TripNSweep

Ohio State scandal

So the Big Ten Championship game coming down to the last play is “far better”?

Wisconsin has yet to beat Urban Meyer in 5 tries, despite keeping it close a few times. OSU under Meyer has averaged 33 -16 scores over the 5 wins. That's not particularly close, btw, mostly due to the 59-0 scalping of the Badgers in 2014.

Granted, Wisconsin had a great record last year, chiefly due to a schedule about as intimidating as a bar fight with Don Knotts. 

Yes, Ohio State is FAR better than Wisconsin at football. Ohio State plays a far more challenging schedule than the Badgers do and generally dominate the Badgers in football. Don't take my word for it, check out the link at the bottom. Sig bet on the two teams this year?

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/ohio-state/vs/wisconsin

Edited by TobusRex

Meyer was never accused of more than simply having knowledge of abuse committed by someone else?

I’m no fan of tOSU, but seriously? You can jam a guy up over this?

I have a few hundred employees, and statistically speaking I likely have all kinds of twisted people working for me. I should hold their direct supervisors responsible for their behavior away from work?

Nuts

Edited by NJWC

This... this is the reason why I HATE the the current definition of "journalism".  Every article is an op-ed piece, and no one sticking to the "facts" as they stand.  Like him, hate him, love him, irritated by him, I don't care, but Pat Forde needs to keep his individual OPINION to himself.  Afterall, there are 200 Million + more opinions over the age of 18 that are JUST AS VALID.  What makes yours (Forde's) that much more important?  Is it because "I'm a journalist, hear me roar"?  Bull****.  Today's media is a more organized and financially supported version of this forum.  No more... No less.  

EDIT:  Also, the visceral tone of Forde's article is "outrageous".  I can guarantee, that every adult male over the age fo 30 has had a predicament in which they were aware, or were in an environment where actions occurred, and then did "nothing", whereby a law was broken.  It's a part of life, and until one is turning water into wine or healing the blind by laying hands on them... I highly suggest we ALL simmer down, take a deep breath, and knock of this notion of "everything is outrageous" tenor.  Why?  Because is everything is outrageous... nothing is outrageous.  

Edited by treep2000

Meyer was never accused of more than simply having knowledge of abuse committed by someone else?

I have a few hundred employees, and statistically speaking I likely have all kinds of twisted people working for me. I should hold their direct supervisors responsible for their behavior away from work?

Nuts

In some hyper-politically-correct version of the world that has suddenly placed the media to be our moral authority, and with the "mob rule" mentality of public opinion to be the judge, jury and executioner???? Yes.  Yes you ARE responsible.  It's just as disgusting as the actual perpetrator of the crime to induce this concept of "everyone's guilty".  Welcome to the USSA.  

The standard that the highest paid public employee in the state is (arguably) different than that of an ordinary citizen. What likely is not subjective in this setting are the moral clauses inserted into a guy like Meyer's contract. Additionally, I can assure you that "flexible" language has been included that would allow the university to get rid of him if he were to become a liability. So trying to take Meyer's situation and broadly apply it to the generally accepted standards of behavior of the broader population is fraught with challenges...and in exchange for accepting those standards imposed upon him, Meyer is a millionaire many times over.

Sounds like a pretty fair trade to me.

Paterno was held responsible for the actions of an ex-employee that had not worked for him during the past decade; actions which Paterno may or may not have known about or may or may not have believed; in any case, all hearsay to Paterno, nothing which he actually witnessed.

So yes. Precedent for holding employers responsible for hearsay allegations against (ex)employees in the world of college football is well established. It does not matter that Meyer's knowledge is hearsay, or that Meyer followed protocol, or that Smith may or may not be innocent or that firing Smith could result in a wrongful dismissal award.

Paterno was fired by the PSU board of trustees as they were trying to escape bad press regarding their past and present inaction. OSU board now finds themselves in a similar predicament (on more than one front). The easy PR move is to fire Meyer and it's the most probable outcome.

Meyer knows this and it looks like his most recent publicity initiative is positioning himself to leverage a big buyout. Paterno tried a press gambit (I'll resign at end of season) also; didn't turn out so well. If Meyer followed protocol and it was the administration that failed, Meyer's in pretty good position for a wrongful dismissal case, no?

