MSU158

Best Ever PSU wrestler

You said find a better gif, so I did... it was a joke, not an insult.  

I find it rather weak as they PG 13'd and changed what he actually said.  I am not an all star lip reader, but it is pretty obvious the 1st word started with a F instead of a S.

It really amazes me how Ed Ruth is trivialized even among PSU fans.

Ruth was every bit Taylor's equal during their time at PSU. I don't ever remember watching Ruth and think he is wrestling tight like Taylor did against Dake. Ruth always let it rip. I still like Ruth.

I’m with you on his college career, but it is impossible to ignore how his freestyle career ended and how easily DT toyed with him giving up weight in freestyle. It’s not entirely fair that freestyle factors into the discussion but the reality is that the styles are similar enough that when someone has an outlier result (good or bad) in freestyle during or shortly after college, people cannot avoid being influenced. JB’s stature among NCAA wrestlers is elevated because of what he did in freestyle. Ruth’s stellar career in college is tainted in the minds of the vast majority for the same reason. And it’s probably right, in my opinion. Edited by wrestlingnerd

Zain lost to Port at NCAA's!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, 3-1 (TB-2), when Port came into the tourney as the undefeated #1 seed.

His 3 career losses were to two guys that delivered the following results at NCAA:

4 titles (and he beat this guy)

2 runner-up finishes (one of which was to the guy who won 4 titles)

1 3rd place

1 R12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Zain couldn't even handle the high school kids who bullied him into transferring. This eliminates him from "best ever" consideration.

I don’t think that was the real reason for his transferring from Line Mountain to Benton (where Russ Hughes was the head coach).

He was using any excuse possible to sway the jury during the D-4 hearing at Warrior Run HS.

Didn’t matter much, as he used the year off as a Cadet Worlds redshirt season.

Edited by lu_alum

It really amazes me how Ed Ruth is trivialized even among PSU fans.

Ruth was every bit Taylor's equal during their time at PSU. I don't ever remember watching Ruth and think he is wrestling tight like Taylor did against Dake. Ruth always let it rip. I still like Ruth.

Taylor didn’t blow a 0.28 at Taco Bell in season on a Tuesday night.

He lost to Port as a True Freshman, and Port was #1 seed at NCAA's,   Port was a 2 time finalist and a 3rd.     Not exactly a bad loss.

Not a bad loss at all, but when you're talking about the BEST EVER, every loss is a negative. Close wins are a negative. Heck even solid regular decision wins are a negative.

Taylor didn’t blow a 0.28 at Taco Bell in season on a Tuesday night.

Topic is "best wrestler," not "best role model"

And Ed Ruth never tweeted from his couch that Nick Amuchastegui didn't give enough effort against Reader in the NCAA finals.  He just went out the next year and majored him. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie