Sign in to follow this  
wfan24

Coach Anatoli Margiev interview: Ramonov is at 20%

Interview with famous coach Anatoli Margiev (coach of many world and olympic champs):

source: http://www.wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_turnirov/chempionat_rossii_po_vol_noj_bor_be_2018/anatolij_margiev_segodnja_mi_vidim_lish_20_procentov_ot_togo_ramonova_chto_bil_v_rio

"Ramonov was not ready for the Russian Nationals -- he had troubles with his knees, and today, during the match with David Baev, he also injured his ankle. But I would not say this is the main problem.

First, there is a question to how the draw was done. Why did Ramonov end up back to back wrestling the strongest wrestlers at this weight? Ramonov was really tired after the match with Jebaev (a new Russian hopeful), and right after this it was clear that to reach the finals will be hard. I even told him right after: "how are you going to wrestle after this match even?" For the match with Gadjimagomedov, he simply did not recover. In general, Jerbaev is a hard opponent. In fact, at the Nusuev Memorial, he won against Baev and Gadjimagomedov, and lost the final to Ramonov. Its been a while since Ramonov has entered quality competitions. He was not ready conditioning wise. This is the first issue.

Second, Ramonov needs to stop flying in the clouds and get back to Earth. We are in 2018 not 2016, yet he wants to win today like he did in Rio in 2016. But then he was really prepared, while today, he is at 20% at most from his shape from Rio. 

So, in 2020 in Tokyo, will he go to 74kg or go back to 65kg? 

Of course, he will go back to 65kg. His weight is still the same as it was in 2016. But when, I am not sure yet.

What about Tsabolov's loss?

Tsabolov was also injured and I can say that today he wrestled well, reached the final. He did not have a good preparation and because of that he made a mistake. Today, Tsabolov is stronger and more powerful than Sidakov and has more experience. Still, Sidakov is growing well. There is nothing dangerous in Tsabolov's loss.

Where is Otsarsultanov?

He did not prepare for Russian nationals because his mother died. This happened not long ago and he simply did not prepare for the nationals. And also, I think Musukaev was screwed in the judging.

What about Tsakulov at 92kg? He was in your U-23 team

I can say that this guy wrestles all 6 minutes. He is constantly improving. He has a very interesting, hidden way of attacking, he is gifted to attack exactly at the time when the opponent does not expect and he does it very effectively.

Like this comment:  "There is nothing dangerous in Tsabolov's loss."  So many want to declare the sky falling because JB and Snyder lost at the Dogu.  Who cares about a loss in a tune-up competition?  Chamizo's loss at BTS didn't seem to doom him at Dogu.  Losses are great measuring sticks, motivators, and teachers on the way to the bigger stage.

Like this comment:  "There is nothing dangerous in Tsabolov's loss."  So many want to declare the sky falling because JB and Snyder lost at the Dogu.  Who cares about a loss in a tune-up competition?  Chamizo's loss at BTS didn't seem to doom him at Dogu.  Losses are great measuring sticks, motivators, and teachers on the way to the bigger stage.

My favorite Woody Hayes line will forever be: "Nothing cleanses the soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."  We usually need these losses. 

Like this comment: "There is nothing dangerous in Tsabolov's loss." So many want to declare the sky falling because JB and Snyder lost at the Dogu. Who cares about a loss in a tune-up competition? Chamizo's loss at BTS didn't seem to doom him at Dogu. Losses are great measuring sticks, motivators, and teachers on the way to the bigger stage.

Agree to a point but I’m not sure losing in the finals of your national tournament is a great way to measure yourself. He darn well may have lost the spot because of that loss.

Agree to a point but I’m not sure losing in the finals of your national tournament is a great way to measure yourself. He darn well may have lost the spot because of that loss.

I think in their system it's a factor but not the sole deciding factor.  How they do in international meets and in training camps is weighed with the nationals performance, and they take into consideration injury and other factors like bad calls.