At this point, what's fair, right, just, due process, rationale etc don't matter much. It's all about how badly the board members need to protect themselves and their reputations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/24249554/prosecutors-pursue-domestic-violence-charges-vs-nick-diaz-grand-jury-declining-indict

This... so... WHO ELSE KNEW?  Who else can take the fall along with Nick Diaz?  Why not Dana White?  Why not Henry Cejudo?  Did any of his training partners in the UFC know?  What about Dana White's parent company personnel?  

Wisconsin has yet to beat Urban Meyer in 5 tries, despite keeping it close a few times. OSU under Meyer has averaged 33 -16 scores over the 5 wins. That's not particularly close, btw, mostly due to the 59-0 scalping of the Badgers in 2014.

Granted, Wisconsin had a great record last year, chiefly due to a schedule about as intimidating as a bar fight with Don Knotts.

Yes, Ohio State is FAR better than Wisconsin at football. Ohio State plays a far more challenging schedule than the Badgers do and generally dominate the Badgers in football. Don't take my word for it, check out the link at the bottom. Sig bet on the two teams this year?

Iowa has had their butt's kicked by OSU many times over the years but not last year! They embarrassed the Buckeyes 55-14. Then my Hawks laid an egg in Wisconsin the next week.. go figure. Cant wait for the highs and lows of college football this year!

Meyer lied. In public.  No worming out of that one.  At the B10 media day, he said he only recently learned of the assistant coach's alleged domestic abuse when in fact he had known about it for years.  If uttering an outright lie in public regarding an issue like domestic violence is a fireable offense, he should be fired.  If it isn't, he should coach another day at OSU.  All that will be determined by the OSU administration, which is currently on overload with all the allegations surrounding current and former coaches and doctors.

As many have pointed out, it's not the supposed "offense" that gets these folks in the most trouble, but lying about it.  Tricky Dicky Nixon and Slick Willie prime examples from the realm of recent politics.

If he was completely open and truthful during the investigation and process, and then denied to the media when maybe he should have said no comment, I don’t have a big problem with that. Goof move, but nothing damaging.

Edited by Lurker

Meyer lied. In public. No worming out of that one. At the B10 media day, he said he only recently learned of the assistant coach's alleged domestic abuse when in fact he had known about it for years. If uttering an outright lie in public regarding an issue like domestic violence is a fireable offense, he should be fired. If it isn't, he should coach another day at OSU. All that will be determined by the OSU administration, which is currently on overload with all the allegations surrounding current and former coaches and doctors.

As many have pointed out, it's not the supposed "offense" that gets these folks in the most trouble, but lying about it. Tricky Dicky Nixon and Slick Willie prime examples from the realm of recent politics.

And what if he said to the smarmy leftists who dominate the media “**** off, questions about the sport only.”? Would that work?

And what if he said to the smarmy leftists who dominate the media “**** off, questions about the sport only.”? Would that work?

And if I were him, I would say it to the rest of the media too - no reason to limit such rudeness only to the "smarmy leftists," right? 

Nuts

If they know an employee is beating his wife and kids and don't report it, yes.  Just the same way a teacher is held accountable if kids come in and report their parents have beaten them. Just because you aren't the victim doesn't mean you shouldn't report it.

Meyer's situation has about 10 layers and is much deeper.

And if I were him, I would say it to the rest of the media too - no reason to limit such rudeness only to the "smarmy leftists," right?

Yes, though the other two media members that don’t identify as self righteous communists typically have better manners.

If they know an employee is beating his wife and kids and don't report it, yes. Just the same way a teacher is held accountable if kids come in and report their parents have beaten them. Just because you aren't the victim doesn't mean you shouldn't report it.

Meyer's situation has about 10 layers and is much deeper.

So the nation’s citizens should now become judge, jury and executioner regarding suspected malfeasance of any and all fellow citizens? Nah, no overreacting there. Edited by NJWC

Nuts

No one is holding Meyer responsible for Smith’s actions. Mainly just saying when he learned about it (the second time at minimum), Smith probably should have been fired then. Or at least not publicly lied about it since he’s now apparently blaming the administration.

If you learned that one of your employee’s beat their wife, would they keep their job? Especially if you had “Treat Women With Respect” written on your office walls?

What I find interesting about this situation is most of what I’m reading seems to suggest that Smith isn’t that great of a coach anyway. Yet until he was recently fired he was apparently the only coach that was at tOSU for Meyer’s entire tenure (and of course coached under him at Florida as well). So not only did he manage to keep his job despite multiple domestic violence issues, he kept it even longer than everyone else despite not being a great coach to begin with.

