MSU158

Best Ever PSU wrestler

Two things about everyone emphasizing Zane's 0-7 record against Pico....first, all of these losses were prior to his great three year college run (and indeed, he closed the gap on Pico somewhat per my general recollection).

Second, by far Zane;s best weapon is his ability to ride and turn and just plain break people in folkstyle, which he didn't get the chance to use against Pico since these were all freestyle matches.  It's not at all clear to me that if Pico had gone the NCAA route he'd have gotten the better of Zane.  Two minutes underneath him could be a complete game changer as we saw over and over again. 

Third, Pico was a world class wrestler already at that point,Pico also beat JO, Molinaro, Reece, Ness, (I think) Jimmy Kennedy and several world class foreign wrestlers.... he was an absolute prodigy.  So I wouldn't get too hung up on a younger wrestler beating him in freestyle.

Two things about everyone emphasizing Zane's 0-7 record against Pico....first, all of these losses were prior to his great three year college run (and indeed, he closed the gap on Pico somewhat per my general recollection).

Second, by far Zane;s best weapon is his ability to ride and turn and just plain break people in folkstyle, which he didn't get the chance to use against Pico since these were all freestyle matches.  It's not at all clear to me that if Pico had gone the NCAA route he'd have gotten the better of Zane.  Two minutes underneath him could be a complete game changer as we saw over and over again. 

Third, Pico was a world class wrestler already at that point,Pico also beat JO, Molinaro, Reece, Ness, (I think) Jimmy Kennedy and several world class foreign wrestlers.... he was an absolute prodigy.  So I wouldn't get too hung up on a younger wrestler beating him in freestyle.

This is the exact point I was making earlier. He wasnt just a high school kid.

You'd think a forum filled with wrestlers would understand the difference between FS and folk by now. Big difference. Look at the best FS wrestlers in the USA today: Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder, and James Green were all mediocre mat wrestlers: none of them was pinners or turners. Takedown artistry is their bag, and it converts perfectly to FS.

I have little doubt Zain would grind Pico to dust in a folk match. FS, yeah, Pico. But FS is only 1/2 a sport, imo.

Precisely. Ed Banach was “only” a 3x champ. But then again he lost to Mark Schultz his junior year in a match that had a few things in common with Taylor/Dake.

There was a difference. Banach was being celebrated as a Sure Thing for 4 NCAA Titles before he even won his third.

Mark Schultz moved up a weight to challenge him. The story is he did so to keep Banach from being a 4 time champ. Accurate or not, Schults was successful while Banach really looked as if he was not quite prepared. A very good match. 

What an incredible problem to have... prior to the Cael years, the similar analogy would be to have to pick the best Hawkeye wrestlers, or the best Okie State wrestlers.  But... the list that one can generate after only a "few" years of Cael is quite frankly, mind-boggling.

This type and level of domination in NCAA wrestling is something we should all behold, stand at attention to, and then figure out how to overcome.  Iowa's recruiting seems to have gone into overdrive, which is pretty incredible.  Watch out for those Hawkeyes.  

tOSU is gonna take some lumps I think, given the Strauss/Meyer situation, but... they were on the cusp of being in the conversation for asking the same question "Who's the best Buckeye wrestler ever".  In my homerism, it's Logie-Bear.  4x'er, 'nuff said.  Snyder is 2nd in terms of NCAA's, with his 2,1,1,1.  Toss in Snyder's 2WC And OLY Championship, and he blasts himself into 1st, and into the GOAT conversation as a whole. 

The response “Zain didn’t have to deal with a Dake like Taylor did”: is it fair to say...maybe that’s because he was the “Dake” that everyone else had to deal with? I mean yes he didn’t win it all his freshman year, but he did beat the four timer who did...and he didn’t lose again. Can we really hold it against him that he didn’t have a “so and so” to contend with, when he is that “so and so”?

The response “Zain didn’t have to deal with a Dake like Taylor did”: is it fair to say...maybe that’s because he was the “Dake” that everyone else had to deal with? I mean yes he didn’t win it all his freshman year, but he did beat the four timer who did...and he didn’t lose again. Can we really hold it against him that he didn’t have a “so and so” to contend with, when he is that “so and so”?

Zain lost to Port at NCAA's!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You'd think a forum filled with wrestlers would understand the difference between FS and folk by now. Big difference. Look at the best FS wrestlers in the USA today: Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder, and James Green were all mediocre mat wrestlers: none of them was pinners or turners. Takedown artistry is their bag, and it converts perfectly to FS.

I have little doubt Zain would grind Pico to dust in a folk match. FS, yeah, Pico. But FS is only 1/2 a sport, imo.

1/2 a sport?

What about WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS & Olympics?

Lurker claimed after Stieber beat him at B1G' and NCAA's that Zain "never lost again."

He was wrong.

I should clarify, by that I meant after that NCAA finish freshman year, he didn’t lose the last three...”didn’t lose again” may not of have led correctly...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Zain couldn't even handle the high school kids who bullied him into transferring. This eliminates him from "best ever" consideration.

yes lets victim shame some more, a young kid bullied by kids twice his size.

It really amazes me how Ed Ruth is trivialized even among PSU fans.

Ruth was every bit Taylor's equal during their time at PSU. I don't ever remember watching Ruth and think he is wrestling tight like Taylor did against Dake. Ruth always let it rip. I still like Ruth.