dmm53

Flo's silence on the Ohio State accusations & Jim Jordan story

I think a legit coach TODAY would likely force the doc out if he found the doc was abusing his kids. But that was a different era. Plus, although I despise Jordan, he was just an assistant.

This... 

Part of our collective problem, that I too fall prey to, is the usage of certain nomenclature in passing.  Words have real meaning.  Real impact.  It just depends on the matter of convenience at that time.  

When speaking of alcohol... when we all turned 18, we would march in the streets in protest if it meant that the drinking age would be lowered to 18.  Why?  Because we were old enough to join the military and take a bullet for our country, but not old enough to drink a beer?  We were ADULTS!

When speaking of this situation... those 18-22 are "just kids", and cannot defend themselves. 

I dunno... I come from a VERY small town in the midwest.  Population ~500.  I did go to college.  I wrestled briefly before Title IX ripped it away my sophomore year.  My retirement began.  However, I was a "adult" gosh darn it.  And... to prove it, I had no issues speaking my mind, and exercising my right to blast anyone who I felt was doing wrong by me.  My individual moral compass was true.... true when I was 18/19, and true to this day.  Given this... there is no way I would have "allowed" something like this to occur, unless I was "allowing it".  I'm sorry... call me old fashioned... but... my personal space is defined by me, and me alone.  Violate that, and... quite frankly, the person on the receiving end will not like their situation.

The more we "coddle" the concept of the 18-22 year old being kids, we continue to contradict ourselves in our various positions.  I suggest that they are adults, should fend for themselves, and blow their own whistles, AT THAT TIME... NOT 20 years later when #metoo makes it convenient.

This... 

Part of our collective problem, that I too fall prey to, is the usage of certain nomenclature in passing.  Words have real meaning.  Real impact.  It just depends on the matter of convenience at that time.  

When speaking of alcohol... when we all turned 18, we would march in the streets in protest if it meant that the drinking age would be lowered to 18.  Why?  Because we were old enough to join the military and take a bullet for our country, but not old enough to drink a beer?  We were ADULTS!

When speaking of this situation... those 18-22 are "just kids", and cannot defend themselves. 

I dunno... I come from a VERY small town in the midwest.  Population ~500.  I did go to college.  I wrestled briefly before Title IX ripped it away my sophomore year.  My retirement began.  However, I was a "adult" gosh darn it.  And... to prove it, I had no issues speaking my mind, and exercising my right to blast anyone who I felt was doing wrong by me.  My individual moral compass was true.... true when I was 18/19, and true to this day.  Given this... there is no way I would have "allowed" something like this to occur, unless I was "allowing it".  I'm sorry... call me old fashioned... but... my personal space is defined by me, and me alone.  Violate that, and... quite frankly, the person on the receiving end will not like their situation.

The more we "coddle" the concept of the 18-22 year old being kids, we continue to contradict ourselves in our various positions.  I suggest that they are adults, should fend for themselves, and blow their own whistles, AT THAT TIME... NOT 20 years later when #metoo makes it convenient.

Victim blaming, that's a great angle to take. 

That is one of the biggest reasons people don't report sexual abuse, because it is ingrained into their heads that it is THEIR fault. 

That is one of the biggest reasons people don't report sexual abuse, because it is ingrained into their heads that it is THEIR fault. 

treep did not claim it was their fault they were abused, he simply said if they were abused they should have reported it at the time. I have no problem with them bringing their issue to light, what I have a big problem with is placing blame where it does not belong. The blame belongs to Strauss. The fact NOBODY did enough to stop Strauss is a testament to how nebulous his actions were viewed by those people in that time period. 

Did I ever, in my post, suggest anything of the sort?  NOPE.  Instead, I suggested EMPOWERMENT... and to NOT treat 18 year olds like children.  

Making stuff up... that's a great angle to take.  

That is one of the biggest reasons people take offense to this forum, because it's ingrained into their heads to troll and make stuff up.

I have to say something else here.

The fact we have all spent so much time on an assistant wrestling coach and what he knew or did not know about a now dead perv doctor who can't any longer harm anyone and not the myriad other much larger societal problems is telling. Sixty three people shot in Chicago last weekend, people in hoods swinging hammers at other people, human and drug traffickers all over the place, people targeting police ...etc. These are far larger issues than what Jim Jordan knew or didn't know. But nobody here peeps up about any of that. 

Know this. Jim Jordan will be replaced by someone just like him if this witch hunt succeeds, because that is how politics works. You are all better off focusing on more important issues than Jim Jordan. Sex abuse can be one of them because that IS important. What Jordan knew or didn't know is trivial compared to other things.

Edited by TBar1977