Sign in to follow this  
wfan24

Interview with Sadulaev: I will be at 97kg

With Sadulaev, source:

http://wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_turnirov/chempionat_rossii_po_vol_noj_bor_be_2018/abdulrashid_sadulaev_obichno_v_jeto_vremja_ja_splju_a_segodnja_viigral_chempionat_rossii

"This time, it was a bit easier than last year -- said Sadulaev -- I now felt the opponent better. I think from here on, things will be easier. You know, the hardest part for me was to actually wait for the finals until 11pm. I usually sleep at this time, but today I won Russian nationals (smiles)."

Did you ever wrestle that late?

Only when I was a kid when there were lots of participants in the tournament, so not really.

What did you do today?

I was resting, preparing for the final. After the morning weigh-in at 8:30am, I went to rest thinking that around 7pm I will be wrestling. But you saw what happened.

How much did you weigh-in then?

The first day I weighed in at 95.7kg, and today at 94.5kg. I guess I had 3 hard matches yesterday so my weight went down.

Before the worlds, will you gain weight? Your foreign opponents all weigh more than 100kg at match time...

I really don't want to gain weight by artificial means. The weight I have now is enough for me. Did I look smaller than my opponents? But before the worlds, I will need to really prepare so that I am ready for the main competition of the year. There is little time left to the worlds, and even though I want to rest a bit, I cannot, as we are starting the preparation.

You saw the kind of comments my main opponent (he means Snyder) made about me, I hope that he now finally realizes that I will be at 97kg for good. So this match, which everyone is expecting, should happen in the Fall.

You only did one gut wrench the whole tournament. Was this your plan or were the opponents just heavier so your technique does not work out?

Well, of course, the opponents are heavier and here I need to approach the matches a bit differently. Anyway, its different opponents and I need to find different keys to each of them. I need to trick them a little bit and also build my game around speed.

How were the fans at Odincovo? The support was the same it seemed as it was in the Europeans at Dagestan?

I want to thank everyone who was supporting me. I felt the support of the fans, so thank you.

Call me a cynic, but I don't believe anything people are saying about his weight. Covering for last year still.  

What are you trying to imply? There are literally pictures of him weighing in on scales at that weight, unless you think the scales are rigged for him.

Not sure they will be separated this time around. With the repechage system its very likely 1 of Sadulaev, Snyder or Alborov do not medal.

Yeah it’s ridiculous

They should separate Sadulaev and Snyder. It is good for them, for the purity of the sport and certainly for the fans.

What is a bit surprising is Sad thinks he is big enough, he clearly is not, he is smaller than the others. 

He can be smaller than most at the weight, and still "big enough" to win gold.  It seems pretty clear he believes it was his lack of preparation last year and not Snyder's size advantage that made the difference.  We'll see soon enough, unless Alborov plays spoiler, and Alborov is a "small" 97kg in his own right.  

Why people would lie about his weight when it is plainly obvious that he gives up at least 10 lbs to just about everyone is beyond me. He is cleary small for the weight.

I have Sadulaev winning this time around to set up the most epic trilogy match in the history of the sport next year.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

It's a weight class sport.  There are no significant size advantages outside of heavyweight.  You are already matched against guys almost exactly your size.  For a guy to weigh in 3-4 lbs light is not a big deal and does not decide wrestling matches.  Especially when the guy has his choice of weight class.  Sad is one of the best ever and is 2 full years away from 86 KG.  He doesn't need any excuses from message board posters when he goes 97. 

But pretending a guy isn't smaller then his competitors is even dumber.  Sadulaev is small for this weight.  No way around it.  

It's a weight class sport.  There are no significant size advantages outside of heavyweight.  You are already matched against guys almost exactly your size.  For a guy to weigh in 3-4 lbs light is not a big deal and does not decide wrestling matches.  Especially when the guy has his choice of weight class.  Sad is one of the best ever and is 2 full years away from 86 KG.  He doesn't need any excuses from message board posters when he goes 97. 

But pretending a guy isn't smaller then his competitors is even dumber.  Sadulaev is small for this weight.  No way around it.  

there are ways around it..namely that I think it's more likely that he is lying than that he is wrestling the wrong weight for no reason. 

When some evidence pops up I'll acknowledge it.

Snyder is not a huge 213 either. It actually is his perfect weight. He could go 203 if he had to. So the size between Snyder and Sad is not that great. It is noticeably sure but I think Sad wins by changing his game and not locking up as much and using his speed. I do not think Alborov will touch them. Honestly old man Ketov who is a bull and is very savvy has the best chance of knocking one of them off if he is wrestling.

Edited by PRyan2012

Snyder is not a huge 213 either. It actually is his perfect weight. He could go 203 if he had to. So the size between Snyder and Sad is not that great. It is noticeably sure but I think Sad wins by changing his game and not locking up as much and using his speed. I do not think Alborov will touch them. Honestly old man Ketov who is a bull and is very savvy has the best chance of knocking one of them off if he is wrestling.

i would wager a decent amount of money that Alborov outplaces Ketoev in Budapest. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Even being small last year, he lost a very close match in the finals.  I would expect this finals to be just as tough for Snyder.  Snyder will have to prepare for a meeting with Sad.  It will happen unless he drops a match before that.  That would be surprising, but we just saw it in Turkey.  If they do meet, it should prove to be a great match.  Sad has something to prove, and Snyder will want to shut him down and score. 

mspart

i would wager a decent amount of money that Alborov outplaces Ketoev in Budapest. 

Ok. I had those 4 in my final four. We will see. I just think Ketov's experience when Snyder/Saduleav are at their best bodes better for Ketov pulling an upset over Alborov.