Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Traveling to Chechnya?

The State Department is pretty clear on their recommendation.

Do not travel to:
The north Caucasus, including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus, due to civil unrest and terrorism.

North Caucasus (including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus)

Civil unrest and terrorist attacks continue throughout the North Caucasus region including in Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. Local gangs have kidnapped U.S. citizens and other foreigners for ransom. There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of gay men in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.

Do not attempt to climb Mount Elbrus, as travelers must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.

The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in the North Caucasus region, including Mount Elbrus, as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling to the region.

Would this be considered a safe thing to do, and if it is, how easy would it be to be able to train there?

modern Chechnya is very very safe place, after Kadyrov (Putin) I will say that the reform of the fight against terrorism is one of the safest places in the world. Chances that you will be robbed in Santa Monica higher than in Chechnya.

I call this place "Ismalic state of Utah or Colorado"

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

The State Department is pretty clear on their recommendation.

Do not travel to:
The north Caucasus, including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus, due to civil unrest and terrorism.

North Caucasus (including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus)

Civil unrest and terrorist attacks continue throughout the North Caucasus region including in Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. Local gangs have kidnapped U.S. citizens and other foreigners for ransom. There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of gay men in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.

Do not attempt to climb Mount Elbrus, as travelers must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.

The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in the North Caucasus region, including Mount Elbrus, as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling to the region.

i know better than "American media and some guys from this board" North Caucasus. In Dagestan yes, dangerous in some places. But in Chechnya not. If ur wallet was lost or some bear guy throw u like Krelin call the police - they solve your problem very quickly.

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

You have to remember, going there with pre established relationships and training arrangements with wrestlers who live there is way, way different than a tourist or journalist showing up into a hotel.  Trying to just show up because you used to wrestle or you currently wrestle, then trying to fit in is more difficult too.  If you want your friend to go, there are people here who have direct relationships who are coaching and wrestling currently.

u know better than "American media and some guys from this board" North Caucasus. In Dagestan yes, dangerous in some places. But in Chechnya not. If ur wallet was lost or some bear guy throw u like Krelin call the police - they solve your problem very quickly.

Haha I don’t think that’s from the “American media.” Its the United States Department of State.

I've done it. I wouldn't have felt comfortable without knowing people/coaches there beforehand, but if you are a known guest they treat you like royalty.

The training environment wasn't super ideal for me. I wasn't good enough to make the most of it and not being able to fully understand your coaches was difficult at times.