does this.  

I'm 62 and 5'6" and even I could go downtown on Coach K these days ; ) Just saying that actually rolling with a kid is a lot like puttin' on the gloves and going a few rounds.

Edited by npope

Unreal.

Would be funny if one of those kids cleaned Cael's clock.

Big pickup for Cael in Happy Valley. Hard to fathom

"The reasons I opened my commitment back up are because I am looking for the right fit for me, all of them are great schools not just in their wrestling programs, but academically as well. I am looking for the best environment where I can make a long-term commitment, much longer than just the five years I will be wrestling in college."

Shouldn't it be more like "Big pickup for Tom in Columbus. Easy to fathom"?

"The reasons I opened my commitment back up are because I am looking for the right fit for me, all of them are great schools not just in their wrestling programs, but academically as well. I am looking for the best environment where I can make a long-term commitment, much longer than just the five years I will be wrestling in college."

Shouldn't it be more like "Big pickup for Tom in Columbus. Easy to fathom"?

I’m a tOSU fan but I’d be shocked. All signs point to PSU at the moment.

PSU, for all of its strengths, isn’t as good in freestyle at the higher weights. I know they have Varner and Cael plus other solid guys, but even that isn’t as good as Snyder, Tervel and the other guys. Keep in mind the Ohio RTC loves bringing in international guys too.

I hope Kerklevit and Gable train together frequently in the summers