Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

Any picks you feel you had 100% wrong?

I've maintained 4 unpopular thoughts on this board over the last year, 1 has now become the accepted truth, one is in question, but 2 are looking like I was as off base as it gets and I'm going to be left looking like a fool and eating all the crow.

View 1.) STEIBler has 0 chance... there was early resistance in the form of "how can you say a world champ doesn't have a chance"... hell I think I gave him like 20% chance to earn a medal last year... after his big win at the world cup, the resistance came back, but I think people are starting to realize..... no go.

View 2.) Chamizo is just the best "wrestler" anywhere near his weight and a straight double is not enough to beat him, I expect him to beat JB...

This is kinda a tricky view, because though he did win, it wasn't any kind of domination, speaks to JB's excellence and 10 points speaks to just how hard it is to keep JB from scoring, if Chamizo wins worlds however, I'll act like I knew it all along even though its clearly a coinflip.

View 3.) Dake can medal but not a lock at all....

this one got away from me a bit, the way he is wrestling, I just cant picture him losing to anyone outside of the Russian and even that seems unlikely at this point.

View 4.) DT can lose to 2 or 3 guys at the weight outside of Yaz, and if he gets to Yaz he gets teched.... damn if he doesn't look incredible at the moment, I still think Torreblanco is going to give him issues but my Yaz by tech confidence dwindles with every pin....

Other thoughts like Gillman can medal but no lock..

We are incredibly weak at 61kg

Jden is inconsistent

Snyder will face Sadulaev

Gwiz can medal....

Are all common knowledge and nothing has changed them....

I guess I was off on James G... I assumed he was life-long top 3 (lock to medal) just unlikely to win the gold, his recent performances have me wondering if he can medal this year.

Ok now your turn, what wrestler has recently changed your view of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08

Taylor always looks awesome until he hits an athlete. There may no longer be a Dake or Cox in his path, so could be gold.

I've always thought Chamizo was top three pfp in the world. Nothing I saw today changes my mine. 

So DT just lucked his way into hundreds of wins over the years. Who knew? 

So DT just lucked his way into hundreds of wins over the years. Who knew? 

I think he was saying the more all around athletic/explosive wrestlers, like Dake and Cox, give DT problems.

Some people are excellent strategist, some have freak athletic abilities. Could be the reason Torreblanco has given him problems, he's not going to try slide by's and tilts, and all that nonsense, he is going to rely on quickness to avoid your takedowns and try to blow through you when he wants one of his own.

Taylor can "Out-wrestle" anyone, and most of these guys dont have that blinding takedown, they want to get in, and plod their way into good position, and finish, and you just cant do that against DT... Dake has been able to but seemingly only Dake.

JB had to blast him off his feet, as did Cox.

Im interested in seeing if Yazdani just underhooks him into bad position and shot selection,

Or if Taylor is able to get in early and work some of these killer top moves... I have no idea how it will turn out,

I think he was saying the more all around athletic/explosive wrestlers, like Dake and Cox, give DT problems.

Some people are excellent strategist, some have freak athletic abilities. Could be the reason Torreblanco has given him problems, he's not going to try slide by's and tilts, and all that nonsense, he is going to rely on quickness to avoid your takedowns and try to blow through you when he wants one of his own.

Taylor can "Out-wrestle" anyone, and most of these guys dont have that blinding takedown, they want to get in, and plod their way into good position, and finish, and you just cant do that against DT... Dake has been able to but seemingly only Dake.

JB had to blast him off his feet, as did Cox.

Im interested in seeing if Yazdani just underhooks him into bad position and shot selection,

Or if Taylor is able to get in early and work some of these killer top moves... I have no idea how it will turn out,

The four guys you mention have at least three different body types and Taylor wrestled these guys at different times in his career. At this point Taylor's record is very impressive. He has close losses to a few great wrestlers, but he has beaten equally great wrestlers and he's crushed everyone else except a few gyys at the very front end of his sr. freestyle career.

At this point the whole wrestling world knows who he is and how good he is. Not bad for that formerly skinny kid. We should all be so lucky to have his skill or his toughness. He takes a ton of crap but still proves himself, so mentally tough too.

Good analysis except for Taylor and Yaz. Yaz is not that athlete guy that Taylor could get horsed by. I think Taylor easily beats Yazdani. Now is there a new russian freak or Cuban cyborg type guy looming for worlds? Not sure but Taylor is the favorite.  

It's funny that Gilman's medal was completely dismissed.  Then his win over Fix was dismissed.  Now he wins the same tournament as Dake and Taylor and they are passing Burroughs while Gilman is still dismissed.  I'm no Gilman fan and no Iowa fan, but it's hilarious how a guy's college career determines how he is viewed as an international freestyle wrestler.  

It's funny that Gilman's medal was completely dismissed.  Then his win over Fix was dismissed.  Now he wins the same tournament as Dake and Taylor and they are passing Burroughs while Gilman is still dismissed.  I'm no Gilman fan and no Iowa fan, but it's hilarious how a guy's college career determines how he is viewed as an international freestyle wrestler.  

not discounting gilman, but he wasn't nearly as dominant, and wasn't faced with the best guy in the weight class... tho as i noted in another post... who knows if dake and taylor were faced with the best

not discounting gilman, but he wasn't nearly as dominant, and wasn't faced with the best guy in the weight class... tho as i noted in another post... who knows if dake and taylor were faced with the best

Yeah right there with you, I haven't been the leader of the fan club but I think Gillman can medal at worlds and I've been pretty steady in that. His bracket here simply didn't have anyone else in it of that caliber, and he struggled a bit to get W's, but.. my opinion changed very little.

Taylor is pinning guys who can place so I understand the excitement, and as far as KD, I'm coming around on him being a finalst... but it is a non-olympic weight so it's very thin I'm not sure he is beating the "best" competition either, he is dominating guys he should, but like I said somewhere else. . Who has he beaten lately? HASANOV? Does that guy ever beat americans? In the end it doesn't matter how "OK" Hasanov is he could be the 3rd toughest guy at the weight come worlds

And in the history books it wont say Olympic weight or not, History could remember Kyle Dake World Champ

Bloodsport > Kickboxer. Been working on my "din mak" ever since I saw it. https://youtu.be/RF6Xcbf7-Ug

Bloodsport is definitely a better movie, but if we are battling overall awful/awkward/cheesey acting, nothing beats the dance scene when he's supposed to be drunk in Kickboxer

https://youtu.be/117AUcx2ask