Buckxell

The 4 Chamizo got against JB

Losses are ok, questionable calls bordering on screw jobs are not. The jury is still out whether this qualifies as a screw job though it is certainly a questionable call.

Life is full of questions. And, sometimes you just get screwed. (And the best guy doesn’t always win.)

Just hard to see but I can see how they gave 4.  Unfortunately, Manning foolishly threw the challenge block in during the first 15 seconds of the bout and wasted a jury video review.  Missing a takedown by JB in the first 15 seconds and coming out with a step out point is no big deal.  Not the best coaching decision in match that would likely have some close calls or fireworks later on, IMO.

Just hard to see but I can see how they gave 4.  Unfortunately, Manning foolishly threw the challenge block in during the first 15 seconds of the bout and wasted a jury video review.  Missing a takedown by JB in the first 15 seconds and coming out with a step out point is no big deal.  Not the best coaching decision in match that would likely have some close calls or fireworks later on, IMO.

If you look at the video, burros foolishly told manning to throw the brick before manning foolishly threw the brick and burros foolishly aknowledged to carry on with the challenge.

Just hard to see but I can see how they gave 4. Unfortunately, Manning foolishly threw the challenge block in during the first 15 seconds of the bout and wasted a jury video review. Missing a takedown by JB in the first 15 seconds and coming out with a step out point is no big deal. Not the best coaching decision in match that would likely have some close calls or fireworks later on, IMO.

Sure look like Jordan was motioning with his hand to throw the brick in to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder if JB knew he had been given 2 already for the TD. He may have been better off just cutting Chamizo loose as they scrambled to their feet rather than continuing to engage.  

I assume that JB didn't know that his 2 TD was confirmed. A lot of times in freestyle, after a flurry, you see both guys look up at the scoreboard and do the mental math to figure out what the call was. JB probably thought that it was a crucial moment in the match (going up 8-4) and wanted to make sure he got his 2 TD. 

left hand hits mat, shoulders past 90, knee hits mat ..   

not popular but...

good call

Interesting because that is not what I see in the video at all.  Yes, left hand hits the mat, but shoulders do not go past 90.  In a flurry it could have looked like it but I don't see it. 

Be that as it may, this must be a learning experience for Burroughs.  He must take away from this that Frank is awesome and an adept counterer.  He needs to work on that and figure that out.  I think based on this performance Frank has positioned himself as Burroughs' most powerful opponent in the upcoming WC's.

mspart

Interesting because that is not what I see in the video at all. Yes, left hand hits the mat, but shoulders do not go past 90. In a flurry it could have looked like it but I don't see it.

Be that as it may, this must be a learning experience for Burroughs. He must take away from this that Frank is awesome and an adept counterer. He needs to work on that and figure that out. I think based on this performance Frank has positioned himself as Burroughs' most powerful opponent in the upcoming WC's.

mspart

You can not see the exposure by the video. You also can not determine there was no exposure from the video.

My point being, the chair called them both over as he had the same angle as all the video he could not determine, just as the rest of us.

The mat and judge emphatically told the chair 4 points, no doubt in their minds. Even made gestures to the effect of exposure. It happened right in front of them.

Not worthy of appointing a special investigator.

Good job finding the other vid.

Can't really complain when the call is that close. Burroughs didn't seem to complain or look confused after.

My thought was why is the table so close to the action? Hard to blame the athlete for giving up continuation points when there is the possibility of being concerned about hitting the judges table. Burroughs left hand clearly goes down right next to the leg of the table and one of the two hits the front of the table. Not sure if it was a factor. Only Burroughs can know what he was thinking as he went down to the mat and he wouldn't use it as an excuse even if it did have an effect. It would be a shame if that was a factor at all. Noticed it in a couple of other matches too. The near judges table was so close to the mat in Cox's match you couldn't even see the match continue off of the mat on the camera, which I assume was set up on or near the table.

Seems like a lot of scoring occurs on the edge and continuation scoring is a big deal and allowed so let's stop having important qualifying/ranking tournaments in buildings that are ill equipped to handle the event. No reason to have this little space matside at a major event. If a better venue isn't available for Yasar Dogu then maybe it shouldn't be a ranking tournament. Just a thought.

Ok, watched it again. First time I watched it was on my phone. This time was full size on a laptop. Neither hits the table, but what I saw is just as bad. The judge who made the exposure call actually has to reach out and move the table as the action is happening in front of him. Kind of an important time to have your attention divided. Hard to believe this would be necessary. If you want to see something funny just watch the mat judge from about the time Burroughs gets his two to the time he moves the table. He looks away from the action to the left as Chamizo's scoring sequence begins, I assume for a paddle, and finally looks back at about the time Burroughs steps out of bounds which is about the time he reaches to move the table. Hillarious that this was the guy that was adamant for four. I still don't have a problem with the call. Too hard to see on the video to really refute it.

Edited by steen-hooph

It would be nice if someone from Dagestan could post a video that was taken from the other side.

On another note, we have two world champs and a score of 10-10.  Something is either not right about defense or something is very right about offense.  Be that as it may, if Jordan wants to repeat he needs to figure out the Frank Scramble.

mspart

It would be nice if someone from Dagestan could post a video that was taken from the other side.

On another note, we have two world champs and a score of 10-10.  Something is either not right about defense or something is very right about offense.  Be that as it may, if Jordan wants to repeat he needs to figure out the Frank Scramble.

mspart

Frank just does not seem to bend or flex in the middle.  Very solid core

I've isolated and slowed down the sequence here, for anyone interested.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/YoungOptimisticHornshark

This is the best view I have seen of the sequence. I don't believe it was 4 now. Oh well, pretty close. Hard to call definitively. Still surprised at how casually the mat judge right next to the action is watching throughout the process.

Thanks for slowing that down!   That is pretty much the way I saw it but slowed down it looks like Jordan is closer to 90 than what I saw before.  It is reasonable that it could be considered back exposure.  I don't see it but in the heat of the moment, it looks like a plausibility. 

mspart

This is the best view I have seen of the sequence. I don't believe it was 4 now. Oh well, pretty close. Hard to call definitively. Still surprised at how casually the mat judge right next to the action is watching throughout the process.

You didn't believe it was 4 before either. This doesn't show any more than the original.

I've went blow up to frame by frame. Just can not determine anything from this angle except the mat off. and judge had the best view. The mat official didn't appear to be a big fan of Chamizo either.

I assume that JB didn't know that his 2 TD was confirmed. A lot of times in freestyle, after a flurry, you see both guys look up at the scoreboard and do the mental math to figure out what the call was. JB probably thought that it was a crucial moment in the match (going up 8-4) and wanted to make sure he got his 2 TD. 

i agree. this is crazy. there should be some sort of announcement. even if they said two in another language, it should be pretty clear.

You can not see the exposure by the video. You also can not determine there was no exposure from the video.

My point being, the chair called them both over as he had the same angle as all the video he could not determine, just as the rest of us.

The mat and judge emphatically told the chair 4 points, no doubt in their minds. Even made gestures to the effect of exposure. It happened right in front of them.

Not worthy of appointing a special investigator.

Good job finding the other vid.

so how can you then say, shoulders past 90... if you can't tell either way

mspart

i have been told for years that ben askren funk wouldn't work.

i think frank's D flies in the face of freestyle teachings in our country.

i agree. this is crazy. there should be some sort of announcement. even if they said two in another language, it should be pretty clear.

how do you know it wasnt said?   

Burroughs pretty much choked away a nice lead.  4 points!  all day long!

4 point.jpg

Edited by tbert