Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Cejudo captures UFC title over one of P4P best champs ever.

Olympic champ Cejudo over Demetrius Johnson by split decision. Redemption from the last fight with DJ and the 125 title finally changes hands after 6 years. Two additional years of strike training helped Henry nullify some of Johnson’s striking advantage. Cejudo used his wrestling takedown to gain some key advantages in the fight wins over one of the best fighters to ever step in the octagon. Fight was is doubt early when Henry had a bad calf injury before to many shots occurred but he came back from that and keep the pressure on the former champ. No doubt there will be a 3rd fight after this one.

Fighters with primary wrestling backgrounds are once again taking control of most of the UFC titles.

Edited by MadMardigain

Johnson a p4p best champion ever?      Interesting, who are his best wins over?      

And a huge kudos to Henry.  Yes it's only 125 where there is hardly any talent, but it's over a long time champ who has owned the shallow weight division.   I really like his comments regarding moving up and challenging himself against the best guys up at 135 where there is MUCH more talent.   TJ would be a very tough bout due to his movement, but either way a wrestler wins.    Fun fights once the co main arrived.  

Mighty Mouse is amazing!  Before losing the belt last night, DJ was being pressured from all sides to fight TJ for a super payday.  I picked Henry in the upset, and I believe he won, but it was split decision close in my book.  I don't think Henry or DJ would have much success against a bigger stronger Dillashaw.

Johnson a p4p best champion ever? Interesting, who are his best wins over?

And a huge kudos to Henry. Yes it's only 125 where there is hardly any talent, but it's over a long time champ who has owned the shallow weight division. I really like his comments regarding moving up and challenging himself against the best guys up at 135 where there is MUCH more talent. TJ would be a very tough bout due to his movement, but either way a wrestler wins. Fun fights once the co main arrived.

UFC bantamweight that Cejudo just won is 135.

Henry Cejudo, the new 125lb Flyweight Champion and the first person to win a UFC championship and an Olympic gold medal. He had a classy message after the fight...

UFC | INTERVIEW | POST-FIGHT August 4, 2018

Question - What’s more satisfying, that Olympic gold or being the UFC champion?

Henry - “Aww man, I’m going, uh, I’m going to have to say, that Olympic gold man. I think that will always be my baby man. I mean at the age of 21, winning, shocking the world, putting (on) that American flag, representing the best of the best, and uh, I think as of now guys, and I appreciate what the UFC has done; even beating the pound for pound best fighter.

But being an Olympic champion will always be my… My greatest accomplishment!”

Later - “Now thank you guys so much. Man, this is a true testament of somebody that believes in himself, and that will never give up and this is; This is for all the kids out there that are watching. I… You guys never stop believing, never stop working hard and things will fall into place.

Edited by OKnowwhut

I wouldn't imagine Henry holds that UFC belt (which are given out like candy nowadays) any where near where he views the Olympic gold.    There's probably less then 5 world level elite guys at 125 competing in MMA.    Henry, DJ, Benevidez, and maybe Pettis.   There really isn't much more out there than them.       A very shallow talent pool.   Mighty Mouse best win that I'm aware of is over Henry when Henry was still quite green.    Or Dodson perhaps.    Either way, not exactly MMA world beaters.      Benevidez I guess could be argued his best win.    He had a draw at 125 and he's lost at 135.      Big fish, small pond.    I'm interested in what Henry can do now that he's got the belt.      

125 may not have the deepest talent pool, but there’s nothing DJ can do about that. His skills, abilities, and level of domination are on par with any name that can be throw out there.

He could accept challenges from 135 pounders who offer to come down and challenge him for his title.   That = talent influx for that bout into the division.   He hasn't been willing to do that.   He's been opposed to it and he has personally kept that talent out of the division.  Of course most of the blame is on Dana White and his inability to stock this division with more talent.    Look at at 145 where they crowned a champion between 2, 135 pounders (Holly Holm and GDR).   That bout occurring when only a single fighter was signed to 145, (cyborg).     And who has Cyborg defended now 3 times against?    3 other 135 pounders.   So at least in her case she welcomes fighters from other divisions in order to have opponents, Mouse just isn't willing to do that.     Who does Henry call out for his first fight as champ?   A 135 pounder.      

Henry would do better at 135 than DJ because he is a bigger 125, and wouldn't be too small or weak at 135 and his wrestling is at the highest level, which DJ's isn't. Wrestling is a great equalizer when it comes to slowing down a fight, which is what he'll have to do against a bigger, more well rounded Dillashaw. Personally, I think Dillashaw, who is a very good wrestler in his own right, would win, but Henry is more suited IMO than DJ to beat him.

Henry would do better at 135 than DJ because he is a bigger 125, and wouldn't be too small or weak at 135 and his wrestling is at the highest level, which DJ's isn't. Wrestling is a great equalizer when it comes to slowing down a fight, which is what he'll have to do against a bigger, more well rounded Dillashaw. Personally, I think Dillashaw, who is a very good wrestler in his own right, would win, but Henry is more suited IMO than DJ to beat him.

CSAC released weigh-in numbers from fight time with fully re-hydrated fighters.  Johnson was the heavier man at 142 lbs at fight time.  Some guys just look undersized but are not.  Dillashaw was only like 7 lbs heavier than Johnson at fight time.  Johnson clearly has the weight for 135 if he ever wanted tougher fights, he just chooses to stay disciplined and fight at 125.  Nothing wrong with that, but he is not actually a small 125.