Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

2008 Olympic Team

Ben Askren: undefeated MMA career although it comes with the asterisk of never fighting in “the big show”

Daniel Cormier: First man to hold light heavyweight and heavyweight UFC belts at the same time

Henry Cejudo: Wins the rematch over the one of the most dominant UFC champs there’s been, in a 25 minute fight, becoming the first athlete ever to win Olympic and UFC gold, staking a claim as one of the greatest combat sport athletes of all time.

Not bad...

Ben Askren: undefeated MMA career although it comes with the asterisk of never fighting in “the big show”

Daniel Cormier: First man to hold light heavyweight and heavyweight UFC belts at the same time

Henry Cejudo: Wins the rematch over the one of the most dominant UFC champs there’s been, in a 25 minute fight, becoming the first athlete ever to win Olympic and UFC gold, staking a claim as one of the greatest combat sport athletes of all time.

Not bad...

Cormier didn't wrestle either.  He almost died trying to make weight after binge eating McDonalds for months after the trials.  

Cejudo was a champ at the 2008 Olympics. Askren went 1-1 at the 2008 Olympics. Cormier didn't compete at the 2008 Olympics. 

What's more interesting to me is the continued dominance of former wrestlers at the elite levels of MMA. That dominance suggests that wrestling is truly effective as a martial art. 125 lb champ Cejudo was an Olympic champion. 135 lb champ Dillashaw was a D1 wrestler.  155 lb champ Khabib has a background in freestyle, judo, and sambo. 170 lb champ Woodley was a D1 wrestler. 205 lb champ and HWT champ Cormier was a D1 wrestler and world medalist.  Additionally, since 2015, 185 lb champ Whittaker has competed in freestyle events. Of the current men's UFC champs, only 145 lb champ Holloway is missing from this list.

Edited by Katie

Pretty remarkable what those 3 have accomplished in UFC/MMA.   Last night was special seeing one wrestler take the belt from a dude considered one  of the best fighters out there.    Very cool and then TJ closed the night with another wrestler dominant in his title defense.    Garbrandt may have wrestled also.  Not sure on that though.   

That dominance suggests that wrestling is truly effective as a martial art.

Damn straight. I realize it's pretty arrogant, but I have no respect at all for non-grapplers when it comes to fighting. Non-grapplers are easy to beat up, all you have to do is take 'em down and start the abuse.

Edited by TobusRex

GArbrand, I believe was a very accomplished Ohio high school wrestler but not college. This is what I believe I heard, but can't really remember and don't feel like fact checking. Sorry Cletus.

two time state finalist & one time champ in Ohio

ended up focusing on his boxing career afterwards.  who knows how high his ceiling was.

Cejudo was a champ at the 2008 Olympics. Askren went 1-1 at the 2008 Olympics. Cormier didn't compete at the 2008 Olympics. 

What's more interesting to me is the continued dominance of former wrestlers at the elite levels of MMA. That dominance suggests that wrestling is truly effective as a martial art. 125 lb champ Cejudo was an Olympic champion. 135 lb champ Dillashaw was a D1 wrestler.  155 lb champ Khabib has a background in freestyle, judo, and sambo. 170 lb champ Woodley was a D1 wrestler. 205 lb champ and HWT champ Cormier was a D1 wrestler and world medalist.  Additionally, since 2015, 185 lb champ Whittaker has competed in freestyle events. Of the current men's UFC champs, only 145 lb champ Holloway is missing from this list.

on this topic - i took a look at ESPN's top ten p4p rankings (as of july 11).  pretty astounding:

1. Demetrius Johnson - State Wrestling Finalist

2. Daniel Cromier - D1 AA/Olympian

3. Khabib Nurmagomedov - trains in Dagestan, nuff said

4. Max Holloway 

5. Tyron Woodley - D1 AA

6. TJ Dillishaw - D1 wrestler

7. Robert Whittaker
8. Georges St Pierre - has spent a vast amount of time with wrestling training, contemplated entering OTT in canada
9. Tony Ferguson - HS State Champ/NCWA Champ  
10. Stipe Miocic - D1 wrestler

What's more interesting to me is the continued dominance of former wrestlers at the elite levels of MMA. That dominance suggests that wrestling is truly effective as a martial art. 125 lb champ Cejudo was an Olympic champion. 135 lb champ Dillashaw was a D1 wrestler. 155 lb champ Khabib has a background in freestyle, judo, and sambo. 170 lb champ Woodley was a D1 wrestler. 205 lb champ and HWT champ Cormier was a D1 wrestler and world medalist. Additionally, since 2015, 185 lb champ Whittaker has competed in freestyle events. Of the current men's UFC champs, only 145 lb champ Holloway is missing from this list.

Romero is the real 205lb Champion. Edited by WreslingSuperior

on this topic - i took a look at ESPN's top ten p4p rankings (as of july 11).  pretty astounding:

1. Demetrius Johnson - State Wrestling Finalist

2. Daniel Cromier - D1 AA/Olympian

3. Khabib Nurmagomedov - trains in Dagestan, nuff said

4. Max Holloway 

5. Tyron Woodley - D1 AA

6. TJ Dillishaw - D1 wrestler

7. Robert Whittaker
8. Georges St Pierre - has spent a vast amount of time with wrestling training, contemplated entering OTT in canada
9. Tony Ferguson - HS State Champ/NCWA Champ  
10. Stipe Miocic - D1 wrestler

7. Robert Whittaker became  his  countries rep in freestyle wrestling for the Commonwealth Games this year.       Team member. 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/ufc-middleweight-champion-rob-whittaker-wins-commonwealth-games-wrestling-spot/news-story/9b8622096bb16db2a3260bd327a904cf

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

GArbrand, I believe was a very accomplished Ohio high school wrestler but not college. This is what I believe I heard, but can't really remember and don't feel like fact checking. Sorry Cletus.

State champ. Very good wrestler. Could’ve competed in d1 if college was in the cards for him but it wasn’t.

Despite what Khabib says, he is definitely a wrestler, he has been training wrestling for many years in Dagestan, since he was a kid, not Sambo.

Was he one of the guys who put his time in but couldn't hang with the top guys. Kinda like a NCAA round of 12 guy in the US.

Was he one of the guys who put his time in but couldn't hang with the top guys. Kinda like a NCAA round of 12 guy in the US.

I don't think that's the case here.  His focus was just more spread out.  

I've read that he gets the better of Ed Ruth in practice in grappling, which I find hard to believe but if true it's very impressive.  

State champ. Very good wrestler. Could’ve competed in d1 if college was in the cards for him but it wasn’t.

I believe he pinned Virginia Tech/Graham’s Zach Neibert in the finals his junior year then maybe Neibert beat him senior year.