• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Aviator12

Aviator12

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

With the departures of Zain and Sorensen and I’ll even include Perry here, is 149 gonna be as barren as it looks next season? If not, what big names, if any, are expected to bump up or down to this class?

The top returning players at 149 back next season are:
Matthew Kolodzik
Troy Heilmann
Grant Leeth
Boo Lewallen

The inspiration to my post was just listening to Tom Ryan’s most recent interview, in which he alluded to a possible lineup of Ke’Shawn Hayes going 141, Joey McKenna going 149, and Micah Jordan going 157.

This lineup would be another sacrifice from Micah Jordan considering Nolf still owns 157, but it probably is the best lineup for these 3. In particular McKenna, as Yanni and Eierman will remain major title threats. Although I personally feel McKenna absolutely can win at 141, the clear path to least resistance for a title for Joey you would think would be at 149 with all those seniors departing.

#2 unbiased

unbiased

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

Ashnault should be in the mix here. I'll say top 4.
  • gowrestle likes this

#3 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:05 PM

Rutgers May get their first NC with Ashnault.
  • Cletus_Tucker likes this

#4 Erminio8

Erminio8

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:13 AM

With the departures of Zain and Sorensen and I’ll even include Perry here, is 149 gonna be as barren as it looks next season? If not, what big names, if any, are expected to bump up or down to this class?

The top returning players at 149 back next season are:
Matthew Kolodzik
Troy Heilmann
Grant Leeth
Boo Lewallen

The inspiration to my post was just listening to Tom Ryan’s most recent interview, in which he alluded to a possible lineup of Ke’Shawn Hayes going 141, Joey McKenna going 149, and Micah Jordan going 157.

This lineup would be another sacrifice from Micah Jordan considering Nolf still owns 157, but it probably is the best lineup for these 3. In particular McKenna, as Yanni and Eierman will remain major title threats. Although I personally feel McKenna absolutely can win at 141, the clear path to least resistance for a title for Joey you would think would be at 149 with all those seniors departing.

I thought Heilmann graduated.

#5 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:15 AM

Isn't O'Connor taking his place? He's pretty darn good himself. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#6 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:47 AM

Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Connor at 157 and Monday at 165, but based on no inside info - just looking at ages and frames. 

#7 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:09 AM

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.  I have to believe many 141 and 157 wrestlers from last year will be here.  149 is in the heart of the weight curve and will be plenty tough by March, it will just have a lot of guys who weren't returning at the weight.

#8 HokieFan

HokieFan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

Too bad about Chishko.  At his best, I would give him a pretty good chance over all those guys.

#9 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:07 AM

Yeah... the whole tOSU 141-157 thing is an interesting situation.  As a fan, I'd prefer to see it go Hayes, Joey, and then Jordan.  I feel that Jordan is a good size for 157, and it will allow him to "eat" and "be big".  Joey can contend at 149, and potentially win the "depleted" class.  Hayes at 141 will be an extremely tough out, and may even slot as high as 3rd behind Yianni and Eierman.  If that's the weight they go, their absolute "best" placement could be as high as:

* 141 - 3rd

* 149 - 1st

* 157 - 2nd

With Pletcher at 133 being a Top 4, 184 with MyMar at 2nd, and 197 Moore at 2nd, that's not a "bad" showing at all.  I could theoretically see Moore sneaking by Nickal, as I'm unsure if Nickal's "wild style" will translate as much with the additional 13lbs.

• Housebuye likes this

#10 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:04 AM

Yeah... the whole tOSU 141-157 thing is an interesting situation. As a fan, I'd prefer to see it go Hayes, Joey, and then Jordan. I feel that Jordan is a good size for 157, and it will allow him to "eat" and "be big". Joey can contend at 149, and potentially win the "depleted" class. Hayes at 141 will be an extremely tough out, and may even slot as high as 3rd behind Yianni and Eierman. If that's the weight they go, their absolute "best" placement could be as high as:
* 141 - 3rd
* 149 - 1st
* 157 - 2nd

With Pletcher at 133 being a Top 4, 184 with MyMar at 2nd, and 197 Moore at 2nd, that's not a "bad" showing at all. I could theoretically see Moore sneaking by Nickal, as I'm unsure if Nickal's "wild style" will translate as much with the additional 13lbs.

Problem is, I don’t think McKenna is willing to go to 149 and Mica 157

I agree with your asssessment

#11 unbiased

unbiased

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:54 AM

Problem is, I don’t think McKenna is willing to go to 149 and Mica 157

I agree with your asssessment

Do they have a say in it?

#12 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:52 AM

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.

Makes Mark Schultz moving up a weight to try and prevent Ed Banach from becoming a 4X champ even more impressive.

Moving up or down a weight to avoid a big dog - not really an admirable move.

#13 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:16 AM

Last year was Leeth's first on the mat in 2 years.  Since he's already been granted two additional years after this year, he was technically a freshman in effect.  With wins over Heilman and Lewallen, he'll be tough to beat the next 3 years.

#14 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:46 AM

The weight was thin last year because almost everyone who could (wisely) got away from Retherford.

Makes Mark Schultz moving up a weight to try and prevent Ed Banach from becoming a 4X champ even more impressive.

Slightly misleading - Banach was not a 3-timer going for his 4th when this happened.

#15 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

I give tons of credit to guys seeking out a challenge, but I have no problem with any guy maximizing his chances to win.  Finding a 'weaker' weight class so you can become a National Champ is plenty admirable.  

• herma48852 likes this

#16 ScarletKnight

ScarletKnight

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

I thought so too.   If he didn't and Ashnault moved up, we'd have high school teammates meeting in the NCAA finals.   If he's gone, i think Ashnault wins this weight pretty easily 

• gowrestle likes this

#17 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:27 PM

Ashnault should be in the mix here. I'll say top 4.

If he still remembers how to wrestle, that is.

#18 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

I'm running with Leeth. Boo Lewallen is great on his feet, and mediocre every other position. I could see Boo making the semifinals, maybe, but I could also see him going 2-2 at NCAAs. Inconsistent. Kolodzik is solid, could see him making the finals.

I'd be surprised if Gfeller isn't at 149 next year and Lewallen at 157.

#19 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

I hope Leeth starts opening up a bit more. It is tough to win ncaas with his current style.

He is an amazing wrestler. His positioning is excellent.

#20 Roadkill

Roadkill

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:09 AM

I thought so too.   If he didn't and Ashnault moved up, we'd have high school teammates meeting in the NCAA finals.   If he's gone, i think Ashnault wins this weight pretty easily 

Heilman did graduate, he is finished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users