TripNSweep

Ohio State scandal

So this really doesn't look good. Urban Meyer being aware that one of his assistant coaches had been beating his wife and does nothing about it for 3 years.  I would be surprised if he wasn't fired or something.  

Kind of reminds me of another thing that happened at Ohio State, where some other coaches failed to report a crime occurring.  

No charges were filed.

Is Zach Smith a douche? Yes. Did Urban know? Probably. If proven he did know then there is a violation of title 9 and he is probably gone. I would also have to say take a look at the Athletic Director also.

So this really doesn't look good. Urban Meyer being aware that one of his assistant coaches had been beating his wife and does nothing about it for 3 years.  I would be surprised if he wasn't fired or something.  

Kind of reminds me of another thing that happened at Ohio State, where some other coaches failed to report a crime occurring.  

Did the wife file charges? It not, than why does she want to take others down for something she refused to do?

Did the wife file charges? It not, than why does she want to take others down for something she refused to do?

That's called 'blaming the victim'.  Filing charges or even admitting abuse always seems difficult if not impossible by the abused. That's why there is so much of it.  But don't blame the victim.  Blame the abuser.  

She filed charges is 2009, but apparently was pressured by Urban Meyer’s “life coach” to drop them.

She was also able to successfully get a restraining order.

Edited by 1032004

No charges were filed.

Is Zach Smith a douche? Yes. Did Urban know? Probably. If proven he did know then there is a violation of title 9 and he is probably gone. I would also have to say take a look at the Athletic Director also.

Don’t think it’s s title 9 issue. Smiths wife is not a student or staff of the school.

While on the topic, Urban Meyer has a rep for recruiting the biggest scumbags imaginable. The gutter scum he brought into Florida (Tebow, mainly), for example. Just joking about Tebow by the way, but you guys all know about Hernandez. Plus lots of other gang banger types. All Meyer cares about is how well they play football, nothing else. It hardly surprises me that this latest incident would indicate that he feels similarly about his coaches: as long as they do the football side well, he couldn't care less what a ****head they are elsewhere.

Urban Meyer was a scumbag well before he tricked Florida out of his old contract. Ohio State sold their souls to the devil in desperation to try to win National Titles.

I'm sure OSU will put him on double secret probation and let him continue being the scumbag, highest paid employee in the state of Ohio.

My concern is this... regardless of "who" you are... Coach... Assistant Coach... VP... Worker Bee... Player... customer... where does it stop?  Where is the "line".  In all of these instances, the "bystander" is being criminalized.  

Quite frankly, the "crime" is related to the person.  I personally do not know if I care if someone knows/knew of "scenario A, B, or C" happening.  They are NOT involved in the crime.  They are NOT involved in the abuse.  They are NOT involved in the situation.  

So the "boss" keeps a person employed for something unrelated to their job.  I'm not sure if this is material to the individual and their effectiveness in the role.  Here's a great example.  Suppose you're a people manager.  You find out that your employee is doing something illegal... i dunno... maybe smoking Marijuana.  Your employee is a top performer.  They are breaking the law (clearly) as there are laws against smoking pot, and traditionally, workplaces have low/no tolerance for it... but... you also value your employee's contributions.  

Your employee gets caught by the VP of HR in some way, and they implicate you, the boss, as knowing that this was going on.  My question is... does it matter?  Is it the bosses fault?  Work is getting done.  Productivity is high.  Workplace is fine.  The boss doesn't have to necessarily "agree" to what the employee is doing on their own time, but if it's not impacting the job that they are hired for, does it matter?  Is it a depiction or articulation of character?  Potentially, but by whose moral authority and by which standard?  Is it more or less moral (per se) to be a silent bystander or to blow the whistle?  And... by which moral authority is that line being defined?  Some cultures find it obtuse to know ANYTHING or to intervene in anyone's predicament.  Others believe that its for the best "social good".  

In my humble of humblest opinions, this criminalization of the bystander is going a bit too far.  If you see a man strike a woman on the street... you know about it... are you guilty for not saying anything?  If you're the landlord, and your tenant is doing the same thing, is the landlord guilty? 

Where is the line?

While on the topic, Urban Meyer has a rep for recruiting the biggest scumbags imaginable. The gutter scum he brought into Florida (Tebow, mainly), for example. Just joking about Tebow by the way, but you guys all know about Hernandez. Plus lots of other gang banger types. All Meyer cares about is how well they play football, nothing else. It hardly surprises me that this latest incident would indicate that he feels similarly about his coaches: as long as they do the football side well, he couldn't care less what a ****head they are elsewhere.

Urban Meyer was a scumbag well before he tricked Florida out of his old contract. Ohio State sold their souls to the devil in desperation to try to win National Titles.

I'm sure OSU will put him on double secret probation and let him continue being the scumbag, highest paid employee in the state of Ohio.

Major college football is a scam.

Look at OU (player punches woman) and get back to us.

Heisman boy Mayfield publicy drunk scuffling with cops too. No big deal.

Why wasn't Bob Stoops immediately fired?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In my humble of humblest opinions, this criminalization of the bystander is going a bit too far.  If you see a man strike a woman on the street... you know about it... are you guilty for not saying anything?  If you're the landlord, and your tenant is doing the same thing, is the landlord guilty? 

Where is the line?

The "line" is whether or not you are a mandatory reporter and is clearly spelled out in law and/or employment contracts.  In Meyer's case, it looks like his contract with the university required him to report any "Intimate abuse" he knew about from someone on his staff.  

