Sign in to follow this  
TLS62pa

McCauley

I love how everyone is so down on Metcalf.

Are you people forgetting that he has previously beat the guy going to the olympics, and was second at the trials? Frayer was the underdog in that match, the series went to 3 bouts, with which came down to a criteria that even Frayer was confused if he had one. In case you have forgot

http://thegazette.com/2012/04/22/brent-metcalfs-first-loss-in-carver-couldnt-have-come-at-a-worse-time/

I know there are a lot of jock sniffers out there, but lets get for real for a few seconds. In no way is a kid who is still in high school a favorite over a guy who has graduated college with 2 titles, 1 finals appearance, World team member, Olympic alternate, has beat the guy in our weight at the Olympics, qualified the weight for Olympics, placed at a tournament that is arguably harder than the Olympics, and has a record on par with almost every Olympic team member.

This discussion is premature at best.

Doing little to prove they are anything more than depth guys does not make them incapable of handily beating McCauley on a regular basis. Metcalf's improvements in Freestyle are rather inconsequential. He can improve a grand total of 0% and still destroy McCauley.

What is McCauley's major accomplishment internationally? Making a Junior National Team? Ok, Chamberlain made two of those, the last of which he beat McCauley on his way to making.

You might be high on McCauley, which is fine, but that is speculation based on significant improvement at the OTC. I see no huge steps in the last year. I see no evidence that in the next cycle he will be capable of hanging with any of these guys.

Scribes statement seemed pretty factual to me.

I see Destin surpassing a lot of guys the next year or two. Remember, i said i thought he was the future, not the here and now. Do you know how much further along at 18/19 he is compared to the other guys on the list?

I think Metcalf was injured or got injured when he lost to Ware one year could be wrong and as for Frayer he just got beat that day by the better wrestler. I would like to see Metcalf really open up and change levels some for more action as the more points that are scored in his matches I think he has a better shot of really dominating.

Metcalf is one of America's finest wrestlers ever. But he is not even an Olympian in his prime.

I'm not sure what this means. Terry Brands wasn't an Olympian in his prime either, does that mean his International career was over? And he did end up making an Olympics and medaling.

I see Destin surpassing a lot of guys the next year or two. Remember, i said i thought he was the future, not the here and now. Do you know how much further along at 18/19 he is compared to the other guys on the list?

Ok. Lets look at the facts then.

Destin has limited international experience on a senior level.

Destin lost to Andrew Alton (who is not even top 10 right now) and did not qualify for the trials.

Destin has not beaten a top 10 guy at the weight yet and has losses to non top 10 guys.

He is now allegedly the favorite against Brent Metcalf.

Brent is a 2x National Champion, 1 time runner up.

Brent is the Olympic alternate who beat the Olympian at the weight for the world trial spot (In 2010) and lost the match due to criteria that Frayer had the higher point scoring move (Destin was Pinned by Frayer).

Brent has either direct wins over most of the top 10 (Including Frayer) or placed higher at the same tournament then all top 10 athletes at his weight class.

Brent has international wins on Senior level of the 3rd ranked wrestler at that weight. Hasonov was a 2 time bronze place at Worlds and some think he has a good shot at winning the whole thing.

Brent record is similar/on par to everyone on the Olympic team. His record speaks for itself on improvement. That is a fact.

I for one, think this discussion is silly until Mr. McCauley beats a top 10 international wrestler, or a top 5 US wrestler.

Ok. Lets look at the facts then.

Destin has limited international experience on a senior level.

Destin lost to Andrew Alton (who is not even top 10 right now) and did not qualify for the trials.

Destin has not beaten a top 10 guy at the weight yet and has losses to non top 10 guys.

He is now allegedly the favorite against Brent Metcalf.

Brent is a 2x National Champion, 1 time runner up.

Brent is the Olympic alternate who beat the Olympian at the weight for the world trial spot (In 2010) and lost the match due to criteria that Frayer had the higher point scoring move (Destin was Pinned by Frayer).

Brent has either direct wins over most of the top 10 (Including Frayer) or placed higher at the same tournament then all top 10 athletes at his weight class.

Brent has international wins on Senior level of the 3rd ranked wrestler at that weight. Hasonov was a 2 time bronze place at Worlds and some think he has a good shot at winning the whole thing.

Brent record is similar/on par to everyone on the Olympic team. His record speaks for itself on improvement. That is a fact.

I for one, think this discussion is silly until Mr. McCauley beats a top 10 international wrestler, or a top 5 US wrestler.

Please locate where anyone said Destin was currently a favorite against Brent.

We will be waiting.

Scribe said he will be the guy at the weight class next year, and you said he will be in the mix at trials next year.