Edited by 1032004

So the nation’s citizens should now become judge, jury and executioner regarding suspected malfeasance of any and all fellow citizens? Nah, no overreacting there.

No, you report a potential crime...especially ABUSE to the authorities and then they investigate.  That means you are doing your due diligence as a citizen to help others. I would really hate to see someone close to you beaten and raped and no witnesses step forward because they don't feel they need to report it.

In your fantasy world you see someone get murdered you don't report it because you weren't the victim. I'm glad there are a few people that are witnesses to crimes that actually report what they saw to the authorities. 

This subject shouldn't be that hard to grasp, but it seems it is.

No one is holding Meyer responsible for Smith’s actions. Mainly just saying when he learned about it (the second time at minimum), Smith probably should have been fired then. Or at least not publicly lied about it since he’s now apparently blaming the administration.

If you learned that one of your employee’s beat their wife, would they keep their job? Especially if you had “Treat Women With Respect” written on your office walls?

What I find interesting about this situation is most of what I’m reading seems to suggest that Smith isn’t that great of a coach anyway. Yet until he was recently fired he was apparently the only coach that was at tOSU for Meyer’s entire tenure (and of course coached under him at Florida as well). So not only did he manage to keep his job despite multiple domestic violence issues, he kept it even longer than everyone else despite not being a great coach to begin with.

Smith's grandfather was a mentor for Meyer and thus why he stuck around so long. His grandfather died this spring...and then he's let go, eerie coincidence I'd say.

That would work better than a lie.  Next question.

And "smarmy leftists" who dominate the media?  Like Sean Hannity, Alex Jones, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Tucker Carlson, Dana Loesch, anyone who writes for Breitbart, Infowars, Fox News, the Drudge Report, etc.?  Amongst the most popular and visible media personalities and sites, yet the media is "leftist."  

I'd write more but I've got an ammo delivery at the front door for when Obama and the government stormtroopers come for my weapons...

Edited by Coach_J

That would work better than a lie. Next question.

And "smarmy leftists" who dominate the media? Like Sean Hannity, Alex Jones, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Tucker Carlson, Dana Loesch, anyone who writes for Breitbart, Infowars, Fox News, the Drudge Report, etc.? Amongst the most popular and visible media personalities and sites, yet the media is "leftist."

I'd write more but I've got an ammo delivery at the front door for when Obama and the government stormtroopers come for my weapons...

The traditional mainstream media is leftist. There's no denying that Coach J.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No, you report a potential crime...especially ABUSE to the authorities and then they investigate. That means you are doing your due diligence as a citizen to help others. I would really hate to see someone close to you beaten and raped and no witnesses step forward because they don't feel they need to report it.

In your fantasy world you see someone get murdered you don't report it because you weren't the victim. I'm glad there are a few people that are witnesses to crimes that actually report what they saw to the authorities.

This subject shouldn't be that hard to grasp, but it seems it is.

When I was in my last semester of college, two friends and I caught an attempted rapist and burglar next door to my rented house. We beat him half to death and held him for the authorities. I came back twice (by flight) at my own expense to testify against the ****bag. This in spite of a couple of threats by his gangbanger buddies.

I would certainly get invloved. It made front page of the local newspaper, including pic of us w our dog.

What I’m saying is, the world is full of morons. You don’t need an idiot populace jumping to conclusions about things they typically don’t have a complete picture of, and injecting themselves into the situation.

You hate a guy at work? Your neighbor? The guy who just bought a Bentley? Accuse him of something.

That would work better than a lie. Next question.

And "smarmy leftists" who dominate the media? Like Sean Hannity, Alex Jones, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Tucker Carlson, Dana Loesch, anyone who writes for Breitbart, Infowars, Fox News, the Drudge Report, etc.? Amongst the most popular and visible media personalities and sites, yet the media is "leftist."

I'd write more but I've got an ammo delivery at the front door for when Obama and the government stormtroopers come for my weapons...

You name fox personalities, then list Fox News as a separate entity. Nice try.

NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, their respective holding companies, nearly all print media, all studios in Hollywood...need I continue?

Fox is the biggest, but the only mainstream right leaning outlet.

Edited by NJWC

Wisconsin finished with the 14th hardest strength of schedule ranking, in the nation.