Sign in to follow this  
Aviator12

149 next season

With the departures of Zain and Sorensen and I’ll even include Perry here, is 149 gonna be as barren as it looks next season? If not, what big names, if any, are expected to bump up or down to this class?

The top returning players at 149 back next season are:

Matthew Kolodzik

Troy Heilmann

Grant Leeth

Boo Lewallen

The inspiration to my post was just listening to Tom Ryan’s most recent interview, in which he alluded to a possible lineup of Ke’Shawn Hayes going 141, Joey McKenna going 149, and Micah Jordan going 157.

This lineup would be another sacrifice from Micah Jordan considering Nolf still owns 157, but it probably is the best lineup for these 3. In particular McKenna, as Yanni and Eierman will remain major title threats. Although I personally feel McKenna absolutely can win at 141, the clear path to least resistance for a title for Joey you would think would be at 149 with all those seniors departing.

With the departures of Zain and Sorensen and I’ll even include Perry here, is 149 gonna be as barren as it looks next season? If not, what big names, if any, are expected to bump up or down to this class?

The top returning players at 149 back next season are:

Matthew Kolodzik

Troy Heilmann

Grant Leeth

Boo Lewallen

The inspiration to my post was just listening to Tom Ryan’s most recent interview, in which he alluded to a possible lineup of Ke’Shawn Hayes going 141, Joey McKenna going 149, and Micah Jordan going 157.

This lineup would be another sacrifice from Micah Jordan considering Nolf still owns 157, but it probably is the best lineup for these 3. In particular McKenna, as Yanni and Eierman will remain major title threats. Although I personally feel McKenna absolutely can win at 141, the clear path to least resistance for a title for Joey you would think would be at 149 with all those seniors departing.

I thought Heilmann graduated.

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.  I have to believe many 141 and 157 wrestlers from last year will be here.  149 is in the heart of the weight curve and will be plenty tough by March, it will just have a lot of guys who weren't returning at the weight.

Yeah... the whole tOSU 141-157 thing is an interesting situation.  As a fan, I'd prefer to see it go Hayes, Joey, and then Jordan.  I feel that Jordan is a good size for 157, and it will allow him to "eat" and "be big".  Joey can contend at 149, and potentially win the "depleted" class.  Hayes at 141 will be an extremely tough out, and may even slot as high as 3rd behind Yianni and Eierman.  If that's the weight they go, their absolute "best" placement could be as high as:

* 141 - 3rd

* 149 - 1st

* 157 - 2nd

With Pletcher at 133 being a Top 4, 184 with MyMar at 2nd, and 197 Moore at 2nd, that's not a "bad" showing at all.  I could theoretically see Moore sneaking by Nickal, as I'm unsure if Nickal's "wild style" will translate as much with the additional 13lbs.

Yeah... the whole tOSU 141-157 thing is an interesting situation. As a fan, I'd prefer to see it go Hayes, Joey, and then Jordan. I feel that Jordan is a good size for 157, and it will allow him to "eat" and "be big". Joey can contend at 149, and potentially win the "depleted" class. Hayes at 141 will be an extremely tough out, and may even slot as high as 3rd behind Yianni and Eierman. If that's the weight they go, their absolute "best" placement could be as high as:

* 141 - 3rd

* 149 - 1st

* 157 - 2nd

With Pletcher at 133 being a Top 4, 184 with MyMar at 2nd, and 197 Moore at 2nd, that's not a "bad" showing at all. I could theoretically see Moore sneaking by Nickal, as I'm unsure if Nickal's "wild style" will translate as much with the additional 13lbs.

Problem is, I don’t think McKenna is willing to go to 149 and Mica 157

I agree with your asssessment

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.

Makes Mark Schultz moving up a weight to try and prevent Ed Banach from becoming a 4X champ even more impressive.

Moving up or down a weight to avoid a big dog - not really an admirable move.

Last year was Leeth's first on the mat in 2 years.  Since he's already been granted two additional years after this year, he was technically a freshman in effect.  With wins over Heilman and Lewallen, he'll be tough to beat the next 3 years.

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.

Makes Mark Schultz moving up a weight to try and prevent Ed Banach from becoming a 4X champ even more impressive.

Slightly misleading - Banach was not a 3-timer going for his 4th when this happened.

I give tons of credit to guys seeking out a challenge, but I have no problem with any guy maximizing his chances to win.  Finding a 'weaker' weight class so you can become a National Champ is plenty admirable.  

I'm running with Leeth. Boo Lewallen is great on his feet, and mediocre every other position. I could see Boo making the semifinals, maybe, but I could also see him going 2-2 at NCAAs. Inconsistent. Kolodzik is solid, could see him making the finals.

I'd be surprised if Gfeller isn't at 149 next year and Lewallen at 157.

I thought so too.   If he didn't and Ashnault moved up, we'd have high school teammates meeting in the NCAA finals.   If he's gone, i think Ashnault wins this weight pretty easily 

Heilman did graduate, he is finished.

I'm running with Leeth. Boo Lewallen is great on his feet, and mediocre every other position. I could see Boo making the semifinals, maybe, but I could also see him going 2-2 at NCAAs. Inconsistent. Kolodzik is solid, could see him making the finals.

I'd be surprised if Gfeller isn't at 149 next year and Lewallen at 157.

Boo barely had the size for 149 last year.  Then OSU added Shomers from Edinboro at 157.  I seriously doubt Boo goes up and I doubt he makes the lineup if he does.  He doesn't have the body size for 157.

If he's gone, i think Ashnault wins this weight pretty easily 

Seriously?  Based on what?  Ashnault  went 3-3 down at 141 in his last NCAA tourny, and took 6th.  Now he bumps up a weight after missing a year due to injury, and suddenly people think he'll win it all?  I just don't get the rationale. 

Edited by KCMO2

Seriously?  Based on what?  Ashnault  went 3-3 down at 141 in his last NCAA tourny, and took 6th.  Now he bumps up a weight after missing a year due to injury, and suddenly people think he'll win it all?  I just don't get the rationale. 

Not people, fans from NJ.

He has made the semi finals his last two NCAA tournaments, 149 has cleared out...There is no clear cut favorite, it is not that much of a stretch that he could win it.