My response was to show how much improvement Destin will have to make, especially if he is to beat out Metcalf (As implied by Scribe). I also find it odd that despite Destin failing to qualify at trials and having been pinned twice on a senior international freestyle tournament, you think he will be top 4-5 on WTT's simply based on the fact he is training at CO in freestyle and not in college for folk. I would like to know how you come up with this? None of the top 10 guys at that weight class are college guys. All 10 (9 excluding Frayer) of them are training full time in freestyle. There is even a pretty decent argument that CO isn't the optimal place to train given how of the top 10 men freestyle wrestlers are training out of CO.

1) I can't find where I said DM would be the guy next year.

2) There is no guarantee DM will be 'the man' at 66k. But we do know that we do not have a world beater there at the moment, nor for the foreseeable future.

3) There is precedence for success of top level wrestlers skipping folkstyle as a development. see: Cejudo. Zeke wouldn't just have anyone at OTC training full time. It is typical to allow (invite) a year for development right out of high school (greyshirt), but not on a continual developmental basis. I think the USA staff knows what they are looking at prospectively. I trust this.

i fully understand why you guys are discussing what you're discussing.

but in the grand scheme of things, does it matter how close one is to making the oly/world team right now?

i mean let's forget about the individual. let's just say that Wrestler X's goal is to make world teams and compete internationally in the future, and that he really preferred free to folk, does it matter how good Wrestler X is? the kid is doing what he wants to do.

not saying my answer is the right one. just posing the question.

the way you guys are debating, it's like one group will look back in 4-8 years and say 'i told you so'.

either Destin has success or he doesn't.

but isn't the real issue whether one should pursue their goals?

i applaud Destin for making the decision he has. it's not the popular decision, and he knew that. and he didn't look at the OLY ladder and say he can't beat those guys.

whether he does or not in the future is academic to me.

just my pov.

i fully understand why you guys are discussing what you're discussing.

but in the grand scheme of things, does it matter how close one is to making the oly/world team right now?

i mean let's forget about the individual. let's just say that Wrestler X's goal is to make world teams and compete internationally in the future, and that he really preferred free to folk, does it matter how good Wrestler X is? the kid is doing what he wants to do.

not saying my answer is the right one. just posing the question.

the way you guys are debating, it's like one group will look back in 4-8 years and say 'i told you so'.

either Destin has success or he doesn't.

but isn't the real issue whether one should pursue their goals?

i applaud Destin for making the decision he has. it's not the popular decision, and he knew that. and he didn't look at the OLY ladder and say he can't beat those guys.

whether he does or not in the future is academic to me.

just my pov.

There U Go Again Willie, Making Sense 8-)

McCauley is good and seems to be improving. He did get beat by Alton and he also got dominated by Will Rowe 1-0, 6-0 at the last chance olympic qualifier. His match with Jason Tsirtsis was a good close match at Fila Jr. He won on leg clinch and 3-2. If i was his coach I would tell him to go to college. If he stays at OTC and does not win the world team spot in the next three years or win the olympic spot in 4 years would that be a failure? If Metcalf would have skipped college to train at OTC full time would he be on the Olympic team this year? Good luck to him and I hope this is what he wants.

If Metcalf would have skipped college to train at OTC full time would he be on the Olympic team this year? .

actually, im going to go "Yes" on that one.

as i said, i appreciate kids chasing their goals perhaps even more than i appreciate the outcome.

however, imo, Metcalf learned a recipe for being successful in college. if he would have dedicated those years to FS, i think there's a good chance he would have made previous world teams.

I am going to break ranks with vais (sort of). I MIGHT agree that Metcalf hasn't improved much since college. But I think he has actually made quite a few strides in terms of 'improvement'. Where he has made significant gains is adjustment to the different style. He is looking for and hitting different moves that score in freestyle. It's all these little intuitive/instinctive things that folkstyle development is doing us a disservice at the next level.

McCauley is good and seems to be improving. He did get beat by Alton and he also got dominated by Will Rowe 1-0, 6-0 at the last chance olympic qualifier. His match with Jason Tsirtsis was a good close match at Fila Jr. He won on leg clinch and 3-2. If i was his coach I would tell him to go to college. If he stays at OTC and does not win the world team spot in the next three years or win the olympic spot in 4 years would that be a failure? If Metcalf would have skipped college to train at OTC full time would he be on the Olympic team this year? Good luck to him and I hope this is what he wants.

I am going to go with 'no', it will not be a failure. He's still going to get his college education per OTC requirements.

Maybe he just isn't interested in the grind of folkstyle. Guys are coming out hobbled with persistent knee, shoulder, and hip degeneration from injury. It's entertaining to watch, and some wrestlers enjoy wrestling the style more, but the physical demands are significant. I think this comparison has long been this way too.