Powerline

Alleged Ohio State Disabato video

I wouldn't put too much credence in anything that Dunyasha Yetts attributed to Hellickson - unless it was confirmed by Russ or a recording, etc. (Note: Not saying you are necessarily taking Yetts at his word as you did say "if true.")

Not necessarily, but Jordan’s team admitting to urging people to release statements backing him does corroborate part of the story.

I take how people write in texts as no indication as to how people write in real life. In fact, I consider people who type in complete sentences on their phones to be pretty weird.

Wait, I just called myself weird, didn't I!

Maybe true, but I’d also argue that people that continually repeat the phrase “keep on believing” are probably pretty weird too

Maybe true, but I’d also argue that people that continually repeat the phrase “keep on believing” are probably pretty weird too

The star witness - maybe Helickson had good reason to ask Yetts to tell the truth. I mean reading the articles about him, he sounds like a honest guy  - https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2002/01/21/story4.html

> "Yetts is also the target of a drug trafficking investigation in Columbus, in addition to the SEC matter, two civil lawsuits filed in Franklin County against Yetts and his own voluntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing. On July 30, Yetts was arrested on a felony charge of possessing 21 pounds of marijuana at a warehouse at 5101 Trabue Road in Columbus. ."

> "Yetts also had a legal dispute with former OSU fullback Nicky Sualua, who in 1997 agreed to have Yetts represent him in negotiations with the Dallas Cowboys and granted Yetts' request for power of attorney, according to a lawsuit Sualua filed in 1998 against Yetts. Sualua's signing bonus and all biweekly payments from the Cowboys were made directly to Yetts until the fall of 1997, according to the lawsuit.

Yetts used his power of attorney to buy a house in Dublin in Sualua's name, without the football player's permission, according to the suit."

> "After depositing Winfield's $700,000 in a bank account of World Wide Financial, the SEC claims Yetts used about $67,500 for personal and business expenses, including payments to prior investors, country club dues, attorney's fees, credit card bills, outstanding student loans and insurance premiums."

The star witness - maybe Helickson had good reason to ask Yetts to tell the truth. I mean reading the articles about him, he sounds like a honest guy - https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2002/01/21/story4.html

> "Yetts is also the target of a drug trafficking investigation in Columbus, in addition to the SEC matter, two civil lawsuits filed in Franklin County against Yetts and his own voluntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing. On July 30, Yetts was arrested on a felony charge of possessing 21 pounds of marijuana at a warehouse at 5101 Trabue Road in Columbus. ."

> "Yetts also had a legal dispute with former OSU fullback Nicky Sualua, who in 1997 agreed to have Yetts represent him in negotiations with the Dallas Cowboys and granted Yetts' request for power of attorney, according to a lawsuit Sualua filed in 1998 against Yetts. Sualua's signing bonus and all biweekly payments from the Cowboys were made directly to Yetts until the fall of 1997, according to the lawsuit.

Yetts used his power of attorney to buy a house in Dublin in Sualua's name, without the football player's permission, according to the suit."

> "After depositing Winfield's $700,000 in a bank account of World Wide Financial, the SEC claims Yetts used about $67,500 for personal and business expenses, including payments to prior investors, country club dues, attorney's fees, credit card bills, outstanding student loans and insurance premiums."

Not sure what any of that has to do with Jordan’s team flat out asking people to release statements backing him.

Honestly one of Yetts’ quotes in the text seems similar to what I think many here think. This story really shouldn’t be about Jordan, but by flat denying any knowledge of anything whatsoever he seems to have angered some of the former wrestlers, most of which seem to agree that everyone was aware of what was going on, even if they didn’t consider it to be abuse back then.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Jordan’s team flat out asking people to release statements backing him.

Honestly one of Yetts’ quotes in the text seems similar to what I think many here think. This story really shouldn’t be about Jordan, but by flat denying any knowledge of anything whatsoever he seems to have angered some of the former wrestlers, most of which seem to agree that everyone was aware of what was going on, even if they didn’t consider it to be abuse back then.

