Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Will Martin redshirt this season?

I like his chances for an NCAA title when he only has to worry about Valencia (assuming he moves up) in 2020 vs. Nickal and Valencia this season. Any tOSU folks know if they're considering redshirting him?

Could also make sense from a team perspective too, depending on who they've got coming up thru the ranks (don't know enough about who they have in redshirt to do a comparison of the '19 line-up vs. '20 lineup).

I can hardly see Valencia holding 174 this year, but who knows really. So Valencia may or may not be 184 this year, but can't see him being 174 the following year so Martin should not redshirt if he is doing so only to avoid Zahid. 

Zahid's brother is struggling at 165, let him take 174 and move up. 

The best long-term move for Zahid is to move to 184 now.  This primes him early to bulk and to build into the 86kg FS weight class.  That is the ultimate challenge, and ultimate goal.  Dethrone Taylor at 86kg, and represent the USA in as early as 2019 or for the 2020 OLY year.  

If this is his decision, the "stars" would align per se, and:

* 174:  Hall takes it over Amine

* 184:  Zahid takes it over Martin

* 197:  Nickal takes it over Moore/Warner

This looks like the best possible lineup to get the best possible wrestlers atop the podium for each weight class.  

Now...  here's the last catch... There IS a scenario that MyMar takes it from Zahid.  Although pinned by Nickal, everyone can agree that Nickal's BJJ move was brilliant, but also a little "flukey".  MyMar has the skill set (but maybe not the mind set) to beat Zahid and Nickal.  So... that's why they wrestle the matches!

Although pinned by Nickal, everyone can agree that Nickal's BJJ move was brilliant, but also a little "flukey".  MyMar has the skill set (but maybe not the mind set) to beat Zahid and Nickal.  So... that's why they wrestle the matches!

Hard to call it "flukey" when Nickal won 3 out of 3 meetings between the two last season.  Maybe a flukey pin but certainly not a fluke that he won.  

And to me, calling it a mindset issue is a discredit to both Nickal's talent, and Myles' toughness.  These are two of the most skilled wrestlers we have in the NCAA right now, Nickal has just been better more often so far.  

I doubt he is redshirting

Even though the pundits have written off tOSU next season, they have a solid shot at 2nd. They have 5 returning AAs, plus Heinselman, Hayes, Campbell, Romero and Singletary.

I’d be surprised if they ended up with less than 6 AAs. They will likely qualify 10 weights. Why would Martin redshirt?

The problem as I see it is that Zahid is just a little more gifted than Martin. Myles will be in the same position he was in with Nickal in that while he is probably one of the 6 or 8 best guys in the country P4P, one of the guys better than him is in his weight class. 

I’m a tOSU fan, but Zahid will wreck Martin if they wrestle at ncaas.

I think Zahid would beat Bo too, but it looks like Bo is going up so it won’t happen

I think this match would be ultra close. They wrestled twice, in free. Zahid won the first pretty easily, but the second was a 1 point match. And this was a couple years ago now. 

Hard to call it "flukey" when Nickal won 3 out of 3 meetings between the two last season.  Maybe a flukey pin but certainly not a fluke that he won.  

And to me, calling it a mindset issue is a discredit to both Nickal's talent, and Myles' toughness.  These are two of the most skilled wrestlers we have in the NCAA right now, Nickal has just been better more often so far.  

He's saying it was a fluky pin, and if it was anyone else I'd agree. Nickal, however, pulls off these improvisational moves so consistently that it's actually part of his style and not fluky at all.

I’m a tOSU fan, but Zahid will wreck Martin if they wrestle at ncaas.

What makes you say this? Not trying to argue - just want to hear the differing viewpoint.

IMHO, Miles' issue with Nickal is that he's so unconventional. As skilled as Zahid is, I don't expect he'll be catching Martin in a cement-mixer while going to his own back.

I see Zahid's length/leverage as one of his advantages at 174, but he loses that against Martin and is probably isn't as strong either.

Edited by Fletcher

Hard to call it "flukey" when Nickal won 3 out of 3 meetings between the two last season. Maybe a flukey pin but certainly not a fluke that he won.

And to me, calling it a mindset issue is a discredit to both Nickal's talent, and Myles' toughness. These are two of the most skilled wrestlers we have in the NCAA right now, Nickal has just been better more often so far.

The move was flukey by Nickal... you rarely see a wrestler of Martin’s caliber reversed and pinned in that manner. I would also agree that Nickal is more mentally tough. He seems to consistently wrestler at higher level while Martin, although not last year, takes some head scratching losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times does Bo Nickal have to pin top level opponents, many times which said opponent is in the "advantageous" position, before we stop calling it a fluke? 

Apparently the entire 18-19 season and for the rest of eternity.

Redshirting to avoid Nickal and then get Zahid seems pointless. At least Martin has beaten Nickal twice before. I don’t like his chances against Zahid at all. I agree Zahid is unlikely to hold 174 for two more years and I don’t think that’s aligned with his freestyle plans either. Likely he moves up, maybe even this year.

Redshirting to avoid Nickal and then get Zahid seems pointless. At least Martin has beaten Nickal twice before. I don’t like his chances against Zahid at all. I agree Zahid is unlikely to hold 174 for two more years and I don’t think that’s aligned with his freestyle plans either. Likely he moves up, maybe even this year.

For some reason, I kinda like that matchup for Myles (vs. Zahid).  I would favor Zahid like -1.5, but I think most would have Z a bigger favorite.  IF Zahid is bumping up, maybe we can see this at the all-star classic?