Sign in to follow this  
superbowlhomeboy

Abe Assad to Iowa

Folk results are meh

So far

Two years ago he didn’t place at states I think

This year he went undefeated, won states, won cadet trials against a few ranked guys (freestyle), and then won a bronze at cadet worlds

He hasn’t had a chance to prove himself in folk against top level guys since he jumped levels. I expect at a minimum he beats some of the top 10 guys in folk.

Solid pickup for Iowa

Assad has made big weight jumps from year to year, going from 120 to 145 to 170. He won a big school state title this year in Illinois after not placing the two years before. The IHSA 3A state tournament is one of the top 5 state tourneys in the country (PA big schools, OH big schools, Cali single class, NJ single classs). If you can win that, you are legit in folkstyle. Additionally, his growth trajectory suggests he is still not physically mature and has lots of gains to be made. Guys like this usually end up doing well. Not an Iowa fan, but I'll predict that he's solid for them. 

Good article from Illinois Matmen...

http://illinoismatmen.com/2018/02/18/abe-assad-continues-the-streak-for-glenbard-north/ 

Nice pickup for Iowa, not where I would have guessed he'd end up. Perry connection?

Sounds like Izzy style connection and Morningstar played a big part.

Pretty good write up:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2018/08/06/abe-assad-commits-iowa-wrestling-tom-brands-hawkeyes-cadet-world-medalist/920225002/