MSU158

Best Ever PSU wrestler

Cenzo has a solid shot at making this topic irrelevant. Definitely not the guy I would’ve picked even a year ago, but after two Imart beatdowns in a row, you cannot deny the man. I think it’ll be Cenzo in two years.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

If you go ONLY when officially wrestling for PSU, who would you pick?

Zain Retherford-  126-3 with a nearly 75% bonus rate and finishes of 5th,1st,1st,1st

Ed Ruth-136-3 with a bonus rate of nearly 80% and finishes of 3rd,1st,1st,1st

-----------------------------------------------------

It is the difference in Bonus rate and the 5th/3rd finish the first year that does it for me.

Both were exciting to watch. Same with many of the others on the list.

Penn State under Coach Sanderson is building a legacy few have or will ever match.

If you go ONLY when officially wrestling for PSU, who would you pick?

Zain Retherford-  126-3 with a nearly 75% bonus rate and finishes of 5th,1st,1st,1st

Ed Ruth-136-3 with a bonus rate of nearly 80% and finishes of 3rd,1st,1st,1st

-----------------------------------------------------

It is the difference in Bonus rate and the 5th/3rd finish the first year that does it for me.

Both were exciting to watch. Same with many of the others on the list.

Penn State under Coach Sanderson is building a legacy few have or will ever match.

I go with Zain because all of his losses were during the true freshman year.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

PSU has put astonishing talents on the mat in recent years.  Joseph, Hall, Nickal and Nolf will all be returning and not one of them had more than a couple close matches last season.  Retherford just finished up one of the most dominant careers in NCAA history.  Ruth and Taylor were equally spectacular.  I don't have a clue who to pick as best of that bunch although Joseph can "win" the argument if he ends up a four timer.  

Cael does amazing work with his prize recruits.  He's as impressive as a coach as he was as a competitor.  

myster1.gif?m=1407782525

D.D. Detar, captain of Penn State's first national championship team (front row, middle).   Detar became head coach the following year.  He was better than Ruth, Taylor, Nolf, etc.  Detar was also undefeated against Dake.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Right now it's Ed Ruth. Next year it will probably be a debate between Nolf, Nickal, and Ruth with Nolf likely getting most of the votes assuming he dominates everyone this year. If Joseph becomes a 4 timer I think you have to give that title to him even though he wasn't as dominate as the others. You just can't count any of the current guys now because nothing is a guarantee and you don't how they will finish. So the correct answer is Ed Ruth.

Cary Kolat

This would probably be the answer if the OP asked who was the best wrestler to ever wear the Penn State singlet. But he said counting only the years they were at penn state. Kolat never won a national title for PSU so he's not in the conversation for that.

How good was Taylor’s opposition in his two unbeaten years? No better than Zain’s.

4 time B1G champ is the tie breaker in Ruth's favor over Zain or Nolf.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How good was Taylor’s opposition in his two unbeaten years? No better than Zain’s.

I am comparing Zain's last 3 yrs vs Taylor's last 3 years. With no Dake, Taylor also would have been unbeaten those last 3 yrs.

You can’t talk about DT without mentioning he lost to one of the very best ever. How that’s even arguable is beyond me. He would’ve easily been the best PSU guy ever if not for Dake, in my opinion.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Not a knock on Zain and you can only beat who they put on the mat to oppose you, but he never faced anyone like Kyle Dake.

Zain is awesome still.

Well he did lose to, but also beat, a four time NCAA champ and would be world champ. In all fairness to everyone, Taylor never beat Dake and (to this point) Dake hasn’t won a world championship. Zain gets the nod on this one.

Zain would have been a 4 time champ if he redshirted his true freshman year.

Well he did lose to, but also beat, a four time NCAA champ and would be world champ. In all fairness to everyone, Taylor never beat Dake and (to this point) Dake hasn’t won a world championship. Zain gets the nod on this one.

But DT beat an Olympic champ at home. Whether you think that was at a JV event or not (I don’t), it’s significant and he has backed that up ever since. Anyway, these arguments about what happened years after college hold little water to me, but DT still has a very good if not better case even with those future outcomes considered.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

You can’t talk about DT without mentioning he lost to one of the very best ever. How that’s even arguable is beyond me. He would’ve easily been the best PSU guy ever if not for Dake, in my opinion.

This.

Zain lost 2x to Stieber and 1x to Port. Taylor 2x to Dake and 1x to Jenkins. Pretty much similar results. The best part isn't the 3 L's, it is the 100+ wins for each of them almost all of which are via bonus. 

Edited by TBar1977

Based on college only, its Ruth.  Highest average placing, only 3 loses, ridiculous bonus percentage. 

If Nolf runs the table this year he will eclipse Ruth, and one of Nolf's losses isn't a loss in the sense most of us think of wins and losses. He'd have won that match via bonus had he not got injured. I guess you could say the same for the Ruth loss at NCAA as there was an injury involved in that too. 

I wont go into "ever" but the best I've seen at Penn State is Taylor.   Zain is  close in terms of "best" but   Taylor gets it.   Too many images of a high schooler beating Zain down time and time again for me to give it to him.  

What high schooler did Zain lose to in college?  Also, regarding DT's losses, I would factor in that Zain never lost after his freshman year and his win over Stieber as a freshman was very more impressive than DT's wins.  Plus DT has 2 titles to Zain's 3.  I will say based on arguments presented at this point, Ruth would be the closest to Retherford.

Now, after next year, Nolf is real close and if Cenzo runs the table and especially if he doesnt' lose, he's got to be the top guy.

ps, didn't John Hughes finish 1,2,3,4?

What high schooler did Zain lose to in college? Also, regarding DT's losses, I would factor in that Zain never lost after his freshman year and his win over Stieber as a freshman was very more impressive than DT's wins. Plus DT has 2 titles to Zain's 3. I will say based on arguments presented at this point, Ruth would be the closest to Retherford.

Now, after next year, Nolf is real close and if Cenzo runs the table and especially if he doesnt' lose, he's got to be the top guy.

ps, didn't John Hughes finish 1,2,3,4?

But, if Zain doesnt redshirt he's likely only a two time champ.

It's very subjective, but I'll go with Ed Ruth best in NCAA with McCoy being the best overall.