Sign in to follow this  
TLS62pa

McCauley

In the article it said something to the fact about his freestyle career going so well.

If his freestyle career was going so well he'd be on the Olympic team.

All 7 members of the 2012 Olympic freestyle team wrestled in college and had success in college. It's obvious there is no advantage to staying at the OTC if your goal is to become an Olympic wrestler. IMO he will regret this decision and its a poor move.

In the article it said something to the fact about his freestyle career going so well.

All 7 members of the 2012 Olympic freestyle team wrestled in college and had success in college. It's obvious there is no advantage to staying at the OTC if your goal is to become an Olympic wrestler. IMO he will regret this decision and its a poor move.

Cejudo hadn't made a world team when he was Destin's age. Not that Henry should be the standard by which Destin is measured, but you have to concede that this would be pretty early for Destin to make a world team.

His freestyle career is going awesome if you ask me. He has absolutely throttled his age group(which has some pretty tough customers).

66kg needs help in my opinion. He's the future possibly, along with Oliver.

This. Oliver won't get big enough to make a splash at 66k. You gotta be there are come down. Unless your name is Batirov.

You don't think JO can put the size on? He didn't look that much smaller than Metcalf and he obviously had not been trying to bulk for 66. Seeing Jordan's brother at NCAA's...he definitely has the capacity to get big..

If he goes 49 like many are suggesting, he will have a year to lift/eat. I don't think it's unfeasible.

he just made the JR World Team and is like 18/19 years old.

know what you're talking about before being so critical and judgmental. now...back to trackwrestling practice!

I would throw Andrew Alton's name out there as well. He qualified for OTT and defeated McCauley despite spending his redshirt year focusing on folkstyle. Alton's style seems to be a very good fit for freestyle.

This. Oliver won't get big enough to make a splash at 66k. You gotta be there are come down. Unless your name is Batirov.

You don't think JO can put the size on? He didn't look that much smaller than Metcalf and he obviously had not been trying to bulk for 66. Seeing Jordan's brother at NCAA's...he definitely has the capacity to get big..

If he goes 49 like many are suggesting, he will have a year to lift/eat. I don't think it's unfeasible.

We shall see. Oliver has a ton of ability.

Oldfan - I got it that's why I almost spit-up , it 's like Husker was saying , don't waste your time here posting on subjects that you know nothing about when you should be practicing you trackwrestling skill's.

It's the best , one of the funniest things I've read in a long long time .

great move by mccauley. i hope he's taking classes towards a degree. i'm surprised more kids don't go that route.

here's the comparison:

-train with wrestlers from all over the world in different contexts or bang heads with the same partners for 6 months straight, compete in tournaments or duals, weigh in the night before or 1 or 2 hours before, travel to different parts of the world or the midwest in winter, wrestle freestyle or folk.

no brainer, what are other kids thinking? however, an ivy league education may trump all else.

[highlight=#ffffff][blockquote][blockquote]great move by mccauley. i hope he's taking classes towards a degree. i'm surprised more kids don't go that route.

here's the comparison:

-train with wrestlers from all over the world in different contexts or bang heads with the same partners for 6 months straight, compete in tournaments or duals, weigh in the night before or 1 or 2 hours before, travel to different parts of the world or the midwest in winter, wrestle freestyle or folk.

no brainer, what are other kids thinking? however, an ivy league education may trump all else.

oh yea, be more prepared to make a world or olympic team and win it.[/blockquote][/blockquote][/highlight]

I don't think that's the point.

It's not black and white like you portray. D1 is not the route for everyone, and OTC is not for everyone.

But they can be the right choice for many kids and there's no right or wrong. Depends on goals both wrestling and non wrestling related.

va,

your right. it's not for everyone. most kids, even blue chippers won't get invitations to live and train at the otc. i simply think that those who have the chance, like mccauley, should take it compared to wrestling in college.

I respect this kid's decision, but to think he is the future of 66kg is a little premature.

the next 4 years alone will be an interesting stretch at 66kgs, I see all of the above being ahead of McCauley:

Metcalf

Chamberlain

Churella

Hall

Pami

Oliver

???Dake??? Do not hijack the thread with speculation, but if he wants to compete internationally this is the only weight he can be "the Man" at.

Russell

These are even with McCauley:

Ness

Alton

Alton

And those are just the ones in college now. Whitford, Tsirtsis may be there too.

If McCauley is even reasonably close in ability to anyone on that list, and he focuses exclusively on freestyle during his development, he will be the man at 66k.

Our development of wrestlers with folkstyle is LARGELY an abject failure post college when they attempt to catchup with the world in freestyle.

Couldn't agree more with this...I don't see him making the 2016 team because of this very list. If he makes the 2020 team at age 27 did the OTC really give him that much of an advantage?

I respect this kid's decision, but to think he is the future of 66kg is a little premature.

the next 4 years alone will be an interesting stretch at 66kgs, I see all of the above being ahead of McCauley:

Metcalf

Chamberlain

Churella

Hall

Pami

Oliver

???Dake??? Do not hijack the thread with speculation, but if he wants to compete internationally this is the only weight he can be "the Man" at.

Russell

Ness

Alton

Alton

And those are just the ones in college now. Whitford, Tsirtsis may be there too.

Metcalf

Chamberlain

Churella

Hall

Pami

Oliver

Russell

Ness

Alton

Alton

Metcalf has made zero improvements since he graduated from college. Russell is at 60 kg. Dake won't be coming down. Ness is not even with McCauley in free anymore imo. I wouldn't be surprised if Churella retired. Hall, Pami and Chamberlain have done little to suggest they could be anything beyond depth guys at 66.

I just see a huge upside in Destin. We will see how he does at WTT's this year. I think he will be in the mix, top 4 or so.

You are right. That is probably not fair or accurate. I really hoped Brent would take hold of this weight and dominate for a few cycles. The lat two trials finals Brent lost to guys he had previously defeated in freestyle. I guess that was where my statement came from.