Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

States using different weight classes than NFHS

wyoming is not the outlier here.  the number of forfeits in many states is excessive, reducing many dual meets to a small handful of actual matches, with many contested bouts being mismatches due to the fact that teams are having to insert JV/brand new kids into their varsity line-up because they have no other bodies for those weights.  A roster of 15-20 can't adequately fill 14 (or in most cases, even 12 or 13) weight classes.  look at box scores from almost any state...not only will you see plenty of forfeits, but you will notice that far too many team scores add up to a number pretty close to 84, with very few 34-29 matches.  11 weight classes would be plenty, allowing a limited number of 2nd entries at tournaments and in post-season.  or we could increase to 28, so everyone gets a varsity letter and medal at all tournaments.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/2a89f3dc-f8e9-57db-ad16-ac5a10398546.html

I heard from a friend on the PIAA steering committee that they tossed around a figure of 7%. That was how many duals were wrestled without a forfeit.

I just read the article. Central Bucks is almost 2000 kids. If they are forfeiting that many weights it is a direct reflection on the coach. Which comes through in the quotes, blaming the kids, blaming millennials, blaming everyone else except himself. The district I live in is half the size of Central Bucks. And we have 3 kids at every weight except 106. And our program is very average, little better than .500. But we have a good coach and commitment at all levels and engagement in the community. From the quotes in that article it’s no shock kids don’t want to wrestle for those guys.

I just read the article. Central Bucks is almost 2000 kids. If they are forfeiting that many weights it is a direct reflection on the coach. Which comes through in the quotes, blaming the kids, blaming millennials, blaming everyone else except himself. The district I live in is half the size of Central Bucks. And we have 3 kids at every weight except 106. And our program is very average, little better than .500. But we have a good coach and commitment at all levels and engagement in the community. From the quotes in that article it’s no shock kids don’t want to wrestle for those guys.

That may or may not be the case for this one school. Do you think it's the same thing for as many schools/teams as it takes to only have 7% of all duals wrestled without a forfeit?

How many coaches have the energy and time for that level of commitment and do all that to get paid peanuts?

It's a lifestyle choice that most coaches aren't willing to make.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I absolutely think any HS in PA with at least 600 students that is forfeiting on a regular basis has a coaching and or feeder program issue that is fixable

The Majority of Schools with Wrestling in Pa have fewer than 600, probably fewer than 575 kids in the top 3 grades