Exactly! Put everything else in a separate box; whatever the doctor was doing; whether it was abuse or not; etc. Hellickson stated that he addressed the doctor's questionable behavior. To presume he wouldn't discuss issues related to the team with his assistant coaches is beyond feasibility. Then his assistant coach says he never heard anything about anything. And given that assistant coach's current position as a high profile public servant, making highly questionable denials as to what might actually amount to sexual abuse in today's world is what stinks most about this situation. Now it would seem that Hellickson is doing some dirty work for Jordan when he allegedly is contacting litigants and laying out a path for back-tracking on earlier statements they made. That is more than merely asking for someone to tell the truth; far from it.

And what pains me most is that I think the world of Hellickson - but he is just getting down in the mud now. Very sad, IMO.

I think Hellickson perceived Strauss's behavior as inappropriate but not necessarily as sexual abuse.  And the fact that some of the wrestlers are saying it was an open secret in the locker room which they all laughed about may have played into that perception.  Perhaps if one of the wrestlers had directly reported something like digital/phallic penetration or masturbation, Russ would have handled it differently.  I can't get inside his mind, but its conceivable that he just saw Strauss as a voyeur who would cop a feel when examining the wrestlers.  And if the wrestlers were just laughing it off and not viewing it as abuse at the time either (as DeSabato himself said) then maybe that's the way Hellickson saw it too.  Sounds like he did raise the issue of non-team members hanging out for long periods of time in the showers/steam room, as well as telling Strauss that he was too "hands on."  And Russ might very well perceive those same events differently today than he did back then - which was almost 3 decades ago.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I think Hellickson perceived Strauss's behavior as inappropriate but not necessarily as sexual abuse. And the fact that some of the wrestlers are saying it was an open secret in the locker room which they all laughed about may have played into that perception. Perhaps if one of the wrestlers had directly reported something like digital/phallic penetration or masturbation, Russ would have handled it differently. I can't get inside his mind, but its conceivable that he just saw Strauss as a voyeur who would cop a feel when examining the wrestlers. And if the wrestlers were just laughing it off and not viewing it as abuse at the time either (as DeSabato himself said) then maybe that's the way Hellickson saw it too. Sounds like he did raise the issue of non-team members hanging out for long periods of time in the showers/steam room, as well as telling Strauss that he was too "hands on." And Russ might very well perceive those same events differently today than he did back then - which was almost 3 decades ago.

I think many would agree, the question is don’t you think Jordan probably perceived it the same way (or at least Hellickson told Jordan how he perceived it)? Basically either Jordan is lying or oblivious to his surroundings...not sure which is worse.

Edited by 1032004

I think these last few posts are dead-on and likely very reflective as to what actually happened 20-30 years ago. If someone else wants to take issue with how things were  handled at the time, fine - but not me. My issue is 1) Jordan's denial of having known anything about anything and now 2) Hellickson going so far as possibly witness tampering. 

Yes, politicians lie all the time. I get it - but that doesn't make it acceptable (to me at least). Those dismissing it with the waive of a hand as "boys will be boys" kind of behavior deserve the political system they have. Jordan is one of ours - and his lack of integrity on this issue was unnecessary and poorly conceived. Hellickson lowering himself to that level at this point is also disheartening. Jordan didn't "make this bed" for himself on this situation 30 years ago - he did it three months ago.

They wanted to trap Jordan 3 months ago. That is what this story is mainly about. Get Jim Jordan at any cost.

At that time, if his political enemies were out to get him (which I am sure they were) Jordan offered himself up on a platter; a bad, bad, strategy on his part to lie about this event from 30 years ago.

Edited by npope

At that time, if his political enemies were out to get him at that time (which I am sure they were) Jordan offered himself up on a platter; a bad, bad, strategy on his part to lie about this event from 30 years ago.

He said he did not know about abuse. I believe the man.

Edited by TBar1977

He said he did not know about abuse. I believe the man.

