Sign in to follow this  
Aviator12

149 next season

He has made the semi finals his last two NCAA tournaments, 149 has cleared out...There is no clear cut favorite, it is not that much of a stretch that he could win it.

His comment didn't come after someone said Ashnault could win it.  It came after someone said he'd win easily.  

Boo barely had the size for 149 last year.  Then OSU added Shomers from Edinboro at 157.  I seriously doubt Boo goes up and I doubt he makes the lineup if he does.  He doesn't have the body size for 157.

I'd tend to agree with you. Boo got bullied around several times last year against stronger opponents. But the problem is I don't think Boo can beat any of the other guys in that range at OSU. Picc/Fix will be 125/133, who knows what order (but Fix seems full grown at 125, Picc needs more muscle and has room for it). 141 I got Kaid Brock, and 149 Gfeller. That's the reason I got Boo at 157, I think Gfeller takes 149. Plus: I don't think Boo is all that great a wrestler. He's a fringe low-AA guy, and I can't see him rising much beyond that. His takedown skills (he's good on his feet) aren't enough to compensate for his mediocrity on bottom. On the other hand we don't know what Boo has been doing since last season. Maybe he's been eating protein powder and hitting the weights like a freak. He needs to. If he gets stronger I like his chances.

While on the topic of weight moves, I think Brock moving up to 141 won't be that great a deal either. He got bullied a few times at 133, which doesn't bode well for 141. Interestingly, OSU being so "rich" in the lighter weights may force moves which may result in weaker results, rather than stronger ones. On the other hand I didn't give Jordan Oliver a real good chance of winning when he bumped up to 149 a few years ago, and I was wrong. Maybe Brock was getting pushed around because he was tired, sapped out all the time, and would thrive at a higher weight? Maybe he'd thrive at 141 or 149.

Edited by TobusRex

I'd tend to agree with you. Boo got bullied around several times last year against stronger opponents. But the problem is I don't think Boo can beat any of the other guys in that range at OSU. Picc/Fix will be 125/133, who knows what order (but Fix seems full grown at 125, Picc needs more muscle and has room for it). 141 I got Kaid Brock, and 149 Gfeller. That's the reason I got Boo at 157, I think Gfeller takes 149. Plus: I don't think Boo is all that great a wrestler. He's a fringe low-AA guy, and I can't see him rising much beyond that. His takedown skills (he's good on his feet) aren't enough to compensate for his mediocrity on bottom. On the other hand we don't know what Boo has been doing since last season. Maybe he's been eating protein powder and hitting the weights like a freak. He needs to. If he gets stronger I like his chances.

While on the topic of weight moves, I think Brock moving up to 141 won't be that great a deal either. He got bullied a few times at 133, which doesn't bode well for 141. Interestingly, OSU being so "rich" in the lighter weights may force moves which may result in weaker results, rather than stronger ones. On the other hand I didn't give Jordan Oliver a real good chance of winning when he bumped up to 149 a few years ago, and I was wrong. Maybe Brock was getting pushed around because he was tired, sapped out all the time, and would thrive at a higher weight? Maybe he'd thrive at 141 or 149.

I think Brock struggles at 141.  It will make his bottom issues worse.

Boo on the other hand struggled on bottom early but got much better there as the year went on.  I think his bottom issues were largely weight related since he had none at 141 and they lessened at 149 as he grew into the weight.  As for Gfeller, he has talent but he's more 1 dimensional than Boo.  He's a big move guy who is great in neutral and has not shown a gas tank yet.  His best win was Nick Lee and he pinned him early.  That's impressive, but I'm not convinced he can win that match for 7 minutes.  This summer he was awesome in FS as long as the match didn't go past 3 minutes.  Boo already has better wins than Lee and a whole year's head start at 149.  I think it's Gfeller who is out of the lineup (unless Brock stays down and squeezes Picc out).  I think it's Shomers/Geo/Blaylock at 157.  

Seriously?  Based on what?  Ashnault  went 3-3 down at 141 in his last NCAA tourny, and took 6th.  Now he bumps up a weight after missing a year due to injury, and suddenly people think he'll win it all?  I just don't get the rationale. 

He was injured and didn't lose by much.   I akso think he was too big for 141 so hopefully he goes 149 which is up for grabs and i think he's the best one

Seriously? Based on what? Ashnault went 3-3 down at 141 in his last NCAA tourny, and took 6th. Now he bumps up a weight after missing a year due to injury, and suddenly people think he'll win it all? I just don't get the rationale.

