Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Pinning (or pin fall for CP)

I follow wrestling religiously, but I never understood why pinning isnt more prevalent in freestyle.  We are the best pinners in the world, as DT has proved.  Why dont freestylers go for the pin more.  Ends match instantly.  No statement by me here, but curious as why you dont see more freestylers going for the pin? 

I think Taylor is just a freakazoid pin or be pinned type of guy. He was pinned by Bubba and Dake, and in both matches he probably could have avoided getting into those situations knowing his opponent. Can’t think of many others other than Askren.

Because most of the time, everybody is going for turns.  The refs aren't going to let you sit there forever on top of a guy to look for a half or cradle of some kind like folk.  I think one of Taylor's advantages IS that he is using a lot of folk techniques in his freestyle career.  The other international guys aren't ready for those techniques because they don't see them that often.

Yes, most international guys are looking to turn and repeat the turns (leg laces, gut wrenches, etc.)  And so they expect that as well of opponents. 

Taylor transitions so quickly and smoothly from one position to the next and wrestles through everything.  In contrast to others, his folkstyle technique is so good and so habitual (second nature) that he looks for the fall off the turn rather than just another turn.  He can go from a seemingly more innocuous tilt to a dangerous pinning combination in a quick second.  Taylor also uses the cradle very effectively. 

Snyder was never (or very very rarely) one to pin in folkstyle.  Taylor has really learned to adapt folkstyle and chain wrestling to freestyle.  It will be interesting to see if others like Nolf or Nickal can do this without giving up constant exposure points.  Spencer Lee has arguably already figured out a way to do hybrid wrestling as well.   

Taylor and others might end up revealing (contra the anti-folkstyle freestylers) that years of high school and college wrestling aren't necessarily a detriment on the international scene.