Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Handshakes immediately after in sports

Some wrestling purists still hold onto it, but is it really necessary?

The reason I mention it is Bryson DeChambeau, a pretty solid pro golfer, is taking some heavy heat for what would be considered a pretty good shake by wrestling standards:

http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2018/07/bryson-dechambeau-handshake-video.html

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1023812599610261504

I also want to say the embedding restrictions on this board are ridiculous!!!!

Edited to add further context:  On top of it he went bogey, bogey, par and then triple bogey to finish.

Edited by MSU158

I thought the golf handshake was a bit too quick, and delivered "on the fly" as he was leaving.  Not good form for that game.

In wrestling,  I think the before and after shake is good and upholds a sense of honor and respect for the opponent and the competition. 

I will say that its a bit humorous to see the kids (even up through high school) who get the idea that you have to shake the guy's hand every time there's a fresh start in the center.  

A bit ironic that after getting all tangled up in another guy's sweat we can't shake or touch hands!! A hug would actually be normal and fitting.

Anyway, it's all about sportsmanship and being human. I knew one coach, now deceased and generally viewed as a tough, frighteningly cold personality, that refused to shake hands to such an extent that he he would retreat to the stands before the meet ended in order to avoid the touchy-feely episode.

What about bro-hugging the opposing coaching staff after the match?

Back in the early to mid-80s, due to some poor sportsmanship at NCAAs (The old Minnesota coach- Wally Johnson? running away from Ricky Dellagatta and Nate Carr trying to shake Gable's hand- not going to say who was more unsportsmanlike in these scenarios) the committee decided to outlaw the post-match coach handshake. I called it Unnecessary Sportsmanship!.

At the Penn State Open, I was in Darryl Burley's corner (I hesitate to say I was coaching him- I was holding his stuff) as he wrestled Sean Finkbeiner (also a good friend of mine). After the match Sean came over to shake my hand. I told him it might be a problem with the new rule so I gave him a big hug since that was legal.

Back in the early to mid-80s, due to some poor sportsmanship at NCAAs (The old Minnesota coach- Wally Johnson? running away from Ricky Dellagatta and Nate Carr trying to shake Gable's hand- not going to say who was more unsportsmanlike in these scenarios) the committee decided to outlaw the post-match coach handshake. I called it Unnecessary Sportsmanship!.

At the Penn State Open, I was in Darryl Burley's corner (I hesitate to say I was coaching him- I was holding his stuff) as he wrestled Sean Finkbeiner (also a good friend of mine). After the match Sean came over to shake my hand. I told him it might be a problem with the new rule so I gave him a big hug since that was legal.

What with all the lawsuits flying around, I suggest you refrain from saying that you were "holding his stuff."

An honorable tradition--the contest begins and ends with a sportsmanlike handshake.  Some of our supposed greatest coaches and disciplinarians never taught/demanded their wrestlers give a proper handshake.  No, a hand slap is not a handshake.  Regarding shaking the opposing coach's hand, I agree with the statement above--be consistent and do it when you lose or win.  And shake someone's damn hand like a man--the hand slap and running out of the gym with your warm-ups is infantile and bush league.  

I can't imagine starting a match without a handshake. Ending handshakes tend to be perfunctory though, at best.

I got hammered by Chris SInor one time in HS. Pulled 20 pounds to wrestle the state champ, and it ended differently than it did in "Dream Quest". Anyway, Chris had a really weak, limp fish type handshake. I was thinking "Oh yeah, I'm gonna break this guy like a 10 day old cookie". PSYCH! Don't put too much into a firm handshake :D

Edited by TobusRex

I went to a dual in Nebraska a couple years back. The kids shook hands before dual and then ran over and shook the coaches hand. They shook hands before and after the match obviously and shook the opposing coaches hand again. Then they all shook hands after the dual. Athletes shook hands 4 times and shook opposing coaches hand 3 times. That is overkill. As an observer it just looked silly; like an odd attempt to make sure everyone knew that these are good sports.

What about the hand touch and run instead of shake?  :)

Seriously - I hate the freestyle protocol where the ref grabs your hand and forces you to pirouette in humiliation.  That is tough to take after a hard loss. 

What about the hand touch and run instead of shake?  :)

Seriously - I hate the freestyle protocol where the ref grabs your hand and forces you to pirouette in humiliation.  That is tough to take after a hard loss. 

Having done the pirouette of shame more than my fair share of times, I can say that very little in sports teaches humility more effectively than that.  And that's a good thing.

As a coach I never like shaking the kids hand immediately following the individual matches in a dual.  Shaking hands during the pre match ceremonies and after the conclusion of the dual is fine but not after each individual match.