No way it will be easy, but Ashnault is in the mix for the title

He has made the semis many times in a stacked weight. We often times see results improve when high level guys go up in weight.

There are many variables here, but anyone who becomes a champ has everything come together for them. Ashnault will need to have totally recovered from injuries, being enough for the weight, keep his cardio when moving up and go from losing squeakers to the best to winning them. He is just as likely to win as Micah Jordan I think.

I’d say 5:1 or so, but that may be tied for the best odds out of anyone at 149, unless Yianni moves up

No way it will be easy, but Ashnault is in the mix for the title

He has made the semis many times in a stacked weight. We often times see results improve when high level guys go up in weight.

There are many variables here, but anyone who becomes a champ has everything come together for them. Ashnault will need to have totally recovered from injuries, being enough for the weight, keep his cardio when moving up and go from losing squeakers to the best to winning them. He is just as likely to win as Micah Jordan I think.

I’d say 5:1 or so, but that may be tied for the best odds out of anyone at 149, unless Yianni moves up

Yep.  He'd easily be in the top tier when projecting results.  But in 2017 at 141 his best win was Pletcher.  He was 30-6 but he was 0-5 vs Jack/Heil/Eierman.  

He has been pretty good in 3 NCAA tournaments and made the semis twice, but in those tournaments he's beaten who he should and lost every high level match.  His NCAA wins are Longo, Horan, Cruz, Hudson, Mecate, non-AA 141 Gross, Chisko, Smith, Pletcher, and Kolodzik.  His NCAA losses are Heil, Eierman, Jack, McKenna, Heil, Mayes, Heil, Port.  This means he's beaten a 5th and 7th place finisher in 3 NCAAs while losing all 8 other matches against AAs.  His best career wins are Mecate, Randy Cruz, and Koldzik.  Those are good wins against low AA guys, but he is 0 for his career against top 5 guys.

So it's easy to project him to the top tier against other low AAs in a weight that has no returning studs, and it's easy to see him just as likely to win as the top returning 149s, but there is nothing to indicate he's above those guys.  

Yep.  He'd easily be in the top tier when projecting results.  But in 2017 at 141 his best win was Pletcher.  He was 30-6 but he was 0-5 vs Jack/Heil/Eierman.  

He has been pretty good in 3 NCAA tournaments and made the semis twice, but in those tournaments he's beaten who he should and lost every high level match.  His NCAA wins are Longo, Horan, Cruz, Hudson, Mecate, non-AA 141 Gross, Chisko, Smith, Pletcher, and Kolodzik.  His NCAA losses are Heil, Eierman, Jack, McKenna, Heil, Mayes, Heil, Port.  This means he's beaten a 5th and 7th place finisher in 3 NCAAs while losing all 8 other matches against AAs.  His best career wins are Mecate, Randy Cruz, and Koldzik.  Those are good wins against low AA guys, but he is 0 for his career against top 5 guys.

So it's easy to project him to the top tier against other low AAs in a weight that has no returning studs, and it's easy to see him just as likely to win as the top returning 149s, but there is nothing to indicate he's above those guys.  

Kolodzik hasn't been sitting around on his thumbs, either. He continued to get better while Ashnault was recovering. I think Kolodzik handles Ashnault quite handily if they meet up this year.

Kolodzik hasn't been sitting around on his thumbs, either. He continued to get better while Ashnault was recovering. I think Kolodzik handles Ashnault quite handily if they meet up this year.

Anthony Ashnault was a high school wrestler back in 2009!  He cannot still be wrestling in college.

...didn't he defeat 2X national finalist Bryce Meredith?

...oh right, that match didn't count

...didn't he defeat 2X national finalist Bryce Meredith?

...oh right, that match didn't count

He did beat Meredith at the 2016 All-Star classic.  I pulled everything from wrestlestat's excellent stats and they don't list that since it's an exhibition.  Totally my fault missing that one either way.  

But that match alone doesn't change almost anything I said.  He still fits in nicely with the top tier of guys.  Lewallen beat Meredith a month after that.  My point honestly wasn't to knock Ashnault.  It was that if you look beyond placement at his actual wins, he is pretty even with guys like Kolodzik, Leeth, and Lewallen (along with a handful of other guys who will likely come up or down into the weight class).  Ashnault is as likely to win as anyone in the weight, but he is not a tier above those guys.