While he did claim he didn't know of any "abuse," he also went on to say "...I didn't hear anything about anything" - which is a different statement - and therein is the lie.

By your standard, Bill Clinton never really lied when he said he did not have "sexual relations" with Lewinski and those who took that as a lie  pursued a unjust path (an impeachment proceedings for lying under oath - not for the act itself). Is that right?

No one here is suggesting that Jordan should be impeached (he never made his statements under oath) but rather, he played word games (similar to what Clinton attempted) and then ended up just lying about not knowing anything (which if true, brands him as wildly out of touch with what was going on in the locker room).

At the very least, Jordan needs to be rebuked for his recent statements. Your blind political bias makes you no better than those who might come after Jordan because of his politics. People without a side in the debate see people like you (the people who are motivated by political biases) as naive and myopic; not as informed and loyal.

Edited by npope

Jordan probably knew the wrestlers thought Strauss was creepy, but since nobody reported abuse he went about his other responsibilities as a low level asst. wrestling coach.

And if that’s what he had said initially the story as it relates to him would probably be over.

And if that’s what he had said initially the story as it relates to him would probably be over.

No - if Jordan said he knew about it they would crucify him for not reporting it. This is a political hit job plain and simply.

No - if Jordan said he knew about it they would crucify him for not reporting it. This is a political hit job plain and simply.

I disagree, for one Hellickson confirmed confronting Strauss because he made him uncomfortable so it’s not like they totally ignored it back then. And Hellickson is not being “crucified” despite being the head coach.

It’s funny because Jordan’s team is asking the wrestlers to backtrack (possibly asking for Hellickson’s help in doing so) and yet it’s Hellickson’s comments which provide the most likely indication that Jordan is lying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/10/trump-conservatives-sticking-jordan-over-abuse-allegations-but-others/769402002/

Clinton lied. He also slept with an intern whom he had power over. To quote tge late Anthony Bourdain, "Bill Clinton is a disgusting Pig".

Wait I thought that was ok for presidents now??

Clinton lied. He also slept with an intern whom he had power over. To quote tge late Anthony Bourdain, "Bill Clinton is a disgusting Pig".

Who here is saying Clinton told the truth? (IMO, he got what he deserved, but that's beside the point) What I am saying is that one lied and was impeached. The other lied (albeit not yet under oath) and you bend over backwards trying to find a way to not acknowledge his lie. You are just being inconsistent; blinded by political leanings (but you wouldn't be the first). And no one here is saying that Jordan should be impeached but rather, just saying let's acknowledge the lie for what it is.

Jordon was a young kid at the time working on an advanced degree and coaching. Sure he heard about the nonsense but just didn’t think it was a big deal. All of us have been in situations like that. He should have been transparent when questioned about the past. That now is his problem. Times have changed since he was an assist coach. Today, if someone passes gas at practice, the coach is expected to contact the EPA on the grounds that the person used a fossil fuel incorrectly.

I wrestled at tOSU in 1983/84, in Larkins Hall (no longer there), in the same wrestling room, using many of the same trainers, same locker room, yes, same gay trolls that shouldn't have been there, same open shower after practice, but NEVER did I EVER hear about a doctor as described by Mike D.  Chris Ford was our head coach just before Hellickson took charge of the team. Mike's older brother Andy was my assistant coach and a really good guy as far as I know.  Mike D's fraud and abuse of student athletes failing to pay for endorsements for his Cage Fighter line of clothing took the cake until now. I wrestled there with Andy DiSabato as an assistant coach, Jude Skove was a guy that beat me up daily, but again, I never heard a story about the doctor.  Grant this, Jim Jordan started coaching there about 4 years later after his great college run at Wisconsin, so we were there at different times, but not that far apart.

I also would like to think that a D1 wrestler would hang the doc up on a wall with his jock strap if he tried to pull crap like what has been alleged.  Personal responsibility ought to be considered as well as the timing of these stories.

I don't buy it, and know with good info that Mike D is a bit of a scumbag. Andy D however was a great guy to me.

Edited by skikayaker