My concern is this... regardless of "who" you are... Coach... Assistant Coach... VP... Worker Bee... Player... customer... where does it stop?  Where is the "line".  In all of these instances, the "bystander" is being criminalized.  

Quite frankly, the "crime" is related to the person.  I personally do not know if I care if someone knows/knew of "scenario A, B, or C" happening.  They are NOT involved in the crime.  They are NOT involved in the abuse.  They are NOT involved in the situation.  

So the "boss" keeps a person employed for something unrelated to their job.  I'm not sure if this is material to the individual and their effectiveness in the role.  Here's a great example.  Suppose you're a people manager.  You find out that your employee is doing something illegal... i dunno... maybe smoking Marijuana.  Your employee is a top performer.  They are breaking the law (clearly) as there are laws against smoking pot, and traditionally, workplaces have low/no tolerance for it... but... you also value your employee's contributions.  

Your employee gets caught by the VP of HR in some way, and they implicate you, the boss, as knowing that this was going on.  My question is... does it matter?  Is it the bosses fault?  Work is getting done.  Productivity is high.  Workplace is fine.  The boss doesn't have to necessarily "agree" to what the employee is doing on their own time, but if it's not impacting the job that they are hired for, does it matter?  Is it a depiction or articulation of character?  Potentially, but by whose moral authority and by which standard?  Is it more or less moral (per se) to be a silent bystander or to blow the whistle?  And... by which moral authority is that line being defined?  Some cultures find it obtuse to know ANYTHING or to intervene in anyone's predicament.  Others believe that its for the best "social good".  

Where is the line?

If you know that one of your employees, co-workers, coaches etc... is beating his wife, you should probably report that individual to the authorities.  If you know that individual has a history of beating the wife, and you are presented with additional instances of it occurring on your watch &  you fail to notify the appropriate folks...you should be immediately fired.  Then, you should go talk with a priest, counselor, pastor etc...to try and understand why you are such a disgusting human being.    

If you know that one of your employees, co-workers, coaches etc... is beating his wife, you should probably report that individual to the authorities.  If you know that individual has a history of beating the wife, and you are presented with additional instances of it occurring on your watch &  you fail to notify the appropriate folks...you should be immediately fired.  Then, you should go talk with a priest, counselor, pastor etc...to try and understand why you are such a disgusting human being.  

If its that clearcut, fine.  In the instance we have being reported, the police were apparently involved in the earliest incidence.  I'm not sure exactly how someone should handle reports of things that he doesn't witness firsthand, especially if the victim is not willing to corroborate the story.  Obviously domestic violence issues are problematic because if the wife reports abuse, her husband loses his job.  That makes the whole situation a bit tricky to handle. 

As if this situation weren't messy enough, it now appears that James O Keefe, (the undercover candid camera guy who is ignored by the mainstream media usually) has just published some "interviews" with former Urban Meyer players from Florida who have non-flattering things to say about him as a coach.  It's on the project veritas website.  Not sure why he cared about any of this. 

I'm not a fan of Ohio State generally, but I'm finding all of this surprising. 

Edited by OldGrappler

If its that clearcut, fine.  In the instance we have being reported, the police were apparently involved in the earliest incidence.  I'm not sure exactly how someone should handle reports of things that he doesn't witness firsthand, especially if the victim is not willing to corroborate the story.  Obviously domestic violence issues are problematic because if the wife reports abuse, her husband loses his job.  That makes the whole situation a bit tricky to handle. 

As if this situation weren't messy enough, it now appears that James O Keefe, (the undercover candid camera guy who is ignored by the mainstream media usually) has just published some "interviews" with former Urban Meyer players from Florida who have non-flattering things to say about him as a coach.  It's on the project veritas website.  Not sure why he cared about any of this. 

I'm not a fan of Ohio State generally, but I'm finding all of this surprising. 

Who actually witnesses domestic abuse first-hand, aside from the wife?  According to the story, the beaten wife told all of the coaches wives.  Coaching wives are usually a very close knit group, so its logical to think that Meyer (and the others) caught wind of this immediately.  If I am being paid 6MM a year to lead a program, I am going to be damn sure that any potential red-flags that could harm my program are reported or looked into. 

Meyer clearly is focused on winning regardless of the types of people associated with the program.  Florida was a disgrace with the Pouncey brothers, Chris Rainey, Hernandez etc...They are all thugs. 

Big Time College Athletics is corrupt to the core.

I suppose we'll have to wait for the facts to come out through some law firm, and then we'll be able to make a judgement.... or not.

Meanwhile Meyer is on leave, whatever that means for a top 10 football coach in August. 

I suppose we'll have to wait for the facts to come out through some law firm, and then we'll be able to make a judgement.... or not.

Meanwhile Meyer is on leave, whatever that means for a top 10 football coach in August.

It means they are working out the severance

Haven't seen it mentioned here,but Meyer's wife is also an OSU employee.

I believe she's an instructor in the School of Nursing.

So I guess she would be subject to the same Title IX reporting requirements as any OSU employee.

Triggered much?  The way I read the above, you're insinuating that a person posing theoretical arguments (ahem... me...) is a disgusting human being.  I sincerely hope I am misinterpreting.  

My entire argument is about "moral authority" and who defines it.  Your "opinion" is that one "should probably" report that individual to the authorities.  OK.  Cool.  But I can gather quite a few people who have a drastically different belief system that are guided by their theology that would suggest otherwise.  Is their moral authority greater than, equal to, or less than... yours?

All I'm asking is "where is the line?", as the line is perceptively becoming closer to and closer to the penalization and the criminalization of "everyone".