Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Old Interesting Article on the Schultz Murder as it related to the 1996 Olympic Trials

I was doing some research on Royce Alger and came across this piece. I don’t want to ruin it, but in short, it discusses the wrestling trials post Schultz murder and whether people would still take DuPont’s money.

Very interesting glimpse into the past

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-06-11/sports/9606110207_1_john-du-pont-dave-schultz-brian-dolph

I would be interested to see this topic covered again. I wonder what T & T and Alger would say now, along the people on the other side. This article was written with the Olympics just 1 month away. Probably hard to have perspective with such a big event and a life goal right in front of you.

At the same time, to throw shade at those who took money seems hypocritical when the people criticizing continually enabled DuPont and took his money for years fully knowing he wasn't mentally fit and had a drug problem.

Edited by russelscout

At the same time, to throw shade at those who took money seems hypocritical when the people criticizing continually enabled DuPont and took his money for years fully knowing he wasn't mentally fit and had a drug problem.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I see a huge difference between Dupont being super weird, even creepy and him being a cold blooded murderer. 

To me, that trials episode showed me everything I needed to know about the Brands, and nothing since then (VT, ramos situation, etc.) has made me think any different, not that he cares what I think.  Regardless, the move was classless at best, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I see a huge difference between Dupont being super weird, even creepy and him being a cold blooded murderer. 

To me, that trials episode showed me everything I needed to know about the Brands, and nothing since then (VT, ramos situation, etc.) has made me think any different, not that he cares what I think.  Regardless, the move was classless at best, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

It was beyond super weird and creepy. He was accused of sexual advances against metzger and then fired him when he didn't allow it. It was widely known that John had a drug problem and later having hallucinations. Yet everyone seemed to be OK with it bc of money. Not just that, he was pretty much the face of USA wrestling and people enabled it all without question. There are the veterans matches that were thrown to him and everyone went along. On the farm he is being called coach? What mentally stable person who has zero history in the sport as an athlete or coach thinks he can coach Olympic level athletes? But everyone is cool with that because of money. Honestly, you watch the documentary and one wrestlersays something like,"we thought we were helping him." Well why? Because you care? No, because if you do then you get money. The guy didn't have a friend in the world. I doubt that guy is making friends with poor mentally ill people. As terrible of a person that John Dupont is, and I truly believe he is, the wrestling community at the time seems guilty for engaging with someone who was obviously very sick, just for money.

It was beyond super weird and creepy. He was accused of sexual advances against metzger and then fired him when he didn't allow it. It was widely known that John had a drug problem and later having hallucinations. Yet everyone seemed to be OK with it bc of money. Not just that, he was pretty much the face of USA wrestling and people enabled it all without question. There are the veterans matches that were thrown to him and everyone went along. On the farm he is being called coach? What mentally stable person who has zero history in the sport as an athlete or coach thinks he can coach Olympic level athletes? But everyone is cool with that because of money. Honestly, you watch the documentary and one wrestlersays something like,"we thought we were helping him." Well why? Because you care? No, because if you do then you get money. The guy didn't have a friend in the world. I doubt that guy is making friends with poor mentally ill people. As terrible of a person that John Dupont is, and I truly believe he is, the wrestling community at the time seems guilty for engaging with someone who was obviously very sick, just for money.

Dupont then and Trump now.

Holy crap...of course it was all about the money...however, only up to the point when DuPont murder one of the all time greats.  Then it shouldn't be about any money and all about DuPont getting what he deserved.  To blame all the wrestlers who trained at the DuPont estate or received money from DuPont up to the point Dave was murdered is completely asinine and ridiculous.  However, to judge those who continued to receive money after the murder, that is completely understandable as I am not sure how anyone in their right conscience could do that.

I was pretty disgusted to see DuPont "winning" the Sr World Championship, or whatever that pathetic put on was. Reminded me of that match the severely handicapped/retarded kid "won" against the real wrestler.  It's time to stop pandering to rich buffoons because they have money.

I've heard most of the wrestlers didn't take DuPont seriously and considered him a crackpot weirdo, and that they freely mocked him when he wasn't around.

Edited by TobusRex